Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Groceries!

Cost of Groceries!

Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

beehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cost of Groceries!

Yep..I too am horrified at the way food is skyrocketing so its the garden for me and canning. I am going to learn this art from Canadian friend as I do not have enough freezing space. Just I hope I can get the jars. I feel I wont be the only one doing canning this year. My whole back lawn is going to foodcrops. The front lawn with the flowers is for visitors. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beehappy
Just I hope I can get the jars.
Any farm sale will have them. Usually the deal is that you have to take them all rather than the number you bid on as the auctioneer's objective is to get rid of them.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentea3
No, but talking of Italy, I make 2 big pizza's from scratch using some organic ingredients for $3.50
What ingredients do you use for that price? as thats cheap!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:50 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Pm'd you
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beehappy
Yep..I too am horrified at the way food is skyrocketing so its the garden for me and canning. I am going to learn this art from Canadian friend as I do not have enough freezing space. Just I hope I can get the jars. I feel I wont be the only one doing canning this year. My whole back lawn is going to foodcrops. The front lawn with the flowers is for visitors. Wish me luck!
I did canning last year i made strawberry jam, and also green tomato chutney from the left over tomatoes in my garden that hadnt ripened, it was great fun. you can buy the jars in Canadian Tire. as for the garden, i only have a deck area although id like to apply for an allotment space. but i am growing, tomatoes, peppers, chillis, garlic, lettuce and herbs this year on my 3ft by 10ft deck. LOL
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If it is jars, then surely it is technically bottling rather than canning?

Canada is an interesting study in the cost and sustainability of food supply chains. Food has to travel a long way, even if it is domestically produced & that adds a signficant cost / carbon footprint. On the flipside the 100 mile diet or sourcing food locally can be a challenge because of climate & location.

We dabbled with veggie gardening last year with mixed results. A greenhouse is required to start things off / grow some of the hot house veggies we'd like. Now the snow has gone, I am turning my mind to building a lean-too greenhouse out of timber and polyethene alongside the garage. To preserve vegetables I might also consider some alternative to the traditional root cellar - a darkened and vented box - as well as freezing and bottling.

I'd also like to think about chickens. We have the land but not sure how it would go down with the neighbours/town.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I literally make EVERYTHING from scratch tehre is not one piece of processed food in my house, hence why i buy the tinned tomatoes, you can work magic with a tin of tomatoes and any scraps in your fridge. I also grow my own veggies in the summer. i also coupon and flyer shop too. im a frugal cook trust me LOL
What does the label say? Any mention of salt, citric acid or calcium chloride, or anything else routinely used in processed foods?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If it is jars, then surely it is technically bottling rather than canning?

Canada is an interesting study in the cost and sustainability of food supply chains. Food has to travel a long way, even if it is domestically produced & that adds a signficant cost / carbon footprint. On the flipside the 100 mile diet or sourcing food locally can be a challenge because of climate & location.

We dabbled with veggie gardening last year with mixed results. A greenhouse is required to start things off / grow some of the hot house veggies we'd like. Now the snow has gone, I am turning my mind to building a lean-too greenhouse out of timber and polyethene alongside the garage. To preserve vegetables I might also consider some alternative to the traditional root cellar - a darkened and vented box - as well as freezing and bottling.

I'd also like to think about chickens. We have the land but not sure how it would go down with the neighbours/town.
yeah the chooks can be noisy in the morning thats for sure. but my Dads nieghbours just bribe my Dad with eggs and he keeps his mouth shut LOL they produce about 300 a year!

I bought a little portable green house from Homedepot and keep it inside till it gets warmer my seedlings love it!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:27 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

IM thinking i might have to hit up a costco, is it really that much cheaper?
You def need to know your alternative prices and you will not be able to do all your shopping in just costco. We use it for tins, breads, meat, cereal, drinks and the odd fresh item (mushrooms, asian salad mix etc). You also need to become expert with breaking items down into smaller freezer bags etc.

We joined the Executive Membership for $100 (+ HST) including two membership cards and 2% cash back (up to $500).

Last edited by JB0591; Apr 13th 2011 at 4:35 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:30 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cyan
Technically it is cheaper based on unit/price ratio (because almost everything is packaged bigger in bulk sizes - you cannot buy small food items) - but you might end up fatter since you will probably eat it if it's under your roof. Your choice.
If it is under your roof you will probably eat it.....what a load of tosh....not when you are on a budget!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I literally make EVERYTHING from scratch tehre is not one piece of processed food in my house, hence why i buy the tinned tomatoes, you can work magic with a tin of tomatoes and any scraps in your fridge. I also grow my own veggies in the summer. i also coupon and flyer shop too. im a frugal cook trust me LOL
My husband laughs at me as I get antsy when I'm down to just one or two tins of tomatoes in the cupboard, if you have a tin of tomatoes and an onion you can make a meal out of anything
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My husband laughs at me as I get antsy when I'm down to just one or two tins of tomatoes in the cupboard, if you have a tin of tomatoes and an onion you can make a meal out of anything
You are my wife.

What another poster said about breaking things down is right. There are only two of us and we shop at Costco. The missus will buy a large slab of beef for about $60 and split it up into roasts, steaks etc, each individually bagged and then frozen. Ditto bread rolls, chicken breasts etc.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
ahhaaha its true, i bought Jamie Olivers book food revolution and hes base for everything is carrots, onion, celery and tinned tomatoes LOL I always have these in my house! I love making spaghetti sauce with the stewed ones i cant ever imagine buying ragu again!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone else noticed there grocery bill going through the roof recently. I live alone and had a budget of $200 A month for food, ive spent $300 so far! i went grocery shopping yesterday and was astonished at how everything has gone up. even in No Frills. for instance tinned tomatoes used to be 88cents now there $1.14 thats a 26 cent increase!

and spring onions, used to be 3 for 99cents now you only get 2.

this is getting ridiculous!
Definitely noticed it. More of a creep over the last year or so, rather than a big jump. Certain things like coffee have almost doubled in price. I also see that cheese in Superstore, has been repackaged with the word 'new' on it. Well it's half the size it used to be and the same price, so if that's 'new' you can stick it. I'm way keener now on making use of any special offers I see.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

There does not appear to be much an individual can do about food stuffs sourced overseas or far away, except not buy them.

However, the cost of cheese, eggs and milk, and all dairy derived foods in Canada is controlled by various milk and dairy marketing boards. These are cartels-dairy farmers pay to get a quota production on dairy products, including the cows that produce the milk. The boards I believe then set minimum prices for the product and go after any farmer who tries to operate outside the cartel. All this is done with the connivance of all the political parties who don't have the political will to shut down this consumer rip-off.
The government gives out the usual excuses for not acting on this matter, including food security, but the reality is that like the French and Italians, (CAP), cartels are an instrument used to get and keep political allegiance and keep out dairy imports.

Check out the price of cheese-and if you are in the U.S., compare. The difference is eye-watering. I love "The Cow that Laughs." I practically lived on it when I was a student. One of those little round packets was on sale in the Calgary Co-Op recently at $6.99. I was in the U.K. recently and there it cost about $1.00.

Let the utility and telecoms companies act to set prices, and the government steps right in, as they recently did with Bell and Telus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.