Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of drugs / filling prescriptions

Cost of drugs / filling prescriptions

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of drugs / filling prescriptions

New to the lark or having to pay for your own prescription medication (roll on pharmacare!). My wife take thyroxine and I (just recently) starting medication for mild hypertension.

We both just wandered to Rexalls next door to the Docs and got the prescriptions filled and meekly handed over the cash.

Question is (me being thrifty again), where is the cheapest place or best deal in buying prescription medications? Some have mentioned Shopper Drug Mart. Is there an internet place? Just curious, coz I just paid $130-ish for three months worth of pills and I am tight!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of drugs / filling prescriptions

The drug will cost the same wherever you get it.

The difference will be in the pharmacist's charge.

Phone around and ask how much each pharmacy charges to dispense a prescription.

It's always cheaper to buy a 3 month supply, as the dispensing fee is the same for each dispensing whether it is for 1 week, 1 month or 3 months.

The only time I would get a month or shorter prescription would be if the doctor recommended it for a new drug or a change of prescription, or if it was a short-term prescription (eg antibiotic)

I get my prescriptions from Safeway pharmacy, and pay a $10 dispensing fee. It might not be the cheapest in town, neither is it the most expensive, but it is convenient and easy for me to get to.

I've always thought time taken to drive around to find the cheapest price for something should be considered in with the value for money. My time is worth a lot!

Last edited by scilly; Mar 23rd 2018 at 8:09 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

The difference will be in the pharmacist's charge.

Phone around and ask how much each pharmacy charges to dispense a prescription.

It's always cheaper to buy a 3 month supply, as the dispensing fee is the same for each dispensing whether it is for 1 week, 1 month or 3 months.

The only time I would get a month or shorter prescription would be if the doctor recommended it for a new drug or a change of prescription, or if it was a short-term prescription (eg antibiotic)

I get my prescriptions from Safeway pharmacy, and pay a $10 dispensing fee. It might not be the cheapest in town, neither is it the most expensive, but it is convenient and easy for me to get to.

I've always thought time taken to drive around to find the cheapest price for something should be considered in with the value for money. My time is worth a lot!
Aaaah - OK, that simplifies things. Not bothered about $5 here or there. Yes, got a 3 months supply.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Now, someone will come on and say drugs are cheaper at Costco!!!

I don't have the patience to drive 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back (minimum) across town to find out!

FWIW ..... I'm on 3 hypertension drugs ........

a diuretic, 3 months supply costs $2.53 for the drug, $10 fee
Ramipril, 3 months $36.68 drug, $10 fee
Amlodipine, 3 months $143.55 drug, $10 fee.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't have the patience to drive 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back (minimum) across town to find out!

Ill probably get the prescriptions filled at Costco next time anyway. I am already a member and I can time it so I can do it on one of our regular trips so I wouldn't make a special trip (I can gas up at the same time and save $$$$

I'm only on a low dose of Viacoram. I was hoping the 'Via' prefix might bestow some desirable side effects, but nothing out of the ordinary so far
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Ill probably get the prescriptions filled at Costco next time anyway. I am already a member and I can time it so I can do it on one of our regular trips so I wouldn't make a special trip (I can gas up at the same time and save $$$$

I'm only on a low dose of Viacoram. I was hoping the 'Via' prefix might bestow some desirable side effects, but nothing out of the ordinary so far
Taking Viacoram is your problem. Viacoram is the brand name for 2 very common generics. Next time ask the GP for prescriptions for amlodipine and perindopril. It will probably be cheaper to get the 2 generics than the one brand name.

It's the same for things like Lipitor vs. generic atorvastatin. There's a huge difference in the price for the same medication.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:23 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Finally I will bite as people need facts, not guesswork. Simply not true - big variability between drug stores-similar dispensing fees apart from Costco but drug prices vary significantly from pharmacy to pharmacy- Use PharmacyCompass- website a useful price comparison site in BC - it shows the differing amounts
Example- 10mg Amlodipine at Cold Harbour Pharmacy Vancouver $1.08 per pill, Most others charge about 33-35c per pill, about a third of the price .

[QUOTE=scilly;12468728]Now, someone will come on and say drugs are cheaper at Costco!!!

Amlodipine, 3 months $143.55 drug, $10 fee.[/QUOTE]

Then clearly you are being ripped off

I would agree with Dorothy, Viacorum is not covered as combination of two cheaper generic meds - OK if you have extended benefits. Perindopril is no longer easy to get covered in BC which is a pig given that it is a very effective med.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 23rd 2018 at 11:40 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Long time no see stinkypup.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:44 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Long time no see stinkypup.
Thanks JS, just cruising on through, righting wrongs and then disappearing back into the night
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Stinkypup;12468792]OK, Finally I will bite as people need facts, not guesswork. Simply not true - big variability between drug stores-similar dispensing fees apart from Costco but drug prices vary significantly from pharmacy to pharmacy- Use PharmacyCompass- website a useful price comparison site in BC - it shows the differing amounts
Example- 10mg Amlodipine at Cold Harbour Pharmacy Vancouver $1.08 per pill, Most others charge about 33-35c per pill, about a third of the price .

Amlodipine, 3 months $143.55 drug, $10 fee.[/QUOTE]

Then clearly you are being ripped off

I would agree with Dorothy, Viacorum is not covered as combination of two cheaper generic meds - OK if you have extended benefits. Perindopril is no longer easy to get covered in BC which is a pig given that it is a very effective med.

I just knew someone would correct me

Possibly am paying a lot ............... but I also am not about to get OH to drive all over Vancouver to find the cheapest deal.

Plus I know the pharmacists and their technicians, and as you know, they are the ones who keep an eye on possible drug interactions ......... I prefer to keep going to the same pharmacy

It's also why we pay huge amounts to both the government and private insurance ............ so we can afford to spend our time doing what we want instead of driving all over.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:58 pm
I need a walk

[QUOTE=scilly;12468803]
Originally Posted by Stinkypup
OK, Finally I will bite as people need facts, not guesswork. Simply not true - big variability between drug stores-similar dispensing fees apart from Costco but drug prices vary significantly from pharmacy to pharmacy- Use PharmacyCompass- website a useful price comparison site in BC - it shows the differing amounts

I just knew someone would correct me

Possibly am paying a lot ............... but I also am not about to get OH to drive all over Vancouver to find the cheapest deal.

Plus I know the pharmacists and their technicians, and as you know, they are the ones who keep an eye on possible drug interactions ......... I prefer to keep going to the same pharmacy

It's also why we pay huge amounts to both the government and private insurance ............ so we can afford to spend our time doing what we want instead of driving all over.
Yeah- I think I would travel to a vast range of pharmacies in all areas of Vancouver and say pay $28 plus $11 dispensing fee versus your $140 odd plus dispensing fee- a bit of a no brainer, you clearly have money to burn.

The reason that I have made a rare and brief reappearance, is whilst I think your intentions are good, you should really resist responding to a question without actually knowing the facts - people need to know the facts, not assumptions or guesswork... I have to say that this certainly isnt the first time.........The Caped Canine slinks off once again back into the shadows
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:14 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

OK,
Finally I will bite as people need facts, not guesswork. Simply not true - big variability between drug stores-similar dispensing fees apart from Costco but drug prices vary significantly from pharmacy to pharmacy
Absolutely true. At my old job, our extended medical provider sent a representative showing a PowerPoint about our benefits (as they would be changing slightly).

On it was a chart of dispensing fee prices across a range of pharmacies.

Rexell was one of the worst.

I go to Costco for groceries so it makes sense to get any medication dispensed from there.

Welcome back btw!!!
Old Mar 24th 2018, 2:18 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

They are and they offer home delivery. https://www.costcopharmacy.ca/default.aspx
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you come back one day again.

Thanks JS, just cruising on through, righting wrongs and then disappearing back into the night
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

........The Caped Canine slinks off once again back into the shadows
Nice to see you Caped Canine. Don't be a stranger here.

I'll be in your neck of the woods in early to mid June and we would love catch up with you and Snoop for a drink while we're there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.