Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The cost comparison thread...

The cost comparison thread...

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost comparison thread...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The house bricks of "cheddar" and "mozzarella" you get in supermarkets don't really count as cheese. Canadian cheddar at the deli counter or the poncy food section is pricier, but it does at least taste ok. Well relatively.
I'm leaving for the airport in half an hour and will be in Normandy tomorrow.

This discussion about the price of cheddar seems a bit irrelevant.

Au revoir et bon juilliet et aout mes amis.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm leaving for the airport in half an hour and will be in Normandy tomorrow.

This discussion about the price of cheddar seems a bit irrelevant.

Au revoir et bon juilliet et aout mes amis.
Tatty bye.

Have a great summer and take lots of pics with the new camera.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The house bricks of "cheddar" and "mozzarella" you get in supermarkets don't really count as cheese. Canadian cheddar at the deli counter or the poncy food section is pricier, but it does at least taste ok. Well relatively.
The breeze blocks to which you refer taste ok to me. But it's not top class cheese, more cooking or sandwich cheese. The sharp cheddar is very tasty but it's hardly a treat. I can imagine however that Canadian cheddar would be more expensive in UK than in Canada, as that makes total sense. I suppose I'm comparing cost of local, bulk cheese, and for that I think the UK prices on British Cheddar, are quite a bit lower than Canadian Cheddar in their respective countries. The US is about half the Canadian price for the same, run of the mill, cooking cheese. Definitely one of the items I pick up when I'm down there
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
It's not swings and roundabouts at all. Yes some things are cheaper although I don't know how you can think cheese is. It's double the price in Canada, but because of this they often price it in $/100g making it appear nicely priced. Also you might see a cost looking like it's per block of cheese, but it's per KG so you pick one up and it's 2-3 times the price you saw.
The cheddar we usually buy is $11/lb. Last week there was no time to go to the market so we tried so local stuff, it was $24/lb (eek!). So, around here, no price confusion. Some unreasonable prices though.