Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Canadian universities

Wikiposts

Cost of Canadian universities

Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Canadian universities

Originally Posted by Oink
Students pay for books? Mostly the books, (although a "requirement") were completely unnecessary, we'd go a speak to the professor before the beginning of the course and see if we really needed them and if so, we'd photo copy them in the department's copy room at night for free. The only books I bought were ones that I thought I'd keep for reference. I'm sure students these days just pirate e-copies of them.
In my experience the queue for the photocopiers in the University library were there busiest the day the course reading lists came out each semester.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
In my experience the queue for the photocopiers in the University library were there busiest the day the course reading lists came out each semester.

In grad school most of the profs would put the reading material for the class on loan in the library then we could all copy it. Not strictly legal but no one complained and saved us poor graduate students about $150 per course.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Wondering the approximate cost of undergrad Canadian university and residency considerations? Has anyone been through this recently? In the UK the ballpark figure (as many will know) is £9K tuition p.a. and it's said to be one of the priciest places to study now. And, yes, I do know that Google is my friend, but so is BE, and just want the quick and dirty on it at the mo...

Tuition fees by university - Universities Canada
Residence fees are available online for many Canadian universities.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:19 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Tuition fees by university - Universities Canada
Residence fees are available online for many Canadian universities.
Thank you.

Actually, by residency considerations I meant how much time do you need to spend in Canada to meet resident / non-international fee requirements. Currently we are in the UK.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Actually, by residency considerations I meant how much time do you need to spend in Canada to meet resident / non-international fee requirements. Currently we are in the UK.
My understanding of the system here is that classification as an 'international student' is reserved for those who do not have the right to permanent residence in the country, ie. those who are not citizens or PRs. It's not a time-dependent issue AFAIK.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
My understanding of the system here is that classification as an 'international student' is reserved for those who do not have the right to permanent residence in the country, ie. those who are not citizens or PRs. It's not a time-dependent issue AFAIK.
International fees may depend on immigration status but "out of Province" fees do not. We paid a premium for university in NS and in Qc for being resident in ON. I suppose someone resident in the UK would count as "out of Province" if not International. At least in Qc establishing residency for this purpose only takes a year so the second and subsequent year fees are at the domestic rate (at least they were in the instance that mattered to me).
Old Sep 6th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Suspicions confirmed, much less expensive!

It's surprising that books are still such an issue, if anyone should be using e-readers it's a 21st century university student.
Canada can be much cheaper certainly but it does vary significantly with course and location. It seems that Ontario is generally more expensive. U of T tuition fees can vary from $6k pa to $14k pa. Add $2k pa for "incidentals" plus $700 booklist. For 8 months accommodation with meal plan add another $13k or so. Factor in 4 years rather than 3.

The likes of Lethbridge and Regina are pretty cheap. Calgary and UofA are also pretty cheap for anyone who would wish to go to such a place.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Canada can be much cheaper certainly but it does vary significantly with course and location. It seems that Ontario is generally more expensive. U of T tuition fees can vary from $6k pa to $14k pa. Add $2k pa for "incidentals" plus $700 booklist. For 8 months accommodation with meal plan add another $13k or so. Factor in 4 years rather than 3.

The likes of Lethbridge and Regina are pretty cheap. Calgary and UofA are also pretty cheap for anyone who would wish to go to such a place.
Canadian Universities are cheap for a reason. The 2015 World Universites Ranking is out: these are where Canadian Unis rank...

QS World University Rankings® 2015/16 | Top Universities

If you scroll down far enough and know where I used to work, you can figure out why I retired at the first possible moment.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 7:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Canadian Universities are cheap for a reason. The 2015 World Universites Ranking is out: these are where Canadian Unis rank...

If you scroll down far enough and know where I used to work, you can figure out why I retired at the first possible moment.

Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:27 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Well McGill is cheap because Quebec has always made cheap tuition a priority. At #24, it seems there's some talent that don't mind paying less.

Per capita, Canada's university rankings are somewhat behind the US. Canada, unlike the US, does not have an established network of extremely wealthy private universities that can afford the very top 0.01% of professors and facilities. Of course those institutions take the top spots, and deservedly so.

The top-ranked schools in Canada also tend to be the biggest in the country and hence, there are fewer. University of Toronto's 3 campuses have in total something like 80,000 students - massive for a country of Canada's population - but obviously only gets a single spot on the list. To put this into perspective, the largest university in the US is the University of Central Florida, which has lower enrolment than U of T in a country 9 times the population.

And of course, some schools are known for certain disciplines. University of Waterloo is ranked 152 in that list but if I'm not mistaken I believe its engineering department (and engineering is Waterloo's "thing") is easily top 50, possibly top 25. Of course this sort of qualifier can be made for many universities in Canada and elsewhere.

Anyway, interesting that a ranking that apparently shows Canada in a positive light is disregarded, but a ranking that apparently (though not really, for stated reasons) shows Canada in a negative is accepted without question.

Last edited by viajero; Sep 6th 2016 at 9:09 am.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
Well McGill is cheap because Quebec has always made cheap tuition a priority. At #24, it seems there's some talent that don't mind paying less.

Per capita, Canada's university rankings are somewhat behind the US. Canada, unlike the US, does not have an established network of extremely wealthy private universities that can afford the very top 0.01% of professors and facilities. Of course those institutions take the top spots, and deservedly so.

The top-ranked schools in Canada also tend to be the biggest in the country and hence, there are fewer. University of Toronto's 3 campuses have in total something like 80,000 students - massive for a country of Canada's population - but obviously only gets a single spot on the list. To put this into perspective, the largest university in the US is the University of Central Florida, which has lower enrolment than U of T in a country 9 times the population.

And of course, some schools are known for certain disciplines. University of Waterloo is ranked 152 in that list but if I'm not mistaken I believe its engineering department (and engineering is Waterloo's "thing") is easily top 50, possibly top 25. Of course this sort of qualifier can be made for many universities in Canada and elsewhere.

Anyway, interesting that a ranking that apparently shows Canada in a positive light is disregarded, but a ranking that apparently (though not really, for stated reasons) shows Canada in a negative is accepted without question.
Could you please parse that post for content, because I believe it has none.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:04 am
Banned

Could you please parse that post for content, because I believe it has none.
It requires a touch of impartiality.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:08 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by viajero
It requires a touch of impartiality.
Ah, I see. It's just that you seem to have confused size with quality. I suppose the two may be the same if we restrict the debate to a certain organ, but not to Universities.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:19 am

Ah, I see. It's just that you seem to have confused size with quality. I suppose the two may be the same if we restrict the debate to a certain organ, but not to Universities.

Very true, as do many/most university administrators.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:20 am
Banned

Ah, I see. It's just that you seem to have confused size with quality.
No I have not. I can't see how anyone could have honestly interpreted my post that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.