Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Corruption in high places

Wikiposts

Corruption in high places

Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Corruption in high places

The preliminary findings of the Gomery report are back.
"Justice Gomery delivered a scathing assessment of the program, saying its irregularities and mismanagement were even worse and more widespread than earlier imagined."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../BNStory/Front

Liberals are spinning it that Martin was not involved and has put a stop to this sort of thing and the civil service culture of fear that allowed it to go unchecked for so long. Sure he has
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:36 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Corruption in high places

Originally Posted by iaink
Liberals are spinning it that Martin was not involved and has put a stop to this sort of thing and the civil service culture of fear that allowed it to go unchecked for so long. Sure he has
Martin's argument that he knew nothing isn't a very good one. Claiming to be the finance minister who didn't know where the money went hardly boosts one's credibility.

Still, the Liberals are the party of government in Canada. The right can't organise a piss up in a brewery and come with all manner of sinister religious baggage as well as being equally corrupt as the Liberals.

I expect Belinda Stronach will be PM in due course.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:42 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
Martin's argument that he knew nothing isn't a very good one. Claiming to be the finance minister who didn't know where the money went hardly boosts one's credibility.

Actually, its the auditor general who is supposed to police things, and she was the one who uncovered the problems, so that system worked.

Think about it, would you really trust a politician...any politician, to be in charge of the money! :scared:
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:52 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

"Kickbacks" ?

Surely not, never ever people aren't in that handshake game for the glittering prizes ? And here's me thinking they are all good stand up citizens.

Rich.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:16 am
Banned

bourassa is on a distinguished road

The gomery report is now online, you can read all the 137 or so pages of it. Chretien and his cronies apparently are to be blamed.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:27 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourassa
The gomery report is now online, you can read all the 137 or so pages of it. Chretien and his cronies apparently are to be blamed.
No wonder he retired. As a bonus, he gets to knacker Martin's political career.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No wonder he retired. As a bonus, he gets to knacker Martin's political career.

They make the Blair Govt look like saints
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:37 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

They make the Blair Govt look like saints

Corruption has always been a feature of Canadian political life, Mulroney and Airbus, Layton and the two salaries, that senator who had his pay forwarded to South America, it doesn't excite Canadians. I can live with this hand in the till stuff so long as the government doesn't do anything. We have more than enough laws already, thank you.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:47 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
Corruption has always been a feature of Canadian political life, Mulroney and Airbus, Layton and the two salaries, that senator who had his pay forwarded to South America, it doesn't excite Canadians. I can live with this hand in the till stuff so long as the government doesn't do anything. We have more than enough laws already, thank you.
And the odds are that I will vote Liberal. As will the other thousands of PRs currently/shortly being converted to citizens at high speed. We're natural Liberal voters (especially in Quebec).

According to my missus, in the 2-3 weeks before the last Quebec referendum some 40,000 Quebec-based PRs were citizenised, with citizenship judges being flown in from all over Canada to help out. I wonder why that might have been?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:55 am
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And the odds are that I will vote Liberal.
I've only voted once in Canada, that was against Kyle Rae in a local election. I did that because he had offended me personally and because the polling station was in our apartment building; it was hard to avoid.

As an immigrant I don't think I should vote, it's not really my country and, in the end, it doesn't very much matter to me what the government does, if it's too horrible I'll just move on. I'm always happy to see the Liberals elected but I don't feel involved.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Ah there you are. I hear you're from the K-W area...what a coincidence eh?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by willmore
Ah there you are. I hear you're from the K-W area...what a coincidence eh?
Are you from round here also, whereabouts?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Are you from round here also, whereabouts?
I think you already know that dont you?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by willmore
I think you already know that dont you?
Who is this?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:11 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd
As an immigrant I don't think I should vote, it's not really my country and, in the end, it doesn't very much matter to me what the government does, if it's too horrible I'll just move on. I'm always happy to see the Liberals elected but I don't feel involved.
Ooh I so disagree, once a Citizen I think everyone should vote. Won't you run out of countries to move to after a while?

the question is - election before Christmas (which I don't think will be popular) or in the Spring?

I don't think I could vote Liberal - I definitely will never vote Conservative, but the NDP make me uneasy.

Clare
sitting on the political fence....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.