Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Corruption in Canada

Corruption in Canada

Old May 24th 2011, 4:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corruption in Canada

Originally Posted by Souvy
As of last Saturday, the mortal world is populated only by corrupt people.

Apparently.
So pretty much no change from last Friday then.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
As of last Saturday, the mortal world is populated only by corrupt people.

Apparently.
N'ah, he "miscalculated". Gotta wait another 5 months it seems. Get the red pen out for 21st October in your diary.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
If you are thinking of moving to Canada remember to pack your brown envelopes.

Any one who has ever had any "friends' in the OPP knows exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2032347/
I read the article. It's hardly scientific to deduce that Canada must be corrupt because there haven't been as many bribery prosecutions as in other countries. Couldn't fewer prosecutions just as easily mean that Canada actually has LESS corruption? Lack of enforcement doesn't necessarily mean that laws are being broken.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 24th 2011 at 4:17 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Transparency International really gets Canada. They're chiding firms in Canada for using bribes abroad but it's usual to bribe on government contracts within Canada; no one supplies to the Workmen's Compensation Board or the Toronto government without spreading a few TVs and small cars around, so of course Canadian firms are going to bribe on foreign contracts. I wouldn't have thought there were enough Canadian firms active in world markets for this to matter, they'd likely do better to look at Ukranian or Russian enterprises and their dealings abroad or, for an easy target, future hosts of the World Cup.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not in the nealry 16 years I've been here. I've always been open to offers, but nobody did.
This is the most corrupt culture I've ever borne witness. Fortunately, I'm extremely receptive to bribery. Although in my defense I have put up my ethical threshold in recent years.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Oink
This is the most corrupt culture I've ever borne witness. Fortunately, I'm extremely receptive to bribery. Although in my defense I have put up my ethical threshold in recent years.
I think one of the best instructions that I received from a Boss, when he hired me. "You will be offered bribes, for favours, but the only one that is worth taking is the one that lets you retire the next day" Or as my father would say, " if you are going to steal, steal big, because you are going to do the same amount of jail time"
Old May 24th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

I dunno if you can tar all of Canada with the corruption brush, but after 10 years in T.O, I was in Montreal for 5 years & that really is the wild west. There was an enlightening article in Macleans last year which showed the level of corruption in la belle province- as a resident of Quebec, I had a feeling that corruption was systemic, but the reality really surprised me. Of course, the corruption, for example, during the building of the 1976 Olympic Stadium was well known even before this article, but the rot at the government & building level is not found at the same levels anywhere else in Canada.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

we absoloutely have.

And it was really bloody scary just how high up it went.....we met the people through our kids got to know them and the next thing, for some reason I got a bad feeling, so I googled them. They were all over the internet for being known fraudsters and were STILL landing certain types of contracts that could only be got through greasing someones palm with a few notes. Shocking in some ways but this is still a mans world I feel so not that shocking, and when I say that I mean kinda old fashioned, at least here in Alberta anyway :O)
Old May 26th 2011, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Silken will become famous soon enough

Who are you getting that info from? My family's been here for generations and never once have I heard of such a thing.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silken
Who are you getting that info from? My family's been here for generations and never once have I heard of such a thing.
Are you saying that you are not aware of corruption in Quebec? You should at least read:- http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/09/24/t...rupt-province/
Old May 26th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Are you saying that you are not aware of corruption in Quebec? You should at least read:- http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/09/24/t...rupt-province/
I understood they were talking about the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) but maybe I misread. I really don't follow what is going on with police forces in Quebec.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Silken,

In Quebec, police force corruption is the least of their worries, city hall & the building industry is so riddled with corruption that we, the end user, is impacted in every day life.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howick
Silken,

In Quebec, police force corruption is the least of their worries, city hall & the building industry is so riddled with corruption that we, the end user, is impacted in every day life.
Well sorry to hear that Howick. All I can say is I've never heard of nor experienced any police nor municipal, etc. corruption myself and born and raised here. Not saying it doesn't happen of course since I'm sure corruption is something that happens everywhere, but no personal experience with it here.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive never witnessed any here... has anyone else?
There was the Sponsorship Scandal, plus others listed, if you count that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_scandal

Last edited by johnh009; May 26th 2011 at 10:23 pm.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Silken,

You are born & raised in Quebec & you have never heard of corruption in Quebec?

What colour is the sky in your world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.