Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Our imminent move

Coronavirus - Our imminent move

Old Mar 7th 2020, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - Our imminent move

You might be stopped at the airport as they are testing passengers from certain countries and UK might be on that list by the time you come.

At the moment, it seems to me that you have a much greater chance of catching the virus in the UK than here.

Like most of the people on here, I think you'd be very silly to turn down this chance, especially with that job offer which almost no-one gets before arriving. Just take the precautions suggested .....

...... wash hands frequently and thoroughly in hot water and soap. One Provincial Medical Officer suggested washing your hands as thoroughly and for as long as you would if you had been chopping jalapeno peppers and needed to change your contacts.

........ wash hands before leaving the house, as soon as getting to school or job, before leaving and as soon as you get home, before and after meals, as well as as often as you can in between times.

..... use hand sanitizers or wipes only in an emergency as they are not really effective

...... don't touch your face, especially your mouth, nose (eg picking it) or your eyes.

....... sneeze or cough into your elbow not out into the air

...... wipe your phone, tablet etc frequently, possibly with anti-bacterial wipes.

...... teach your children all the above, and make sure they do it.

...... stay home (self-isolate) if any of you feel symptoms coming one, and phone the health line for help.

Canada learnt a lot about containment during the SARS epidemic in 2003 and the H1N1 in 2009, and no-one here has sggested that containment is not still possible.

Remember Canada is a much bigger place, and there are not as many crowds as in the UK. You can easily avoid going to the cinema, sports events, etc. Transit could be a problem, although buses, trains, etc are being cleaned regularly (at least they are here in BC, and I suppose Toronto is no different).
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Remember Canada is a much bigger place, and there are not as many crowds as in the UK. You can easily avoid going to the cinema, sports events, etc. Transit could be a problem, although buses, trains, etc are being cleaned regularly (at least they are here in BC, and I suppose Toronto is no different).
This is a good point that doesn't get said much. Commuting is mainly by car and offices, restaurants. etc are more spacious.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 9:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
This is a good point that doesn't get said much. Commuting is mainly by car and offices, restaurants. etc are more spacious.
Couldn’t agree more, often not mentioned...I look back on my days of commuting into Hyde Park Corner from Stratford East and I probably encountered 250,000 people daily and shared the same air. Fredericton is NOT Toronto, but I’ve never been jostled, not a chance of a jostle here...and right now that’s a good thing!
Old Mar 8th 2020, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterdiva
With no ONIP, £300k private insurance cover, no support network, 2 kids and a contract job in Toronto - it all seems too risky a move at this point....

I'm keen to hear your thoughts and advice. What would you do?
The physical risk of contracting COVID-19 is, at this point in time, essentially the same in both Canada and the UK, i.e. currently minimal, but evolving. Like most others on this thread, I certainly wouldn't defer or knock back a solid job offer, that underpins an established migration plan, due to the virus.

But it is prudent to mitigate any economic risk involved, however minimal its likelihood. Check your insurance cover, both for travel to Canada, and for the waiting period before OHIP kicks in. If you've already bought cover, *make sure* it continues to apply to COVID-19, and expect to need to *press hard* on this before you get clear answers from your insurer(s). If you have yet to buy cover, expect a much-higher-than-typical price for it to include "all perils" cover.

But again, IMHO it would be better to migrate now rather than later, despite any higher interim cost you might incur for insurance cover. COVID-19 looks set to be a 18-24 month problem, before a vaccine becomes widely available. I certainly wouldn't put your migration plan on hold for that long, due to a disease you might never get.

Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't think this is true. Canada is a large country but the inhabited part is a thin strip along the US border. I work in an office where I have a desk five feet wide in a row of, perhaps fifty, desks. Behind me and in front of me are more rows of "work stations". The occupants of the work stations are people recently arrived from all over the world. People shun those who look "Chinese" even if they were born in Canada, have never left and their parents were from Laos anyway. It's bonkers but there is a real risk; lots of people go to China and lots of others go to Italy. Many people, perhaps the majority, arrive at work by bus or by train or in car pools though there's a fashion now for single occupant vehicles. Restaurants may historically have been more spacious here; redneck Canadians do tend to be fat but I don't know that that holds since Trudeau the elder.

In short, while I personally take no note of this week's fashionable disease, for those who do southern Ontario is not safer than, and probably less safe than, Golders Green.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Redneck Canadians do tend to be fat but I don't know that that holds since Trudeau the elder.
i.e. You haven't had a clue about the physical state of "redneck Canadians" since 1984. ;-)

[Edit: I'll grant you the Ford brothers, but don't think most bong-huffing rednecks ahh, 'measure up' to their standard.]

Last edited by abner; Mar 8th 2020 at 3:37 am.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
i.e. You haven't had a clue about the physical state of "redneck Canadians" since 1984. ;-)

[Edit: I'll grant you the Ford brothers, but don't think most bong-huffing rednecks ahh, 'measure up' to their standard.]
Rob Ford was very kind to me, I won't hear a bad word about him. I bet on him in a death pool. Otherwise, the two or three cradles I meet in the course of a week have the physique of a former ice hockey player; Don Cherry.. I'm sure there are fit cradle Canadians, in BC or wherever, but you don't see them around here.

What I was getting at though is that, people are generally not from Canada anymore so they're not so fat, so the tables are likely closer together now, same as everywhere else.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 8th 2020 at 4:08 am.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is true. Canada is a large country but the inhabited part is a thin strip along the US border. I work in an office where I have a desk five feet wide in a row of, perhaps fifty, desks. Behind me and in front of me are more rows of "work stations". The occupants of the work stations are people recently arrived from all over the world. People shun those who look "Chinese" even if they were born in Canada, have never left and their parents were from Laos anyway. It's bonkers but there is a real risk; lots of people go to China and lots of others go to Italy. Many people, perhaps the majority, arrive at work by bus or by train or in car pools though there's a fashion now for single occupant vehicles. Restaurants may historically have been more spacious here; redneck Canadians do tend to be fat but I don't know that that holds since Trudeau the elder.

In short, while I personally take no note of this week's fashionable disease, for those who do southern Ontario is not safer than, and probably less safe than, Golders Green.

Other parts of Canada are very different from where you are!
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by scilly
Other parts of Canada are very different from where you are!
Fair enough, the only parts I know about are southern Ontario and Vancouver.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not corna virus I’m worried about

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/01...n-coronavirus/
Old Mar 8th 2020, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough, the only parts I know about are southern Ontario and Vancouver.

......... and you don't know as much as you think you know about Vancouver!

I think my 50+ years of living here gives me the right to say I know more than you do.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thank a ton everyone! We are still waiting to hear from them! Fingers crossed and hopeful !
Old Mar 12th 2020, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
The physical risk of contracting COVID-19 is, at this point in time, essentially the same in both Canada and the UK, i.e. currently minimal, but evolving. Like most others on this thread, I certainly wouldn't defer or knock back a solid job offer, that underpins an established migration plan, due to the virus.

But it is prudent to mitigate any economic risk involved, however minimal its likelihood. Check your insurance cover, both for travel to Canada, and for the waiting period before OHIP kicks in. If you've already bought cover, *make sure* it continues to apply to COVID-19, and expect to need to *press hard* on this before you get clear answers from your insurer(s). If you have yet to buy cover, expect a much-higher-than-typical price for it to include "all perils" cover.

But again, IMHO it would be better to migrate now rather than later, despite any higher interim cost you might incur for insurance cover. COVID-19 looks set to be a 18-24 month problem, before a vaccine becomes widely available. I certainly wouldn't put your migration plan on hold for that long, due to a disease you might never get.
IMHO the dangers of the virus are very low in Canada. The danger is bigger from the reaction of others, business decisions not taking place, no hiring, government offices closing up early. The real issue you will have is you might find that certain government offices would close without any warning. Ontario announced that they would close any public schools for some time after March break. The same could happen with OHIP, Service Ontario, Driver's License applications and all your other first steps in Canada, like getting a SIN number. So far there is no indication yet, that Services Ontario might close, however, I wouldn't completely rule it out.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
IMHO the dangers of the virus are very low in Canada.
Why on earth would you think that? Country of immigrants, many frequent travellers to Italy, China, Korea, Iran,, open border to a country with an administration derelict in its duties to healthcare. Prime Minister's wife a victim of the virus. It's as dangerous as anywhere. More than that, workers here are very often in contract positions, if they choose to self-isolate or are subject to mandatory isolation, they don't get paid and are likely to lose their jobs. This is not a good place to be in an epidemic.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 13th 2020 at 12:41 am.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you think that? Country of immigrants, many frequent travellers to Italy, China, Korea, Iran,, open border to a country with an administration derelict in its duties to healthcare. Prime Minister's wife a victim of the virus. It's as dangerous as anywhere. More than that, workers here are very often in contract positions, if they choose to self-isolate or are subject to mandatory isolation, they don't get paid and are likely to lose their jobs. This is not a good place to be in an epidemic.
Self employed, contracting or in the gig economy would be the ones hurt the most.

Honestly the scare about the virus scares me more, than the virus itself.

People and businesses will go bankrupt just because of the scare and the hype built around it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.