British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Coronavirus - Our imminent move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/coronavirus-our-imminent-move-931561/)

Winterdiva Mar 6th 2020 12:59 pm

Coronavirus - Our imminent move

Hello everyone,

Coronavirus numbers have been steadily going up here in the UK. People have started stockpiling and govt has given up on containment. Things are really bad in Italy and have a feeling it'll be the same in the UK in a couple of weeks. I've been following news in Canada and its all starting there too.

Meanwhile, we've been packing our stuff, booked shipping and all on track to move later this month. My husband has been lucky with an interview and a contract is likely to be offered in Toronto. I feel the virus will turn worse in Canada by the time we arrive at the end of this month. With no ONIP, £300k private insurance cover, no support network, 2 kids and a contract job in Toronto - it all seems too risky a move at this point. We are beginning to think we should just stay in the UK and wait for this virus thing to calm down a bit. I feel terrible thinking about turning down a job offer there!

I'm keen to hear your thoughts and advice. What would you do?

tooboocoo Mar 6th 2020 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - Our imminent move

Job offers in Canada, before being physically present there, are rare. You've presumably spent a great deal of effort to get to this point so don't waste the opportunity. This CV crisis will eventually pass, whether you're in Toronto or the UK.

christmasoompa Mar 6th 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Winterdiva (Post 12816939)
Hello everyone,

Coronavirus numbers have been steadily going up here in the UK. People have started stockpiling and govt has given up on containment. Things are really bad in Italy and have a feeling it'll be the same in the UK in a couple of weeks. I've been following news in Canada and its all starting there too.

Meanwhile, we've been packing our stuff, booked shipping and all on track to move later this month. My husband has been lucky with an interview and a contract is likely to be offered in Toronto. I feel the virus will turn worse in Canada by the time we arrive at the end of this month. With no ONIP, £300k private insurance cover, no support network, 2 kids and a contract job in Toronto - it all seems too risky a move at this point. We are beginning to think we should just stay in the UK and wait for this virus thing to calm down a bit. I feel terrible thinking about turning down a job offer there!

I'm keen to hear your thoughts and advice. What would you do?

Wouldn't even have occurred to me to stay in the UK in your situation! People are just hugely overreacting. We're going on holiday to Asia in a month and hasn't crossed my mind to cancel that, never mind a move abroad that you've planned for. Unless you've got underlying health issues, then I can't see why you'd think it an issue tbh.

Or, give your previous threads, are you just grabbing this as a potential reason not to go after all?

Oakvillian Mar 6th 2020 2:27 pm

You're no more likely to fall ill in Toronto than in the UK. Practice sensible hygiene protocols, but otherwise carry on with life as usual. As others have said, there's no way I'd jeopardize all that planning and expense - not to mention the extremely rare instance, outside of intra-company transfers, of arranging employment in Canada before you arrive here. This is a gift horse, don't look in it's mouth!

Winterdiva Mar 6th 2020 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12816978)

Or, give your previous threads, are you just grabbing this as a potential reason not to go after all?

No ! Not at all! This has nothing to do with my older threads

Bucks_Family Mar 6th 2020 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12816978)
People are just hugely overreacting.

^^^ This.
I wouldn't be worrying about it unless I was in a high risk group - are you or any of your immediate family in such a group (elderly, very young, pre-existing respiratory health concerns?). If so, then OK you might have some concerns but don't take steps backwards at this point when you are so close. If you're not in a high risk group, just carry on!!

HGerchikov Mar 6th 2020 3:49 pm

There is always a chance that you are going to get sick in the first few months before the OHIP kicks in. Regular flu is always an option along with a multitude of other things - why worry about this one specific one? If one of you has been offered a job here, prior to your arrival then it would be silly (in my view) to turn it down, unless you, as has been suggested, want to use this as an excuse not to come. You are no more likely to contract the virus here than you are in the UK (at this point less likely as there are fewer cases here, although that could easily change). The only possible cause for concern would be if health insurance excludes that specific virus.

Shard Mar 6th 2020 3:53 pm

You never know, if you go and remain healthy during an outbreak, you may stumble upon opportunities that otherwise wouldn't be available to you. It appears that young healthy people are generally adversely affected by CV19 so the main downside seems to be a potential bout of the flu. It shouldn't really put you off a major move, especially if a job opportunity has been secured.

Tumbling_Dice Mar 6th 2020 5:57 pm

Maybe need to stop reading / listening to the news. I watch Rai TG2 news each day and they are working things calmly and methodically in Italy. As for here, I am off to Toronto in a month for a training conference... no worries at all.

Don't use this hysteria as a reason to mess up your plans.

CanadaJimmy Mar 6th 2020 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Winterdiva (Post 12816939)
People have started stockpiling and govt has given up on containment.

Where did you hear that last part?
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...break-11950691

I'm flying to the UK myself in a few months to visit family and not worried about the Corona virus. The flight might be quieter though which will be a nice benefit!

christmasoompa Mar 6th 2020 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12817087)
I'm flying to the UK myself in a few months to visit family and not worried about the Corona virus. The flight might be quieter though which will be a nice benefit!

I've thought the same thing about our trip. Secretly hoping lots cancel so we might get upgraded. :lol:

Danny B Mar 6th 2020 6:31 pm

Bring bog roll. You can't buy it in Canada anymore.

Shard Mar 6th 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12817094)

I didn't even know the DM was sold there ?!

Winterdiva Mar 6th 2020 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12817094)

Hahaha 😂 sure! I can get some for you too !

Benson55 Mar 7th 2020 2:05 am

Look at the types of people getting the virus and the ones dying and see if you are in the latter category if not its just like flu and ok.
Stockpiling is herd mentality, one fools starts and other follow.
You are worrying over nothing.