Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cordless drill

Cordless drill

Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice
Default Cordless drill

Im a tradesman moving to N.S on saturday. Im shipping my tools over in my container. I have quite a good quality cordless drill and am wondering if the battery will charge ok there. What with power differences. Cheers guys
Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cordless drill

Originally Posted by Scotty boy
Im a tradesman moving to N.S on saturday. Im shipping my tools over in my container. I have quite a good quality cordless drill and am wondering if the battery will charge ok there. What with power differences. Cheers guys
Is the charging unit multi voltage i.e 110-240v 50/60htz?

If not do you plan on using this drill on a work site?

If yes is it practical to carry a transformer around with you in order to charge it while on the job?

Not sure if this will help or not. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 20th 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

ontheway is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Cordless drills charge at a very low voltage, you should be able to pick up a 110V power adapter from ebay USA or Canada for most popular makes of power tool. I have done the reverse on many occasions.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

cheers guys
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:43 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

cheers guys
Couldn't get a charger for my 12V Ryobi. Everything's 18V now. Are you at a convenient upgrade point?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Anantsiaq is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband brought his tools over. He bought a heavy-duty transformer and a short extension cord. He changed the plug on the cord for a Canadian one, and was able to charge and use his tools. Houses often have 220v for heating. I brought over a Teasmade from the UK, and had a friend remove a small baseboard heater and install an outlet. I plugged it in and set it for 7am. It presented me with a pot of tea at about 3:30 am, due to the fact that the damned CYCLES are different! it makes the clock whizz forward. Teasmade doesn't accommodate ex-pats and no-one else makes a similar gadgets

The only problem with my husband's method is the weight of the transformer. If you have to cart it about, you need a car.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Its in good nick and its an 14volt bosch so hopefully i can get one. Seen them on ebay.ca so thankfully i can get one
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Unless electricals have a CSA/UL approval stamp, it is unlikely they can be used on a commercial job site. It would be worth talking to the appropriate Workers Compensation Board who govern safety and standards.

When used in a house, non approved electricals may invalidate insurance.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anantsiaq
I brought over a Teasmade from the UK, and had a friend remove a small baseboard heater and install an outlet.
There are electrical codes and standards you should be conforming with. What size breaker is the outlet on? Ours are on 15amp, and baseboard heaters are on 20amp. You may also want to check with your insurer if the are ok with modification such as this.

In Canada, only qualified electricians as supposed to do electrical work, homeowners are not supposed to do their own, although many probably do.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 20th 2009 at 7:10 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator

In Canada, only qualified electricians as supposed to do electrical work, homeowners are not supposed to do their own, although many probably do.
This not necessarily true at least in Alberta.

As long as you the home-owner get a permit and have the work inspected you are certainly allowed to electrical work in your own home.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:03 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator

Given whats acceptable here and considered code, the average brit with only half an inkling about DIY will often do better than a full paid up sparky here

Buy your regions Electrical code book, use common sense

I'm currently removing stuff that was put in / left/ ignored by an approved electrician who was proud to admit he re-wired the house!!! in the UK he'd be kicked off the Job site and black listed by every contractor that heard about him

Many things that are considered code here, would fail in most if not all of Europe
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
This not necessarily true at least in Alberta.

As long as you the home-owner get a permit and have the work inspected you are certainly allowed to electrical work in your own home.
Same in BC actually, so long as the home owner gets the permit and has it inspected they are OK I believe.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Given whats acceptable here and considered code, the average brit with only half an inkling about DIY will often do better than a full paid up sparky here

Buy your regions Electrical code book, use common sense

I'm currently removing stuff that was put in / left/ ignored by an approved electrician who was proud to admit he re-wired the house!!! in the UK he'd be kicked off the Job site and black listed by every contractor that heard about him

Many things that are considered code here, would fail in most if not all of Europe
Have to agree with this one.

I'm an Electrician here in the Uk, soon to be Calgary - like this Sunday I was shocked at some of the things I saw, that was considered code in Canada.

Y
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Scotti,

I've brought all my cordless Hilti stuff over from Uk to Calgary. Get yourself a "Step-up" tranformer that does the following:

110/120V 50-60hz input which then gives you an output of:

220/240V 50Hz output - The unit even has a UK three pin plug outlet.

I've bought one, and I'll charge the batteries up at night and take them with me to work in the morning.

I've also taken a UK trailing socket with four outlets, so I can charge allsorts at the same time.

The "Step-ups" are far cheaper than buying new drills etc...

They range in load of 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1200, watts etc etc right up to 5Kw - which would be ridiculous to be honest.

I think I paid about $68.00 for a 1000watts or so - just the job

Cheers

Y

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Sep 21st 2009 at 5:16 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks yogi im owed you a picnic basket. . Wher would i buy one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.