Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coquitlam B.C. - Bear killed after break in

Coquitlam B.C. - Bear killed after break in

Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coquitlam B.C. - Bear killed after break in

Given how paranoid some on this forum are about the possibility of encountering bears in Canada, I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.

COQUITLAM - For the third time this week, a problem black bear has been fatally shot in a Coquitlam residential area.
RCMP and B.C. conservation officers shot and killed a 181-kilogram -- 400-pound -- bear Thursday in the back yard of a home on the 2200-block of Turnberry Lane, located next to the Westwood Plateau golf course.
Balance of article here: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-ad8906bd50a0
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:27 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coquitlam B.C. - Bear killed after break in

Poor bear. I heard this week that they have killed two black bears near Lake Louise in the wake of that attack on the Belgian jogger.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Steve_P;6666771]Given how paranoid some on this forum are about the possibility of encountering bears in Canada, I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.

Not sure what the paranoid bit is but it's the 3rd encounter in the area this week. It appears the bears have moved closer to suburbia due to the cold spring in the LM. Watch out if you go jogging or out on the bike.....!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the 'paranoia' comment may be in part directed to me!!!!!

I am currently reading a book I bought in Kananaskis this afternoon called Bear attacks - their causes and avoidance. It definately puts it all in perspective, eg more deaths from lightening etc, but I still think its wise to be a little paranoid. That said we are cautious but still manage to do stuff we want, just take sensible precautions! I think anyone who goes out in the Rockies and doesn't know some bear basics and take some bear precautions is a little silly. That's not to say the precautions will guarentee safety but they do better the odds.

Gryph
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:35 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=getoutofbritainquick;6667225]
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Given how paranoid some on this forum are about the possibility of encountering bears in Canada, I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.

Not sure what the paranoid bit is but it's the 3rd encounter in the area this week. It appears the bears have moved closer to suburbia due to the cold spring in the LM. Watch out if you go jogging or out on the bike.....!
No, the bears have not moved closer. It's suburbia that's gone closer to the bears, in fact moving into their feeding territory, which is why they are foraging for food. It was a long wet spring, and not as many berries as usual, coupled with the fact that so many trees and shrubs have been mowed down to build houses. Normally they do not bother humans, unless their cubs are nearby. I had one cross my path on my walk last week, I ignored it and he ignored me.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:05 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
I feel the 'paranoia' comment may be in part directed to me!!!!!
Not at all directed at anyone in particular.

There are many who appear to be extremely afraid of the possibility of a bear encounter when they come to Canada.

I just think that for the most part that fear is unjustified.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:16 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

And as has been said before....... if you're really worried about seeing a bear, take me with you! (I could patent myself as an anti-bear tactic ...... )
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Why did they have to kill it?

Haven't they heard of tranquiliser darts?

I've heard that BC have introduced that "eco-friendly" tax.... not very eco friendly to go popping off the wild-life because it's trying to eat.....:curse:
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

jeannine will become famous soon enoughjeannine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by geedee
Why did they have to kill it?

Haven't they heard of tranquiliser darts?

I've heard that BC have introduced that "eco-friendly" tax.... not very eco friendly to go popping off the wild-life because it's trying to eat.....:curse:
New to the forum.

I encountered a bear close to Coquitlam, actually on the road to Belcarra some years ago.

Late at night, it was rummaging in garbage skip on the highway.

I did a very quick 3 point turn and took off!!

XX Jeannine
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet it was Goldilocks what done it, the lure of porridge was too much.

I have seen one bear and consider myself extremely lucky to have seen one. A friend who has 60 acres of mostly woodland and scrub has in the past 30 years only seen signs of bears on her property. Last month she saw one up the tree by her kitchen window. She went out and shouted, some other people who were in the barn also shouted and waved arms etc. The bear ran away scared and probably wont be back.

BTW a dead puma was probably seen near here. Someone saw it by the side of the road and when they went back to collect it, someone else had taken it. The Puma Society?? had a letter printed in the paper asking whoever took it to give them sample of fur so they could check its DNA and confirm the sighting.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I saw no bears last year except up grouse mountain behind the fences..
But this year we have had bears in our garden a few times, we live near the second narrows bridge NV, the kids have had lock downs due to bears at school, I was picking my boy up from football training and about six feet away two bears climbed into the dumpsters, got a couple of good photos eh!
In todays north shore news front page a woman found a bear in a tree in her garden, luckily they tranquilised and moved it.
Seems there are more about for some reason.
cheers
Jerry
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

A bear in Subway

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/.../28619099.html
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:12 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Wonder if he had sub of the day?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

I was walking my puppy yesterday lunchtime in Whistler and just happened to look in the long grass to watch a big black bear lying there watching us walk by!

That's the closest I've ever got and I nearly pooped my pants!!! Puppy didn't even notice though!

Zoe M. xx
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Hi
Maybe it's me being an 'immigrunt' but i still don't see why they have to kill them.
Surely there is enough vacant space up north for a relocated bear or two.. (a good military training exercise)
Or do the 'guards at Buck house' need a new hat.
cheers
Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.