Reload this Page >

Coquitlam anyone??

Coquitlam anyone??

Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coquitlam anyone??

Hi,
We are awaiting our medicals and are heading out to BC this summer on a final reccie to decide where(hopefully!) we plan to settle next year.
Have been out on previous trips and looked around but this time, have narrowed our search down. The main place we are thinking of is Coquitlam. We haven't been there before but I was wondering if anyone on here knows or has moved there and can offer any advice? We have 2 teenagers and it looks as though there is quite alot to do for them there.
I read on another thread a few days ago about someone considering Maple ridge and how overcrowded the schools are. Is that a general problem in these areas?

Any comments gratefully received.
Jules
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coquitlam anyone??

Originally Posted by JulesinUK

Coquitlam anyone?
No thanks, I'm married

Last edited by steve666; Apr 16th 2007 at 9:52 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, julesinuk.
cant say very much about coquitlam as i havent been there, but i did do a reccie trip last year and while there talked to a bucketful of realtors to get an idea of prices, trends etc.
coquitlam turned out to be quite expensive. whilst condo type apartments were available for around the $200k mark for 1 bedroom jobs, 3 bedroom houses seemed to be not much lower than $350 to $400k, which is a trifle dear for me!
but from what i was told, the area is nice but can get rowdy in places due to huge numbers of young merrymakers driving to the area and holding late night parties on the beaches of the fraser river.
jobwise, there seemed to be very little available when i did a search via the internet whe i was there.
do have a proper look around than i did though, and i am sure you will have better news than me!

Hi,
We are awaiting our medicals and are heading out to BC this summer on a final reccie to decide where(hopefully!) we plan to settle next year.
Have been out on previous trips and looked around but this time, have narrowed our search down. The main place we are thinking of is Coquitlam. We haven't been there before but I was wondering if anyone on here knows or has moved there and can offer any advice? We have 2 teenagers and it looks as though there is quite alot to do for them there.
I read on another thread a few days ago about someone considering Maple ridge and how overcrowded the schools are. Is that a general problem in these areas?

Jules
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Coquitlam is a great choice if you work in Vancouver and need to commute but can't afford Vancouver prices (not sure who can afford those prices really!) and it was in our top 5 choices.

Check out property at www.mls.ca

A couple of things to note are that they are actually closing schools in Coquitlam due to low enrollment (not exactly forward planning) and although you are on teh "good" side of the bridge in some places there is only one road down to the freeway so the commute can still be slow (although West Coast express is a good option!)

HTH!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Jules
If you join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brits2vancouver/

you will see that there are lots of us who live or have lived in Coquitlam. It's a big area and there are fab parts and not so fab parts! I've lived up in Westwood Plateau, the north end of Coquitlam and really loved it.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger

you will see that there are lots of us who live or have lived in Coquitlam. It's a big area and there are fab parts and not so fab parts! I've lived up in Westwood Plateau, the north end of Coquitlam and really loved it.
We looked around Co. and P.Q. way back and found it to be mostly harmless, seemed plenty of facilities and services there. I'd choose your locale very carefully though, locals will advise in more specific terms or do drive-by yourself.

Rich.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Hi,

Jules
Very good logistical choice, easy access to practically everywhere (By Vancouver Standards) in Lower Mainland
Pretty inoffensive place
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

JulesinUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fishfinger

Hi and thanks for everyones replies!
I'll certainly try the brits to vancouver forum and continue my research.