Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coping with mother's tantrums

Coping with mother's tantrums

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with mother's tantrums

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar

we were lucky - my mum and dad very supportive. although, like live to ski we were a bit creative with details - company wanted OH to transfer, had to apply for PR so i could work!
It's amazing what the corporate world will put you through these days

my 87 year old granpa now has a facebook page and has just discovered his 19year old grandaughters (not me) hobbies are drinking and sex!!
Hilarious. We send my parents the links to see our photos on Facebook but we are still safe with what we put up as they can't cope with having their own accounts - phew

my granny (99) very happy as she has a railway pension so can come over to visit on the train. (suffers from dementia, she originally thought I was running away with Santa when we told her - still can't work out if that was a link with snow or if canada sounded like santa).
Bless confused grannies everywhere
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't talked to my mother for 2 weeks and I can't see things changing for a while now.

Read my thread in moving back titled would you be upset?

A long, long list of reasons.

What mother wouldn't want you to go and visit and all they had to do was see you?

What mother would be upset with you because you are feeling ok one day and not upset about living here?

What mother wouldn't intend on sending anything for her grandson for Christmas but quickly does a week before when I initiate contact after trouble?

I could go on and on but I would be here all night. but I feel a lot better without her in my life dragging me down to her level.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesidds
HELP!!! My mum has just sobbed down the phone begging me not to take her boys away!
When we first told her about our plans to emigrate she was suprisingly calm, I think she thought that it was all talk. But now we have sold our house and have a recce trip booked for May . . . .she's panicking.
I feel so cruel, she absolutely adores our two sons and currently see's them 2 or 3 times a week, being just 5 minutes down the road. My Dad has been very quiet with me for the past few weeks, but he is not a man of many words, Mum on the other hand will stamp her feet and scream if she doesn't get her own way!
I have tried to rationalise this in my own head - they are very computer literate so communication will not be a problem, they are both fit, in their early 60's and reasonably well off, so a couple of visits a year wouldn't be a problem. . . . . . . . . . . but I can't help but feel like a total bitch.

To make matters worse, we haven't even told my mother in law yet!

Any advice guys - I'm sure this is a common situation - how did you all cope with it?

Hi there

In a brief how did I cope statement - "it devastated me and stopped me and mom talking for a while"

My advice - try to understand how she feels and get on with what you are doing when the time comes near to come on that one way trip then she will have come around a bit and then once you have been here for a month or two you will hear the softening come back in her voice.

Take it from me it is hard to cope with when you are going through it but it does get better.

good luck

Gaynor
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:18 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesidds
HELP!!! My mum has just sobbed down the phone begging me not to take her boys away!
Tell her to grow up and stop being so damned bloody possessive. They're your children, not her babies.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:26 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
"all I ask is that you will come home to bury me!" I have to admit to an urge to throttle her!
Tell her you'll be home next week to make the arrangements
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:46 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski

Hilarious. We send my parents the links to see our photos on Facebook but we are still safe with what we put up as they can't cope with having their own accounts - phew
My mum is the same - she is less computer literate than my granpa!

My cousin got off lightly as it was my granpa who saw it - he has always been pretty forward thinking. Although I did confuse him this year at christmas - via oxfam unwrapped bought a pile of condoms for africa - he thought he was getting the condoms! He's 87!!! Me and oh about peed ourselves laughing trying to explain it too him.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
My mum is the same - she is less computer literate than my granpa!

My cousin got off lightly as it was my granpa who saw it - he has always been pretty forward thinking. Although I did confuse him this year at christmas - via oxfam unwrapped bought a pile of condoms for africa - he thought he was getting the condoms! He's 87!!! Me and oh about peed ourselves laughing trying to explain it too him.
He probably thought it was a compliment being bought condoms at 87!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:04 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

thesidds - have you any siblings who can pitch it for you? My sisters were a huge help in this respect.

also, whenyou are getting these emotional blackmail phonecalls can you break any patterns here (not being available to hear anymore of this, phoning her at a time when you have only a few minutes to speak...)

Chin up, for most of us it is more than worth the stress to get here.

Clare
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

course being evil but you could always ask her why she doesn't want the best for 'her' (and that is incorrectly proprietary' boys, and they'll be so much better off there, etc.

its not nice, but you can do the guilt trip thing back.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gloveman
Your mum is losing her babies so bear with her but you are a grown woman yourself with a family so you have to do what you feel is right.
On the other hand, you've sold the house but not told your mother in law you're moving - that sounds a bit mean! Surely she deserves to be told as she is 'losing' her family too.
You're right i know, but my husband really needs to brake the news and he's incredibly emotional - it won't be pretty. She knows we're unsettled and that we've sold the house and renting untill we decide where we want to live. She knows we're going to Canada on holiday as we''l be visiting her cousin in Red Deer. Infact she's properbly worked it out for herself!!! What are we worrying about!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ClareBC
thesidds - have you any siblings who can pitch it for you? My sisters were a huge help in this respect.

also, whenyou are getting these emotional blackmail phonecalls can you break any patterns here (not being available to hear anymore of this, phoning her at a time when you have only a few minutes to speak...)

Chin up, for most of us it is more than worth the stress to get here.

Clare
Yes I have a sister, who is currently going through a messy divorce - who today said "It's up to you sis, if you prefer mountains to your family, well!!!"

Although she was joking I firmly believe that many a true word is said in jest!
Her 2 daughters are older so she doesn't really see the "better life for the kids" thing.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to you all!
It helps to know your not alone, cliche but true.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Reading about all the people who have parents screaming blue murder when you announce your plans to move I'm starting to question what is going on with my family and friends. They're all cheering me on, encouraging me to go for it and making plans to visit. Not that I think they ever will. I spent 4+ years in UK and not once did they visit.

One of my best friends is already talking about trying to get a company transfer should the company he works for open up in Toronto. He's also in the process of buying a house here in Sweden so go figure.

But looking at what many of you here are experiencing I'm starting to think my family is trying to get rid of me.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, there are a few good families out there. Now friends...most of htem lately have been teh fair weather variety...very dissapointing.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

In our case my husband's family just blame me for anything they don't like, they think I'm a snob and look down on them (OK I kind of am and kind of do!) so anything my husband does is basically because I have made him!
Never mind that his company transferred him over here (OK it's my dream in reality but he did the work!)
Because I rarely go over with him to see them and don't really speak to any of them when they phone it's easy to let them think that way because I don't have to deal with them.
If you have more of a relationship with yours then that might not work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.