Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Yes, I believe it is the CF83. I'm currently filling one out after being on the phone to them on Monday.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 11:48 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to admit that I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror without feeling a huge sense of shame if I attempted to rip off the British taxpayers to such an extent.
Fifty years ago, in a more honest age, I'd probably have agreed with you. But given the epic fraud (most of it legal) at the top and bottom of society these days, it's about time that we in the squeezed middle take advantage for once instead of being the mugs left carrying the can as usual.

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Shameless family that proves we were right to vote Brexit | Daily Mail Online
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
Yes, I believe it is the CF83. I'm currently filling one out after being on the phone to them on Monday.
Thank you, I'm leaving the UK address blank.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:41 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elgin1983
Fifty years ago, in a more honest age, I'd probably have agreed with you. But given the epic fraud (most of it legal) at the top and bottom of society these days, it's about time that we in the squeezed middle take advantage for once instead of being the mugs left carrying the can as usual.

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Shameless family that proves we were right to vote Brexit� | Daily Mail Online
When I first read your post I thought you were talking about the legal fraud that the govt. commits to squeeze us but when I clicked on the DM link I realized that you were talking about something completely different
Old Mar 11th 2017, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Vancouver_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

For making Class 2 contributions after having moved abroad, I’m a bit confused.

If I was registered unemployed immediately before moving abroad, does this mean I cannot claim Class 2. I honestly can’t remember as it was about 20 years ago. Also, from what I've read, the word "immediately" seems really open to interpretation.

I checked and I’ll be eligible for ten years of contributions from 2006/07, but am not sure of which class. Is Class 2 only payable only for the time I’ve worked in Canada? How about gaps in employment?
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vancouver_22
For making Class 2 contributions after having moved abroad, I’m a bit confused.

If I was registered unemployed immediately before moving abroad, does this mean I cannot claim Class 2. ...
It's best to apply and see what they say.

According to everything I read I would not have been eligible for the class 2 rate. I found nothing in the guidance (it is only a guide) to allow it but upon application (giving employment details and them checking) they confirmed I was eligible.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's best to apply and see what they say.

According to everything I read I would not have been eligible for the class 2 rate. I found nothing in the guidance (it is only a guide) to allow it but upon application (giving employment details and them checking) they confirmed I was eligible.
What was it that made you think you wouldn't be eligible for Class 2?

I'm definitely going to apply, but the information is from almost 20 years ago and I can't fully remember all the details. I don't want to include an unintentional mistake that messes everything up.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vancouver_22
What was it that made you think you wouldn't be eligible for Class 2?

I have never been self employed. I live abroad but I don't live and work abroad. I don't work and I am not self employed abroad.
So I come under the Living abroad and not working category and that says class 3.
But I gave them all the information and back came eligibility for class 2 even quoting class 2 rates for the relevant years so it's not someone typing a 2 instead of a 3. There must be something else that allows it that isn't in the guidance. Having paid in for over 30 years maybe? Prior to the latest change, 30 years was enough for a full pension and now it's not, so maybe those that had 30 years are able to make up a shortfall at the class 2 rate? Or favourible treatment for former DWP workers? As if...

I'm definitely going to apply, but the information is from almost 20 years ago and I can't fully remember all the details. I don't want to include an unintentional mistake that messes everything up.
I wouldn't worry. They'll have your NI records showing employment/self-employment/unemployment etc
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info—it’s good to know.

I guess they have a certain criteria they work with. it’s reassuring that they don’t seem to be overly strict. I didn’t think being self employed abroad was required. I’ll apply and see what they say. There’s plenty of time because the deadline isn’t until April, 2019.

It will be good to be eligible for those contributions because it’s an amazing deal. I suppose that’s one reason they’re being abolished.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's best to apply and see what they say. ....
This is good advice.
..... According to everything I read I would not have been eligible for the class 2 rate. I found nothing in the guidance (it is only a guide) to allow it but upon application (giving employment details and them checking) they confirmed I was eligible.
I don't know what verification they can do, especially so long after you left the UK, but it's true there is some inherent uncertainty in what "immediate" means.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

As BristolUK wrote: "Prior to the latest change, 30 years was enough for a full pension and now it's not, so maybe those that had 30 years are able to make up a shortfall at the class 2 rate? Or favourible treatment for former DWP workers? As if.."

I'm confused on the 30/35 year issue as well. I have 22 paid up years and will be 62 this year. I called them last Monday and they told me I only have to pay up 8 years, although I was very confused if this meant I would get the full pension, but they did say it would be made up to approx 154 GBP.

Then they said I should check if I can pay Class 2 or Class 3. I already had a reply from 2 years ago accepted for Class 3 payments but with all the forecast changes I didn't pay up. So I've sent the form off this week to see if I can pay Class 2 (even though somewhere in the rules it said you can't switch to Class 2 after being accepted for Class 3). The thing is I wasn't really working for my last 2 years in the UK. I worked cash in hand for a friend on a market stall, a couple of months part-time in a pub and about 4 weeks for an inventory company but the details I would never remember.

2 years after being in Canada I officially started an at-home business (now going for 11 years) and the only proof I can offer there is that I'm HST registered and the fact my tax returns include self-employed income.

Apparently I have until 2023 to actually pay up, if I understand that correctly.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 12:34 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Edo, sorry I haven't checked the board for a while. Yes I paid in a lump sum, but if you haven't already it's a good idea to phone them and check the details: when I phoned them they gave me a different account to send the money to, and told me to use my NI number and surname as the reference, not the 18 digit number they gave.

Then I called them a couple of weeks later to check that it had been accepted and the years credited, and they confirmed that they had
So I paid a balance of around £450 to cover for 3 years of NI shortfall and today I received a refund cheque of £77.30; I am absolutely confused as to what the refund is for Could be for something else which I don't know. Can someone guess what this refund might be for? I do not want them to return my Class 2 NI and cause me problems with payments at retirement. Getting on the scheme was already a lot of hassle to start with.

The accompanying letter is issued by NI Contributions & Employer Office if it helps.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:02 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
So I paid a balance of around £450 to cover for 3 years of NI shortfall and today I received a refund cheque of £77.30; I am absolutely confused as to what the refund is for Could be for something else which I don't know. Can someone guess what this refund might be for? I do not want them to return my Class 2 NI and cause me problems with payments at retirement. Getting on the scheme was already a lot of hassle to start with.

The accompanying letter is issued by NI Contributions & Employer Office if it helps.
Well Class 2 is about GBP 2.50 per week, about 125 quid a year, so for three years that would be around 375 quid. So if you paid 450 for 3 years then it would appear you overpaid and they've refunded you the difference. But best to give them a ring and check.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well Class 2 is about GBP 2.50 per week, about 125 quid a year, so for three years that would be around 375 quid. So if you paid 450 for 3 years then it would appear you overpaid and they've refunded you the difference. But best to give them a ring and check.
Your "abouts" are off by enough to make your explanation for the refund doubtful - a full year of Class 2 contributions works out at some non-round amount between £143 and £145, so three years of contributions is going to be a couple of pounds more than £430. .... I believe the refund would have to be for a part-year .... or for some other reason. I agree that seeking an explanation from the DWP is the only logical way to go.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I have received a pension forecast. I called them. They told me to call HMRC. I can apparently buy up to another 5 from tax years 2016-2017 going forward.

I called HMRC. I have to fill in NI38.

Am I right in thinking from this thread that I leave the UK address section blank?

Do you fill in the direct debit?

I was employed before I left the UK but now I have short term contracts for services. Still not clear if that makes me Class 2 or Class 3. ??

Just fill in the form and send it back? I suppose I'll hear if it's filled out incorrectly!

Thank you!
Snowy

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 25th 2017 at 3:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.