Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Contracting vs Permanent roles in Vancouver

Wikiposts

Contracting vs Permanent roles in Vancouver

Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contracting vs Permanent roles in Vancouver

Originally Posted by jobop
Thanks for all the info, so have you found it easy / difficult to get the work flowing in as a freelancer, what were you methods, recruitment agencies or targeting companies?

I know what you mean about working in a corporation
When you add it all up would you say you get a good monthly wage. And are you getting a good work /life balance?
I get about 90% of the work from the company I worked for in the UK, but I'd like to change that to about 60-40 as I'm really keen to use this time as a freelancer to broaden my horizons.
It hasn't been difficult for me as I already had work lined up before I left my permanent job. I've actually been turning down work. The work from other companies is through networking - I know lots of people in my industry. Some people contacted me themselves from other companies as soon as word got round that I left my permanent job.
I work around 35 hours a week, which was my 'official' working week in the UK. I try to have Friday afternoons free, so do more in the week. I do sometimes work at the weekend if there's a deadline to hit, but not very often. My work-life balance is really good, whilst it was non-existant in the UK.
I struggle with discipline a bit. There's always shopping to do, laundry, ironing, cooking, etc...

My monthly wage is definitely much higher than it was in the UK. I've calculated how much I need to work in order to get a satisfactory salary, based on working 46 weeks in the year, and currently I'm managing to achieve that.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:06 am
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I get about 90% of the work from the company I worked for in the UK, but I'd like to change that to about 60-40 as I'm really keen to use this time as a freelancer to broaden my horizons.
It hasn't been difficult for me as I already had work lined up before I left my permanent job. I've actually been turning down work. The work from other companies is through networking - I know lots of people in my industry. Some people contacted me themselves from other companies as soon as word got round that I left my permanent job.
I work around 35 hours a week, which was my 'official' working week in the UK. I try to have Friday afternoons free, so do more in the week. I do sometimes work at the weekend if there's a deadline to hit, but not very often. My work-life balance is really good, whilst it was non-existant in the UK.
I struggle with discipline a bit. There's always shopping to do, laundry, ironing, cooking, etc...

My monthly wage is definitely much higher than it was in the UK. I've calculated how much I need to work in order to get a satisfactory salary, based on working 46 weeks in the year, and currently I'm managing to achieve that.
Sounds really good

So do you, or anyone, know how it works if you want to get a mortgage? We are going to rent for at least the first year and then hopefully look into buying or building our own property. I know in the UK they like you to have a certain amount of books before they would even consider giving a contractor a mortgage.

Just wondered if its worth getting a perm job first in order to get a mortgage and then switch to freelance later on once property is purchased/ built?

Last edited by jobop; Apr 12th 2013 at 5:08 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:36 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

The pros and cons of contracting vs. perm roles are roughly the same as in the UK I'd say. For contracting you can either set up a sole proprietorship or incorporate yourself. With the former you have unlimited liability and in the latter case you have limited liability. I suggest you research on those two options.

I've been looking for work since the autumn and finding it tough. Some employment agents have been less than useless and even openly lied to me while others have been very helpful. Networking is more important here. Many people end up changing their line of work.

Last edited by jandro; Apr 12th 2013 at 5:40 am.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

lisawal1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are moving in September might be worth looking for some Uk contracts that you can work on from Canada? That or companies with offices in both locations . I moved in Nov and have found work contracting for a uk company whilst being based in Canada.
I would agree re following companies on forums, blogs, Linked in etc
Good luck with the move!