Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Contract signed - Saskatchewan here we come

Contract signed - Saskatchewan here we come

Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contract signed - Saskatchewan here we come

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
A couple of things to bear in mind – OP hasn’t said he’ll be driving in winter. His wife is 16 weeks pregnant, and he’s said they’ll move after the baby is born, so I reckon that makes it summer or autumn.

Also, he has a big dog to fly over, and it might not be possible to fly it into Regina on a connecting flight from Toronto or Calgary, or it might be prohibitively expensive, which is why he is considering driving from Calgary.

I’m sure the OP will be along to clarify.
I read it that he'd be coming over himself to set up for a couple of weeks and they would follow...its not the clearest

Regardless of weather though, i still wouldn't wanna drive from Calgary to Regina with a wife and babies in tow! That said, it is a straight, flat boring road, set the cruise control and go to sleep maybe?

Are pets flying domestic usually quite expensive? I know the last couple of flights i've been on (YYC-YEG and YYC-YYZ) people have collected dogs at the baggage collection area
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

I think the issue with the dog is the size - at 40kg, then with a super large travel crate, it might not be able to go as excess baggage and might need to be moved as freight. The cost of this might mean that a drive along the trans-canada is more feasible.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

jamesmacc is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry folks should have been more clear. Im flying out first for 2 or 3 weeks to find a house and hopefully a car, then flying home to sort the shipping container and do the final big move with kids and dogs.
I Have done quite a lot of driving on the other side of the road in america so that doesn't bother me to much but yes it is a long drive after a long flight in a crappy rental car .
im trying to see if i can find a large pet friendly internal flight from Calgary to regina.

thanks everyone for your replies
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations mate,I'm sure you will do well over here!
Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

We moved from the UK to Regina in March 2013 but moved 45 mins out of the city last year, feel free to PM me if you have any questions you think I can help you with
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

velvetnsteel0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aaron.Cat.89
Congratulations on the move James.
Me and the missus are in the process of immigrating too. We also have two dogs to transport and would be interested in how you guys get on with it, it terms of what companies seem good and prices etc.

Good luck with the move!
I'll third that!!! So are me & my wife and son, and you guessed it 2 mutts

Scott
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 5:42 pm
R08
Forum Regular

R08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey Jamesmacc your situation sounds just like ours, we are moving to Saskatoon and i got a lot of help from the kind people on here. We just got several removal companies round to give us quotes. They were all about the same price apart from Pickfords who were the most expensive. We have 2 dogs to bring and are struggling to find a pet friendly house too. I have got 2 condos lined up to view when i get there. We arranged these off Kijiji by texting the people as emailing them didn't work and they got back to us straight away and are very helpful. I fly out at the end of this week and getting very nervous now as my family are following on later when I'm settled into my job.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R08
Blimey Jamesmacc your situation sounds just like ours, we are moving to Saskatoon and i got a lot of help from the kind people on here. We just got several removal companies round to give us quotes. They were all about the same price apart from Pickfords who were the most expensive. We have 2 dogs to bring and are struggling to find a pet friendly house too. I have got 2 condos lined up to view when i get there. We arranged these off Kijiji by texting the people as emailing them didn't work and they got back to us straight away and are very helpful. I fly out at the end of this week and getting very nervous now as my family are following on later when I'm settled into my job.
Bring longjohns!
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russjp
We moved from the UK to Regina in March 2013 but moved 45 mins out of the city last year, feel free to PM me if you have any questions you think I can help you with
Hey!! We started off in Sask too. Brought two dogs, Manchester-Calgary-Regina. Anyway I wanted to say when we were on our reccie trip to SK in 2007 we bought two plots of land in Rouleau for $1 each

We never did move there though we ended up in Indian Head. What do you think of Dog River lol???
Old Feb 5th 2015, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AlvicBC
Hey!! We started off in Sask too. Brought two dogs, Manchester-Calgary-Regina. Anyway I wanted to say when we were on our reccie trip to SK in 2007 we bought two plots of land in Rouleau for $1 each

We never did move there though we ended up in Indian Head. What do you think of Dog River lol???
We love it here, hoping to buy our first property here next month too and i`m lucky enough to work right across the road on a farm owned by friends
Old Feb 5th 2015, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russjp
We love it here, hoping to buy our first property here next month too and i`m lucky enough to work right across the road on a farm owned by friends
Aww good for you. We have since moved on to BC, so sick of the cold winters lol. But I do miss SK, especially the friendly people.