Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

continuing orthodontic treatment in Canada

continuing orthodontic treatment in Canada

Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default continuing orthodontic treatment in Canada

Hi
My son has just started having orthodontic treatment here in the UK and is due to have a brace fitted shortly. We haven't mentioned our emigration plans as we wanted to get him started here.
Has anyone else emigrated midway through orthodontic treatment? Are orthodontists in Canada happy to continue treatment that has been started in the UK? I know it's expensive over there, hence the reason why we wanted to start it here first.
Any advice greatly appreciated. We are hopefully emigrating within the next 6 months.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:50 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: continuing orthodontic treatment in Canada

spooky -was just about to post similar!!

so no answer for you but will see what others tell you!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

No-one will follow someone else's treatment plan, don't bother about bringing that, they'll make their own. In general treatment is more aggressive here for "better" cosmetic results, they do things that would be considered unnecessary and cruel in the UK I have no idea about cost but from other posts, it seems to be ruinous and not a great deal of it is covered under employee plans.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thansk Biiiiink - but what if they already have the "Train tracks" fitted??
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Thansk Biiiiink - but what if they already have the "Train tracks" fitted??
They'll start with what they've got. I just meant not to waste time/money on getting a treatment plan drawn up in the UK to bring here because no-one works to someone else's plan, it's all so subjective.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I have no idea about cost but from other posts, it seems to be ruinous and not a great deal of it is covered under employee plans.
I spent about $40,000 on two children over five years or so. I reckon that was about $850 per tooth millimeter. One thing we did that was advantageous was to get the year's treatment billed in advance in late December; the tax break on medical bills only kicks in after some percentage of taxable income so it's better to have huge bills in one year and none in the next rather than evenly distributed ones. (Assuming you've the credit rating to finance the cost).
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No-one will follow someone else's treatment plan, don't bother about bringing that, they'll make their own. In general treatment is more aggressive here for "better" cosmetic results, they do things that would be considered unnecessary and cruel in the UK I have no idea about cost but from other posts, it seems to be ruinous and not a great deal of it is covered under employee plans.
That's right. Our dental plan, a federal government one and thus likely pretty good, has a lifetime limit of $2500 for orthodontic work.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:09 pm
half a century

ooh blimey - looks expensive! will get her started here then !
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I spent about $40,000 on two children over five years or so. I reckon that was about $850 per tooth millimeter. One thing we did that was advantageous was to get the year's treatment billed in advance in late December; the tax break on medical bills only kicks in after some percentage of taxable income so it's better to have huge bills in one year and none in the next rather than evenly distributed ones. (Assuming you've the credit rating to finance the cost).
eek! how do people afford that? There's no way we could find that kind of money. Ho hum. Lot's to think about!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:39 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest daughter started in the UK with train tracks in 2005 and when we arrived we went to Orthodontist in NB it was estimated at $6500 but down to $4000 because treatment already in place. We eventually managed to reclaim $2000 from company scheme.

It was funny when the orthodontist said "we will try to match the price in the UK" I said oh so it's free then response "errr, gulp, err no.... it will be $4000"

So DB your kids must have had gold teeth realigned or the Orthodontist wanted a new yacht?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
So DB your kids must have had gold teeth realigned or the Orthodontist wanted a new yacht?
No, nothing special, they do have nicely aligned teeth but arguably their mouths now look too standard, like any cheerleader. Their sister has never had any orthodontic treatment and precious little dentisty, to me her teeth don't look noticeably wrong but she wouldn't be in a toothbrush advert.

$40,000 btw is dick in terms of sailing boats, the initiation fee and first year's mooring will eat that in Toronto.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:00 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No, nothing special, they do have nicely aligned teeth but arguably their mouths now look too standard, like any cheerleader. Their sister has never had any orthodontic treatment and precious little dentisty, to me her teeth don't look noticeably wrong but she wouldn't be in a toothbrush advert.

$40,000 btw is dick in terms of sailing boats, the initiation fee and first year's mooring will eat that in Toronto.
Orthodontic work. I sometimes think it is mostly a complete waste of time unless you really have problems (overcrowded mouth, big overbite etc).

Julie and I never had any orthodontic work done, and true we wouldn't be in a toothpaste advert but for me there is less likely me being in the ad just because of plain old fashioned worn in look to my face (broken nose, scars and generally not photogenic). Saying that we look fine our teeth are relatively straight and even (no snaggle toothed looks).

Personally I think little of the dentistry industry (unless of course I have a raging toothache). Lots of money for 'old-rope'

Mental note "never buy a yacht"
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:05 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snoopster
Hi
My son has just started having orthodontic treatment here in the UK and is due to have a brace fitted shortly. We haven't mentioned our emigration plans as we wanted to get him started here.
Has anyone else emigrated midway through orthodontic treatment? Are orthodontists in Canada happy to continue treatment that has been started in the UK? I know it's expensive over there, hence the reason why we wanted to start it here first.
Any advice greatly appreciated. We are hopefully emigrating within the next 6 months.
Absolutely no problem amazing otho's over here. My three children went through not so long ago as my sister in law is a otho she did them whilst over in Toronto visiting us(Nice of us to have her work whilst on her hols!!). As a guide figure for you but we are located in Toronto so costs may vary. To take over continuous adjustments( bands etc, retainer for after with 6 months checkup) around $2500 each. Full treatment would have been around $5000 plus. Hope this helps you?(Try to take your last xrays with you)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your advice. This has reassured us that we won't have to sell our other child to pay for the care!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's cheaper to fly the kid back to the uk for the summer hols with Grand parents to continue the treatment rather than have it here.