Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

construction contract laws

construction contract laws

Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: construction contract laws

Good luck. Also if you've got a friendly lawyer, a letter from them might do the trick.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

I told my lawyer, he said think of it as just having money in the bank, the contract was so clear.
I just thought I would ask on this site as I got so much help and good advice going through the immigration process.
once again thanks Jing and AC

Mark

PS These problems could be solved a lot easier back home
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markan
I told my lawyer, he said think of it as just having money in the bank, the contract was so clear.
I just thought I would ask on this site as I got so much help and good advice going through the immigration process.
once again thanks Jing and AC

Mark

PS These problems could be solved a lot easier back home
Do you have any friends of Italian heritage or those who wear cuts and ride Harleys and think they are near to God as they have Angels in their name.
Failing that a good lawyers letter gets them thinking.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markan
OK thanks,
Think i'll inform him that is what I intend to do, unless the matter of the $9000 outstanding on the contract is resolved immediately.

Mark
Be sure you are doing things correctly. You don't put a lien on an individual, you put a lien on property.
Try this http://www.mcmillan.ca/The-Construct...nd-Obligations
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90c30_e.htm

I would not threaten a lien, just do it and then, if the balance of the contract is under the small claims limit, advise them you will take them to the provincial court for redress. This is assuming you can prove breach of contract.

This is if the lien act applies to your situation. We secured a judgement in our favour for the upper limit of small claims, but it took 3 years. We then put a lien on land owned by the debtor.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:42 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Just one thing to think about before putting a lien on a property if you are not dealing with the owner or developer. If you are working on a project that is being financed by a bank the bank will stop funding as soon as the lien is registered. They will not resume funding until they are assured that their security on the property is not impaired and this takes time and expensive lawyers. In the meantime the developer does not have access to funds so the GC does not get paid, and so the subs do not get paid. You can become really, really unpopular very quickly. If you get a reputation of being lien happy your work will dry up before you know it.

I realize this doesn't help you at all but I thought it worth mentioning.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just one thing to think about before putting a lien on a property if you are not dealing with the owner or developer. If you are working on a project that is being financed by a bank the bank will stop funding as soon as the lien is registered. They will not resume funding until they are assured that their security on the property is not impaired and this takes time and expensive lawyers. In the meantime the developer does not have access to funds so the GC does not get paid, and so the subs do not get paid. You can become really, really unpopular very quickly. If you get a reputation of being lien happy your work will dry up before you know it.

I realize this doesn't help you at all but I thought it worth mentioning.
At my last firm, I was the lien claim expert. While all that JonboyE has said is true, the opposite is also true. The one that is not paying you will suddenly find lots of others put pressure on to ensure that the lien is removed.

In Alberta, subs put liens on properties at the drop of a hat for precisely that reason. I suggest you speak to others in the industry to ascertain what is normal.

Timing is also an issue. In Alberta, one only has 45 days to register most liens.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

Ontario is also 45 days to put a lien on. The GC said putting on a lien on would not affect any of the other trades as his bonding would cover this issue.