British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Considering moving to the Canada Any Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/considering-moving-canada-any-help-370674/)

paul161 Apr 30th 2006 3:52 pm

Considering moving to the Canada Any Help

I am considering moving to the Canada to live and work. At the moment I live and work in the United Kingdom.
I would like to move where the climate and the way of life is similar to the uk. I have about 100 thousand pounds to spend on a property. I will also need to work.

Are their any type of restrictions on foreign people who try to settle in Canada?
Will I be allowed to work and buy a place to live?
How easy is it to find employment (unskilled)?
Do property prices in Canada keep inline with prices in the UK just in case I need to relocated back to the UK.

Any Help
thanks.

Alberta_Rose Apr 30th 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Considering moving to the Canada Any Help

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't already is to read through the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship site (CIC)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

There you will find all the different ways in which you might qualify to come and settle in Canada.

Rich_007 Apr 30th 2006 4:57 pm

Climate wise, Vancouver every time [mostly] or somewhere smaller/quieter in the Maritimes ?

Rich.

Rock God Apr 30th 2006 5:25 pm

Hello Paul161
There are so many things to consider when thinking about immigrating to Canada. Firstly, it costs a few quid and you could be waiting to go for up to 3 years! If you don't have a pre-approved job offer, then try and get one. Do you have family in Canada? Either of these things will help you get there quicker. If not then you may have o join the seemingly bottomless pool of skilled worker applicants. It's a long wait but well worth it!
Have you been to Canada? It's a vast country with varying lifestyles and climates. Rich007 is right when he says that Vancouver and the Maritimes are the areas most like the UK. But if you want a lifestyle THAT similar to the UK stay in the UK. Canada is Canada, the culture is somewhat similar in some ways but distinctly different in others.
You certainly get more for your money tho! £100 000 is a good sum of money to buy you a small house on some areas but in the cities it won't get you a lot. Pretty much everything in Canada is cheaper to buy than in the UK. But taxes are higher (although you see what you pay for), and wages are similar depending on what trade you are in. Some skilled professions pay more in Canada whereas unskilled trades comparably pay less.
Anyway - it's the best country in the world so go for it! We are hoping to be in Kamloops by the end of June. It's only taken us a year as we did something called the PNP program which is where an employer sponsors you and your family. You have to start at the CIC websites, both Canadian and the High Commission site that deals with applicants from the UK. They have all the information you need. You may find yourself looking at services offered by immigration lawyers. I have no experience of these but my advice, if you go for the skilled worker catagory, is to do it yourself. It's all pretty simple to do and people here on this site will help you with any questions.
Hope I'v e been of some help!
Good luck!!

Rock God

Alberta_Rose Apr 30th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Climate wise, Vancouver every time [mostly] or somewhere smaller/quieter in the Maritimes ?

Rich.

100k GBP won't get you much of a property though in Vancouver will it??
Plus it rains all winter in Vancouver .... give me Alberta blue skies, any day :D

Judy in Calgary Apr 30th 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by paul161
Do property prices in Canada keep inline with prices in the UK just in case I need to relocated back to the UK.

You have received good responses so far, but no one seems to have answered this specific question. The answer is, "No."

All the best with your project.

Rich_007 May 1st 2006 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Morwenna
100k GBP won't get you much of a property though in Vancouver will it??
Plus it rains all winter in Vancouver .... give me Alberta blue skies, any day :D

Yeah well you see, I was just answering the goddamned question which was about UK climate, not about AB or blue skies or whatever else.
Winter rain in GVA = winter rain in the UK. So the answer was given best to help the OP.

$100k will fund a decent deposit on a GVA home. Won't buy one outright.

Summer in Vancouver is very pleasant, almost UK-esque as per when the UK had decent summers way back when. And ideal for anyone who can't hack 35-40 degree summers, like most Brits of pale face and rosy complexion.

Rich.

Alberta_Rose May 1st 2006 2:01 am

Yeah well you see, I was just answering the goddamned question which was about UK climate,

Calm down, there's no need for that.

Rich_007 May 1st 2006 2:16 am

Calm down, there's no need for that.

I haven't got fire ants in my pants :D

Just give people answers when they ask for advice.

This dribbling lolling forum sucks ass for people asking for sensible advice and feedback.

Rich.

Alberta_Rose May 1st 2006 2:53 am

I haven't got fire ants in my pants :D

Just give people answers when they ask for advice.

This dribbling lolling forum sucks ass for people asking for sensible advice and feedback.

Rich.

Be careful, your superiority complex is showing.

Rich_007 May 1st 2006 4:01 am

Be careful, your superiority complex is showing.

Whatever :zzz: :zzz: I don't give a rats crap about comments like that.

Just answer peoples questions when they need help and advice.

Rich.

1066 May 1st 2006 8:12 am

I can't believe that nobody picked up on the fact that the OP is a troll on a wind-up mission ... and some of you end up ripping chunks out of each other!! ... :D

hot wasabi peas May 1st 2006 8:40 am

Originally Posted by 1066
I can't believe that nobody picked up on the fact that the OP is a troll on a wind-up mission ... and some of you end up ripping chunks out of each other!! ... :D

I think there's a lot of that going around! (aint that right kinseycao?) I look at it as watching-first-round-Stanley-Cup-play-off-hockey-fights-by-proxy. So it works for me. :)

1066 May 1st 2006 8:43 am

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I think there's a lot of that going around! (aint that right kinseycao?) I look at it as watching-first-round-Stanley-Cup-play-off-hockey-fights-by-proxy. So it works for me. :)

Yeah, it's great entertainment, but you've really got to wonder about some people, eh?! ..... :D

Alberta_Rose May 1st 2006 1:17 pm

I can't believe that nobody picked up on the fact that the OP is a troll on a wind-up mission ...

Do you really think so? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they really just needed pointing in the direction of CIC. There have been a few "totally naive" posts on this and other boards just recently .... maybe they are all trolls?..... :eek:

..... and some of you end up ripping chunks out of each other!! ... :D

Hardly a flesh wound, I'm sure we'll both survive. :p