Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering moving back to the UK!

Considering moving back to the UK!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving back to the UK!

Originally Posted by Supermum1
Slight underestimation of what we do, what an insult.

Tube train drivers aren't saving lives day in day out all year round, so no they aren't responsible for more people than a nurse is where lives are concerned, we are literally saving lives in hospitals not waiting to save them when an accident happens...
He didn't say the drivers were saving lives.....he said they were responsible for the safety of lives...
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:09 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lcar
I've been back in the UK for 4 months now, after 2 years in northern Ontario. I am loving life back in the UK. There are things from our Canadian life that I miss - like sitting on the bleachers in the sun for my son's summer soccer matches, and the wings-and-ribs lifestyle, and Tim Horton's - but there is a lot here that I missed and that I am very pleased to have back.
Our timing was influenced by our children - I came back in May so that my 16 year old daughter could take International GCSE's ready for studying A levels, which she starts tomorrow. She will be able to go to a UK university, as she wanted, as a UK student.
As we live in Wales, we will pay just one third of her university bill (the Welsh government meets the rest of the cost for all Welsh students, no matter which UK university they attend).
My son also starts his GCSE studies tomorrow, so it really was now or never for us.
Being close to family in the UK was an important consideration for us. Sadly my mum died in March, so she missed out on the last 2 years of life with my children. My mother-in-law is doing fine, and lives close to us, and we will make sure the same doesn't happen for her.
We are lucky to live in an area which is (and remains) beautiful and unspoilt. The UK doesn't feel any worse to me than I remember it (although there aren't so many English-speakers in Tesco as I remember), and I think I have grown to love its idiosyncrasies more, having been away. But I appreciate I am lucky, in my little corner of Wales.
It has to be a personal decision. Best of luck.
Great feedback, I'll bear this in mind should the decision be my son wanting to study Uni back in the UK, as someone else said too, age 16 is the best age to return if that is the case.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:10 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
He didn't say the drivers were saving lives.....he said they were responsible for the safety of lives...
That still doesn't warrant them to be better paid than nurses.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is that the same tube train driver who, in a single hour of work, is likely to be responsible for the safety of more people than a nurse would be in an entire year at work?
So by your same argument, nurses should earn more than brain surgeons.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
So by your same argument, nurses should earn more than brain surgeons.
I wasn't arguing. The person I quoted seemed to be miffed that others were capable of earning more than she was, but didn't state why she believed that to be the case.

She subsequently stated that she has a degree. So, by her logic, the "artist" with an arts degree should, automatically, be entitled to earn more than a ironworker.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

taraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nice

Jinn, I would move back in a heart beat, OH says I need to give it more time, but for me, it's the family and people I love that draw me home. I feel constant guilt for moving my children (5&9) away from family, and their friends. When they have bad days (and they still do) it breaks my heart. England isn't fantastic, but for me, it will always be home. My dream of a life in Canada may be just that, a dream!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taraanne66
Jinn, I would move back in a heart beat, OH says I need to give it more time, but for me, it's the family and people I love that draw me home. I feel constant guilt for moving my children (5&9) away from family, and their friends. When they have bad days (and they still do) it breaks my heart. England isn't fantastic, but for me, it will always be home. My dream of a life in Canada may be just that, a dream!
Haven't you only been here a short while Taraanne? Your kids will only just have started school this week? Moving is very hard, but give it a little more time...the first bit is the worst bit, you wait and see the kids will be firmly ensconced with a group of friends pretty soon
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taraanne66
You have only been here around 2 months - not nearly enough time to settle. Once the children start school and start making friends they will probably feel completely at home.. and when they are happy, you will feel happier.

You need to give it at least a year - live in the moment.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supermum1
You mean the tube drivers that go on strike regularly to try and gain more pay?

Slight underestimation of what we nurses do, what an insult.

Tube train drivers aren't saving lives day in day out all year round, and they didn't go to Uni to get a degree to drive one either. And no they aren't responsible for more people than a nurse is where lives are concerned, we are literally saving lives in hospitals not waiting to save them when an accident happens, though it's us that would be doing that too when that happens as was the case when the London tube bombing occurred of which our hospital and my colleagues were involved with as was I on nursing some in critical care. And all the doctors and nurses I worked with in London would have strongly disagreed with you on this one too.
All of them? And you save lives day in day out? Literally? Even nurses who work in Emerge can't claim that. A touch of hyperbole methinks.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You have only been here around 2 months - not nearly enough time to settle. Once the children start school and start making friends they will probably feel completely at home.. and when they are happy, you will feel happier.

You need to give it at least a year - live in the moment.

One would even argue that two years is the minimum amount of time before you'll genuinely start to feel settled. The first year is a year of firsts. Your first winter, first summer, first Christmas, etc. Your first time learning how to navigate the social nuances, the banking system, how to shop for food, etc. The second year, it becomes familiar and easier.

There's a link somewhere on BE about the various steps of culture shock. It's a worthy read.

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 4th 2013 at 11:02 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinn
Hi,

I moved to Toronto with my husband and children in Dec 2008. Came with the same dream as all, looking for a better future for my young children, better education, healthcare etc.
I have tried so hard to make this home, but I still have such a strong pull back to the UK. Firstly, all my family are based there, (this being the main reason)
I like Canada, Toronto it's a beautiful place, I have a nice house, with schools around the corner. parks etc.
regardless of all this, I still want to go back!
I don't know if moving back would be a mistake for me and my family, am I making the right choice for my kids? Will I be able to get a Job again. Is is UK really as bad as its made out to be? im sure there are good and bad areas like most countries. is the education better in the UK or Canada?
So, many questions go around in my head. Has anyone on here considered moving back? Know of anyone who has?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Jinn
Q. Are you happy in Canada ?

Q. Is it being here that puts you in that state ?

A. The place you should be.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:36 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
And as for “chavs” that term is simply a hate filled stereotypical term used to demonize underprivileged people in society and not something decent people would seriously use.
It's a useful term in my opinion. On a serious reading, it doesn't apply to the entire underclass, but to the narrow slice that make themselves obnoxious and are often aggressive. On a lighter reading, the term simply refers to less refined tastes or behaviours (but is more playful than demonizing).
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinn
but I still have such a strong pull back to the UK.
Sounds to me as though you're in the rosé-tinted glasses stage of your emigration.

If you're anything like me, go back for a visit and after a couple of weeks (or less) you will be reminded of all the reasons why you left in the first place.

First time I went back, well I hadn't been away that long. Second time, I had all these cravings for crap food and people I missed, realized when I got there that yeah the food is crap and those people got on my nerves. Third time - had to go, couldn't wait to leave.

Frankly there is no way in hell I would ever move anywhere that requires crossing an ocean again simply because it's such a huge PITA to do it. I've done it three times now and I am NEVER doing it again.

I think if you've only done it once your memory of how hard it was fades because it was so much hassle your brain blocks it out, do it several times and it is just a nightmare.

This is what always gets me about threads on here about people who've moved to point X in Canada, dislike it for some reason and say they want to try moving to point Y in Canada.

Well I'm sure there are places in Canada that have better culture or a slightly shorter winter or whatever than Calgary, but there's nowhere that is so much better that I could be bothered with all the hassle of moving there. I could move somewhere local maybe but if it takes me more than a day to drive there and back and unload stuff, then no. I'm getting too old to give a s--t.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Sounds to me as though you're in the rosé-tinted glasses stage of your emigration.

If you're anything like me, go back for a visit and after a couple of weeks (or less) you will be reminded of all the reasons why you left in the first place.

First time I went back, well I hadn't been away that long. Second time, I had all these cravings for crap food and people I missed, realized when I got there that yeah the food is crap and those people got on my nerves. Third time - had to go, couldn't wait to leave.

Frankly there is no way in hell I would ever move anywhere that requires crossing an ocean again simply because it's such a huge PITA to do it. I've done it three times now and I am NEVER doing it again.

I think if you've only done it once your memory of how hard it was fades because it was so much hassle your brain blocks it out, do it several times and it is just a nightmare.

This is what always gets me about threads on here about people who've moved to point X in Canada, dislike it for some reason and say they want to try moving to point Y in Canada.

Well I'm sure there are places in Canada that have better culture or a slightly shorter winter or whatever than Calgary, but there's nowhere that is so much better that I could be bothered with all the hassle of moving there. I could move somewhere local maybe but if it takes me more than a day to drive there and back and unload stuff, then no. I'm getting too old to give a s--t.
You ARE a Grumpy Know-It-All !
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
One would even argue that two years is the minimum amount of time before you'll genuinely start to feel settled.
Having done it several times, the first couple of years you feel like an outsider and I think it's only when you get to the point of living somewhere for more than five years you feel attached to the place. By that point you have a routine and know people and should be an expert on the local surroundings.

Like I'm always disagreeing with the GPS. GPS is s--t in Canada because it uses Crown maps rather than NAVTEQ maps, so it seems to assume that there is no difference between a four-lane road and a two-lane road and it also lacks a lot of speed limits, or assumes there's a junction or turn off where there isn't. So it sends you down rural roads full of potholes and tries to turn you down a road where there isn't a junction. Knowing the area at certain road junctions I see people peel off with a carload of kids or whatever and I think: "That idiot is following his GPS." Fortunately I didn't buy one until I'd lived here a few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.