Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering moving back to the UK!

Considering moving back to the UK!

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving back to the UK!

I could manage to never go back to the UK if I didn't still have family there. Every time I visit it seems to feel more like a run-down Eastern European police state.

Looking at the timescale, I'm assuming you don't have citizenship yet? If so, apply and get it, then consider whether you want to go back to try it out. At least then you don't have to worry about losing PR status if you stay away too long.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:07 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
And as for “chavs” that term is simply a hate filled stereotypical term used to demonize underprivileged people in society and not something decent people would seriously use.
Had a feeling the rest of your post was comedy but this bit sealed it.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I could manage to never go back to the UK if I didn't still have family there. Every time I visit it seems to feel more like a run-down Eastern European police state.

Looking at the timescale, I'm assuming you don't have citizenship yet? If so, apply and get it, then consider whether you want to go back to try it out. At least then you don't have to worry about losing PR status if you stay away too long.
Why does everyone keep harping on about going back to the UK?

I've actually visited run-down Eastern European police states (on several occasions) and the UK today is nothing like those.

If you don't like Canada (and I do for the most part, although I'm not thick enough to get too old here), then just move on. Not necessarily (or even advisedly) to the UK though.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinn
I researched on Canada vs England education, The UK comes up on top, adds more confusion. What route to take?
Don't know you get that from but, seriously, it's close enough to not even matter. If you look hard enough you can find studies that support both sides of this argument. For example, the results of a major education study published by the OECD in December 2010 had Canada ranked above the UK in maths, reading and science.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...cience-reading

Here's a study that ranks the UK above Canada:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

In terms of the UK, there are regional differences. For example, Northern Ireland has the best performance in primary maths:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20678866

The overall education systems of Canada and the UK are comparable so your kids will likely be just fine in either system. However, so much depends on where you are in Canada and where you move to in the UK - and also on individual teachers in individual schools.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What's the OP got to do with it? It was supermom1 who said she'd return to the UK eventually so that her son could attend uni there. She needs to do that when her son is about 16 to avoid paying foreign student fees. Fair enough.

But quite frankly, with domestic undergraduate fees now topping 7000 quid, does it matter that much anyway?
Yes, I know it was Supermum!. Mind you, you might want to have a look at the fees for Oxford University (and, no, lesser universities do not generally charge less: they charge what the maximum, wherever possible). You might be shocked at the fees international students are being asked the pay for some undergrad. courses
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:37 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
At least they can actually use the language with a degree of complexity. I enjoy the informed and educated discussions on numerous and varied topics in English pubs where as I find here its mostly about which truck they’re going to buy coupled with racist comments about aboriginal people. I personally don’t mind a bit of general and abstract profanity, I’d rather that than the pointed vulgar and misogynistic talk I hear in Canada. And as for “chavs” that term is simply a hate filled stereotypical term used to demonize underprivileged people in society and not something decent people would seriously use.
Never used the term 'Chavs' myself. Heard others use it though. Dirtbag climbers I guess is another term similarly used over here (in the climbing world that I've heard) putting others less fortunate down. I have heard racist comments here too admittedly, but find them far less judgemental where single parents are concerned and not so quick to label people in that way.
Can't say I've heard much foul language in the pubs over here, more the opposite, guess it depends where you go too. Prefer 'nicer' ones, not that I frequent pubs much these days with a youngster to mind apart from a monthly visit to a nice ones in Toronto daytime for a meet up brunch with other parents and children.

It's the younger generation frequenting pubs back in the UK with their loud rowdy foul mouths that my Dad dislikes, and I can relate to him not missing any of that when its only got worse, hence why he doesn't go to pubs much now and prefers to have a drink at home, he's in Norfolk near the broads.

Personally, I always liked going out to the more classier bars in London for evenings out where other professionals frequented when I lived and worked there for 4 yrs in the past, so tended not to be near any of that. But it wasn't that bad about 3 years ago in Norfolk where they live from what he said, things have just got worse I think.

Last edited by Supermum1; Sep 3rd 2013 at 4:58 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:44 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What's the OP got to do with it? It was supermom1 who said she'd return to the UK eventually so that her son could attend uni there. She needs to do that when her son is about 16 to avoid paying foreign student fees. Fair enough.

But quite frankly, with domestic undergraduate fees now topping 7000 quid, does it matter that much anyway?
Exactly. Plus an RESP means he can study anywhere in the world as long as it's a recognized one, and our Uni's are better, I'm biased.
Being dual citizen he can suit himself.
Thanks for the tip Novacastrian, age 16 is not a bad age to return to do it. It's still a long way off. I will simply go with the flow, we may both prefer to stay in Canada, or return again after he's done Uni, or stay there, who knows.

I don't dispute the fees would be costly where ever they study these days, if here, the US, or the UK, hence why I have an RESP started, hopefully the $100 a month going into it will all help with that.

Originally Posted by MarkG
I hear you on that one too, but I do miss my long term friends who are like 'family' be good if I could pick them up and move them here too. I like the more 'free' feeling I get over here, freedom rules.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
However, so much depends on where you are in Canada and where you move to in the UK - and also on individual teachers in individual schools.
That's very true too.

I know that much from my own experience where I studied in the UK, a nurse friend in London when we worked together struggled to get other jobs elsewhere, I always got offers for all I applied for and thought she did too, until she told me, "It's alright for you, you get job offers all the time, but I don't, and it's due to where you studied and having got your degree"

Opened my eyes a bit that one.

I think my degree was the only course paid for by the government too, if you study nursing as a British citizen in the UK it's paid for via a bursary, just food to pay for, but I worked weekends and studied and attended uni in the week, so that covered that. Burned out by the end of each term but it was worth it in the end (even if I did feel I wanted to quit by the end of each term).

I won't be influencing my son to go into Nursing however, he can choose to be what he wants, he's already saying he wants to be a doctor, before that, an Engineer, he's only 4. I told him any of those is good.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 3rd 2013 at 5:01 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to quote/reply to several people, you can use the 'multi-quote' button to the right of the quote button for each one, then hit the quote button on the last one you wish to quote and they will all be in one post.

I merged them for you...

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:05 am
Banned

Can't add to that post for some reason, so adding it here. There is a catch to the course I did though, we are the lowest paid profession in the UK, which stinks, especially when a tube train driver got paid more than we did in London, something wrong there I think. It's another reason some of us British trained nurses go overseas to work, where we get paid what we are worth.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you want to quote/reply to several people, you can use the 'multi-quote' button to the right of the quote button for each one, then hit the quote button on the last one you wish to quote and they will all be in one post.

I merged them for you...

Thank you, didn't know that, but now I know.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I've been back in the UK for 4 months now, after 2 years in northern Ontario. I am loving life back in the UK. There are things from our Canadian life that I miss - like sitting on the bleachers in the sun for my son's summer soccer matches, and the wings-and-ribs lifestyle, and Tim Horton's - but there is a lot here that I missed and that I am very pleased to have back.
Our timing was influenced by our children - I came back in May so that my 16 year old daughter could take International GCSE's ready for studying A levels, which she starts tomorrow. She will be able to go to a UK university, as she wanted, as a UK student.
As we live in Wales, we will pay just one third of her university bill (the Welsh government meets the rest of the cost for all Welsh students, no matter which UK university they attend).
My son also starts his GCSE studies tomorrow, so it really was now or never for us.
Being close to family in the UK was an important consideration for us. Sadly my mum died in March, so she missed out on the last 2 years of life with my children. My mother-in-law is doing fine, and lives close to us, and we will make sure the same doesn't happen for her.
We are lucky to live in an area which is (and remains) beautiful and unspoilt. The UK doesn't feel any worse to me than I remember it (although there aren't so many English-speakers in Tesco as I remember), and I think I have grown to love its idiosyncrasies more, having been away. But I appreciate I am lucky, in my little corner of Wales.
It has to be a personal decision. Best of luck.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supermum1
Can't add to that post for some reason, so adding it here. There is a catch to the course I did though, we are the lowest paid profession in the UK, which stinks, especially when a tube train driver got paid more than we did in London, something wrong there I think. It's another reason some of us British trained nurses go overseas to work, where we get paid what we are worth.
Is that the same tube train driver who, in a single hour of work, is likely to be responsible for the safety of more people than a nurse would be in an entire year at work?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:06 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supermum1
Never used the term 'Chavs' myself. Heard others use it though. Dirtbag climbers I guess is another term similarly used over here (in the climbing world that I've heard) putting others less fortunate down. I have heard racist comments here too admittedly, but find them far less judgemental where single parents are concerned and not so quick to label people in that way.
Can't say I've heard much foul language in the pubs over here, more the opposite, guess it depends where you go too. Prefer 'nicer' ones, not that I frequent pubs much these days with a youngster to mind apart from a monthly visit to a nice ones in Toronto daytime for a meet up brunch with other parents and children.

It's the younger generation frequenting pubs back in the UK with their loud rowdy foul mouths that my Dad dislikes, and I can relate to him not missing any of that when its only got worse, hence why he doesn't go to pubs much now and prefers to have a drink at home, he's in Norfolk near the broads.

Personally, I always liked going out to the more classier bars in London for evenings out where other professionals frequented when I lived and worked there for 4 yrs in the past, so tended not to be near any of that. But it wasn't that bad about 3 years ago in Norfolk where they live from what he said, things have just got worse I think.
the bars may have been classier but the prospect of drunken 'professionals' fills me with horror.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
I've been back in the UK for 4 months now, after 2 years in northern Ontario. I am loving life back in the UK. There are things from our Canadian life that I miss - like sitting on the bleachers in the sun for my son's summer soccer matches, and the wings-and-ribs lifestyle, and Tim Horton's - but there is a lot here that I missed and that I am very pleased to have back.
Our timing was influenced by our children - I came back in May so that my 16 year old daughter could take International GCSE's ready for studying A levels, which she starts tomorrow. She will be able to go to a UK university, as she wanted, as a UK student.
As we live in Wales, we will pay just one third of her university bill (the Welsh government meets the rest of the cost for all Welsh students, no matter which UK university they attend).
My son also starts his GCSE studies tomorrow, so it really was now or never for us.
Being close to family in the UK was an important consideration for us. Sadly my mum died in March, so she missed out on the last 2 years of life with my children. My mother-in-law is doing fine, and lives close to us, and we will make sure the same doesn't happen for her.
We are lucky to live in an area which is (and remains) beautiful and unspoilt. The UK doesn't feel any worse to me than I remember it (although there aren't so many English-speakers in Tesco as I remember), and I think I have grown to love its idiosyncrasies more, having been away. But I appreciate I am lucky, in my little corner of Wales.
It has to be a personal decision. Best of luck.
I did try to give you a heads up about North Bay all those years ago.

Best of luck for the future.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is that the same tube train driver who, in a single hour of work, is likely to be responsible for the safety of more people than a nurse would be in an entire year at work?
You mean the tube drivers that go on strike regularly to try and gain more pay?

Slight underestimation of what we nurses do, what an insult.

Tube train drivers aren't saving lives day in day out all year round, and they didn't go to Uni to get a degree to drive one either. And no they aren't responsible for more people than a nurse is where lives are concerned, we are literally saving lives in hospitals not waiting to save them when an accident happens, though it's us that would be doing that too when that happens as was the case when the London tube bombing occurred of which our hospital and my colleagues were involved with as was I on nursing some in critical care. And all the doctors and nurses I worked with in London would have strongly disagreed with you on this one too.

Last edited by Supermum1; Sep 4th 2013 at 4:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.