British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Considering a move, NS to AB (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/considering-move-ns-ab-798532/)

Nicola N-A May 29th 2013 11:21 pm

Considering a move, NS to AB

Just wondering if anyone here has done this move and what your thoughts are?

We came to NS with a good job, but due to a change in circumstances my husband has got a new job. Pays the bills, but he really doesn't enjoy it. The original job was very specific to this region and the reason we settled here. If he's not in that job.....perhaps we should be looking elsewhere, maybe where there is more work? (He would get a job before we moved anywhere!).

I hear good things about AB (and this was our second choice if NS didn't pan out). I wonder if it's worth moving west now, as a family, while the children are still home as opposed to have them move westwards later and we follow them.....

Rambling a bit, sorry. But any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks.

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:03 am

Re: Considering a move, NS to AB

Wow, we've been discussing that type of move too... Prob ON rather than AB... A little daunting to me. I've come to consider Yarmouth as home but if the job doesn't pan out we would have no option but to pack up and get on our way! :)

Nicola N-A May 30th 2013 12:08 am

Never have liked moving and having done 'the big one', didn't envisage another one of those again!!! But the likelihood of the kids going west when they're older is pretty high I think, so is it better to go now and settle as a family....? So much to think about. Getting too old for this :rofl:

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:11 am

Well one of my boys lives in Halifax which is 3 1/2 hours away. The next one down left for Toronto in December so yes, they're leaving... Hubby is frustrated with his job right now and the options are limited for him in NS big time!
I feel wrong doing this as we got nomination but if we have to find another job we will have no choice. Halifax is probably not an option for us...

Nicola N-A May 30th 2013 12:19 am

you can't feel bad about the nomination if situations change. My husband loved his job, fairly decent money and he absolutely loved what he did - but they are closing down. He had no choice but to leave when offered another job. It was either that or wait until the doors closed and then look for work... It's not that easy to get a job here, so he took what he had to to pay the bills.

We came with a TWP, so everything was set around the job...

We've since got PR. But honestly, we don't feel unsettled here but can't say that we're convinced that we'd be happy if 'this is it'. Of course that may just be us, not the location :blink:

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:30 am

You're in or near Halifax aren't you? I'm in Yarmouth which is so much smaller... There are no opportunities here for OH. I have an interview next week for a job but my skill set is a lot more transferrable than his.
A lot of families here live separately with the father off west somewhere. I don't want to end up in that situation because that is the only way to pay the mortgage.
If OH decides he has to look for another job then I will follow with the 2 younger boys wherever that may be...

allycat231 May 30th 2013 12:33 am

We are leaving for Alberta at the end of the year, purely for financial reasons. Just in income tax alone I would have paid $4000 less in Alberta!! and that's not taking into account that the sales tax is only 5%.

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:38 am

You're in NS too allycat?

allycat231 May 30th 2013 12:39 am

Yes Halifax

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:41 am

Probably know you both on fb then! lol

Nicola N-A May 30th 2013 12:48 am

I'm in Cole Harbour and on FB more than I am here!!! Allycat231 where abouts in AB are you headed?

Nicola N-A May 30th 2013 12:51 am

DandNHill, I would rather not have him out west before us, but I think this will be the reality. I guess it just depends on how long it's for...... a few months would be ok, but beyond that I think it would be hard (especially if I have to get up to shovel snow before work!) :eek:

allycat231 May 30th 2013 12:54 am

Ideally I would like Calgary.

DandNHill May 30th 2013 12:56 am

Haha, I hear you! We have 350m of driveway, that would be a nightmare!
I am losing my job at the end of June, contract comes to an end, so not sure what I will do.
Maybe I could go first? lol :rofl:

allycat231 May 30th 2013 12:58 am

http://www.ultimatecalculators.com/c...alculator.html

Try this out and see what you could save!! ;-)

Lots of jobs in Fort McMoney!!