Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Calgary help needed...

Wikiposts

Considering move to Calgary help needed...

Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about
Default Considering move to Calgary help needed...

We are Permanent Residents and have been living in Winnipeg for about 2years.
I am an Accountant and have worked mainly in the Financial Services Sector. I have spent the last 6mths looking for work after deciding I no longer want to be self-employed.
I did work 3-4mths for a Canadian company when i first arrived but became self-employed soon after, trading my own portfolio of stocks/shares for a living.

When I first arrived in Canada it did take a few months to get my first job. Work was thin on the ground even then which was not what I expected given that my Visa was issued on the basis of there being a shortage of accountants in Manitoba. The recruitment agencies we met on our Recce suggested that finding a job for someone with my resume would not be a problem.
It would seem that the Canadian definition of shortage may differ from my understanding.

That first job I took was completely the wrong job which I learned soon after starting it, hence me only being there for a short time.

Lack of jobs here in Winnipeg has forced me to consider other areas. Calgary is a place that comes to mind but what I'm not sure about is what the job market is like for someone in my circumstances.

I rang an agency today to test the waters and was told most employers are not recruiting from outside the province and most positions are in the Oil/Energy sector. I was told securing employment with my background and experience would be more difficult.

Although I value the advice given to me by the recruitment agency they do sometimes get it wrong (see above). I can get a local address added to my resume which would get round the province problem but I would like to know the experiences of others who have been in similar situations.

Ideally I would find the right job in Winnipeg because we like it here but you gotta go where the work is.

Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering move to Calgary help needed...

Do you have a Canadian designation CA, CGA, etc?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Hello AlmostC,

I do have a Canadian designation.
I am UK ACCA qualified but also attained my CGA qualification before arriving in Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Then I would imagine you will have little difficulty finding a position in Calgary. Whether it would meet with your personal requirements is a question only you can answer.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

That's reassuring to know. Do you work in finance?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

One challenge you will have to face is the cynicism of some recruiters. Why is someone who was self-employed now looking for employment? Did they find self-employment too hard work and want to take it easy? Did they fail on their own dollar so now want to fail on mine?

It is not insurmountable but it is best to be prepared to face the issue head on.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Hello JonboyE,

Granted, it will be a tricky one to answer.
I was disappointed with the work that was available here and decided to do full-time 'swing trading' as it had always been an interest of mine. Working at this from home freed up my wifes time so she could focus on getting back to Teaching as I could assume responsibility of managing the kids.

Although I had initial success at trading, the volatility in the markets as a result of the Middle East and Euro was something that I couldn't master. I don't think it will get better anytime soon hence me looking for work.

I accept that this will be a factor when trying to secure employment. Had I been successful in my job searches prior to becoming self-employed I would have said that my current failures was a result of my time out.

Much of the industry here is manufacturing and the bulk of my experience is in the Financial Services employed as a Management Accountant. Switching sectors for me was never an issue in the UK but it seems they are less likely to take that chance here. Since being here I have also got the impression that me being from the UK may be an issue for some. Winnipeg is not a place many Brits flock to so I may be seen as an unknown quantity compared to other provinces for the type of work I'm looking for.

Having said all that I just don't think there are that many jobs here that would suit me. Regular review of the agency jobs pretty much confirms that.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist

I was disappointed with the work that was available here
I prefer something like there wasn't the opportunity to use the skills and experience you have gained.

Working at this from home freed up my wifes time so she could focus on getting back to Teaching as I could assume responsibility of managing the kids.
This might work well but you will have to gage your audience. There are still people about who think a wife's job is to keep the cave clean and tidy.

Much of the industry here is manufacturing and the bulk of my experience is in the Financial Services employed as a Management Accountant. Switching sectors for me was never an issue in the UK but it seems they are less likely to take that chance here. Since being here I have also got the impression that me being from the UK may be an issue for some. Winnipeg is not a place many Brits flock to so I may be seen as an unknown quantity compared to other provinces for the type of work I'm looking for.

Having said all that I just don't think there are that many jobs here that would suit me. Regular review of the agency jobs pretty much confirms that.
The financial service industry in Canada is centered in Toronto and if you want or need to stay in the sector you should be looking there.

An immigrant will always be seen as a riskier appointment than a local and if you are switching industries then a lot of the experience you have, which could give you an advantage over a local, is negated.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

I hear ya John, I will have to be careful how I construct my reasoning for leaving a job if i want to minimize the negative comments that potential recruiters will be asking/thinking.

I did think of Toronto but I'm keeping that as my last option. Not really keen on the hustle and bustle of Toronto.

I'm thinking Calgary will be a better option than here based on the simple fact that there are more companies there. Although others will be competing for the same position I can't see it being any worse than here. The more interviews I get the greater the chance of getting a job.

Thanks again for the pointers John!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:40 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This might work well but you will have to gage your audience. There are still people about who think a wife's job is to keep the cave clean and tidy.
Sexism is alive and well in Canada, then!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Sexism is alive and well in Canada, then!
Canada is a big place. It varies. If I may be forgiven a sweeping generalization, less in Toronto than Calgary.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:24 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Canada is a big place. It varies. If I may be forgiven a sweeping generalization, less in Toronto than Calgary.
Maybe just fewer caves in Toronto
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe just fewer caves in Toronto
I've just been posting very bad French, so "caves" made me think of wine shops. In France there's plenty of sexism, again depending on where you are.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:01 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Is it the "cowboy" mentality in Calgary, do you think?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:07 pm
Born again atheist

Is it the "cowboy" mentality in Calgary, do you think?
You're just trying to get me into trouble aren't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.