Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

considering canada

considering canada

Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

djr32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default considering canada

Hi to all i am considering moving me and my family out to Canada but have no clue as to job prospects i am registered with a couple of recruitment company's but was still wondering how well i would stand being what i am. i am a domestic and commercial gas service breakdown and service engineer with 15 years experience doing this. thanks in advance for any answers or help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 20th 2014 at 8:36 pm. Reason: Trying to sort out the duplicate!
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default considering canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You say you've registered with recruitment agencies, so does that mean you're already a PR of Canada and don't need a visa?

That will make a big difference and make it much easier to find a job offer if so. Presumably you need your Red Seal, is that something you have underway?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: considering canada

No i am still in England but have placed a cv with agencies to try and secure work before i take the plunge i realise each province has its own rules to what u require but i was just trying to see if generally i could get any work with my skill set.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djr32
No i am still in England but have placed a cv with agencies to try and secure work before i take the plunge i realise each province has its own rules to what u require but i was just trying to see if generally i could get any work with my skill set.
What visa were you planning on 'taking the plunge' on then? Recruitment agencies are unlikely to result in anything, have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? That'll tell you that you really need to job hunt in person.

But the visa will make a big difference - if you have a route to PR now then you'll be much more attractive to employers. Most people need a job offer and LMO to get a visa, but it sounds like you are applying via another route?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You should take a look at the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) PR route.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a red seal for domestic and gas installation. Each province has its own certification, some have licensing too. My husband went back to college to requalify as his UK experience and certs would allow him to challenge the exams but he was unable to get hold of any books unless he was a student on the relevant courses. He was told by his instructor that it is rare to pass the exams without doing the course. Also for Ontario there are few jobs, and many are seasonal. For Ontario look at the TSSA website.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There isn't a red seal for domestic and gas installation. Each province has its own certification, some have licensing too. My husband went back to college to requalify as his UK experience and certs would allow him to challenge the exams but he was unable to get hold of any books unless he was a student on the relevant courses. He was told by his instructor that it is rare to pass the exams without doing the course. Also for Ontario there are few jobs, and many are seasonal. For Ontario look at the TSSA website.
Sorry bats, there is a Red Seal endorsement for gas installers now.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=486
The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program

A GASFITTER - CLASS B installs, inspects, repairs and maintains gas lines and any gas-fired equipment up to and including 400, 000 British Thermal Units (BTU). They also service, repair, remove and replace gas-fired equipment and components of gas-fired equipment such as burners, valves and automatic controls. A gasfitter demonstrates knowledge of applicable acts, legislation and regulations, codes, and regulations, manufacturer's recommendations and specifications and company policies and procedures.

Trade designated on October 25, 2012.
NL NS PE NB QC ON MB SK AB BC NT YT NU
No Yes Yes No Yes No Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:55 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

A GASFITTER - CLASS B installs, inspects, repairs and maintains gas lines and any gas-fired equipment up to and including 400, 000 British Thermal Units (BTU). They also service, repair, remove and replace gas-fired equipment and components of gas-fired equipment such as burners, valves and automatic controls. A gasfitter demonstrates knowledge of applicable acts, legislation and regulations, codes, and regulations, manufacturer's recommendations and specifications and company policies and procedures.

Nope not there yet, still under development. No Red Seal exam
That list seems odd as it makes it seem that you don't need licensing for Ontario but you do. There are three levels and you need the middle one to work unsupervised

The whole Red Seal exam thing is a bit of a red herring really as you only need that if you are going to move around provinces otherwise you just neeed to be qualified in the province in which you want to work.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:25 am
Just Joined

So looking at this i come under the essential skills list am i right in saying this and i can do upto 1000kw in size which is a whole load more than 400000 btu.What is described on that page is my day to day work at the moment basically,and the letters above the answers are thses area/zip codes? thanks
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So,and the letters above the answers are thses area/zip codes? thanks
Provinces. Territories. Bits of Canada.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

so as a class b plumber gas fitter were would i get the most work in canada?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

For gas, separate ticket is required in each province that is not inter provincial. In BC, gas fitters are regulated by Safety BC and have to be licensed by them.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Being realistic what would be a good province for a steady income and family friendly schools etc?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Being realistic, Canada is a first world country. Other than something of a general trend for oil & gas money in Alberta, and for a slow trend of long-term decline in the maritimes, you want to ask that question about parts of cities, not entire provinces. All of them will, in particular, have good & less good schools depending on entirely local factors.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:58 pm
Banned

Being realistic what would be a good province for a steady income and family friendly schools etc?
Being realistic, your most important concern needs to be what Province you can find a job in and obtain a work permit for. All the Provinces have family friendly schools and have good places to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.