Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To consider Canada or not

To consider Canada or not

Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To consider Canada or not

Originally Posted by tee1
I moved for the exact same reasons you want to, I live in Whistler and work as a backcountry guide.

Other than Vancouver I find that we're quite isolated in Whistler.
At first I did not mind the drive to the city but now it's just so frustrating to drive so far for a pair of jeans, to take a course or buy car parts when my stoopid motor needs repair.

I feel the same way. My drive to the city is 45 minutes closer then yours is, but it's still a pain when you need something and can't find locally which even in Squamish is more often then I would have thought before living here.

Needs shoes for example, it's Marks or Wal-Mart, Marks has a small selection and I can find something there 50% of the time, and the other well their shoes are so cheap wouldn't even consider them.

Upside to Whistler though, you have a movie theater...

Flights, well Canadians must have rip me off tattooed on their foreheads. It's a big country with not alot of people so competition is not the same as the UK and prices I find high.

I agree with airfare, insanely high.

Bold mine.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:09 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobble
Sounds like a great idea not2old. Muskoka looks great and not somewhere I was familiar with until now.
Thanks
For this part of the country (south of Muskoka) there is Barrie, Ontario as a place to do everything that you want & still be one-hour from the airport, a major centre, schools, hospitals & work

Google it as well as map it to see many of the things that you've been looking for

Barrie Ski Resorts - Skiing and Snowboarding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrie

http://www.barrie.ca/Pages/default.aspx
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

A comparison of snow fall Mont -Blanc France to Barrie Ontario

Snowfall History (Snowfall 2015) - Chamonix Mont-Blanc - OnTheSnow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbelt

Skiing & Snowboarding

"Barrie, Ontario is your perfect winter wonderland for skiing and snowboarding. Barrie is situated in a natural snow belt, and is blessed with lake effect snowfalls throughout the winter months. Only 45 minutes north of Toronto, the Barrie area receives approximately 100 inches of snow per year. Combined with state-of-the-art snowmaking and grooming facilities, this makes for powder-perfect alpine and nordic conditions all winter long."

Last edited by not2old; Sep 13th 2015 at 1:58 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point

tee1

Thanks,
You sound very similar in respects of priorities to us. Really good honest appraisal of the reality of life in the mountains.
In balance, non of the downsides are any worse or any greater than those living in the UK (particularly cornwall) but the positives, as we expected, certainly outweigh them anyway.
The crux will be, as it seems for you, to find a balance where there is enough time to do the things we move there for, if we still end up working 5 days a week 9-10 hrs a day, theres no point. Although i have a done the maths and we have a pretty cheap day to day lifestyle and as long as there is money for kit, we dont need to earn all that much.
We are lucky in that, i built the house we live in which is worth a lot more than it cost us to build, so if we were to move, we should be able to buy a house with no debt, a massive monthly saving against what we need to earn.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"White Flight" from the South has brought thousands to Scotland.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobble
I want to be able to cross country ski/snowshoe to the shops/work etc.

You won't get that in an urban area in Canada.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't know how your own profession is in Canada, but I think there are a lecturer or two on the forum (or former lecturer) that can hopefully help out with that - I don't think it's as bad as teaching, but it's definitely something to look in to.

For the majority of positions teaching at a college a degree will be required. Without a degree there is no way that one can teach at a university.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It is lovely here and sounds right up your street... But Not2old's idea of a cottage is ridiculously expensive. Cottages are the summer vacation homes of the rich and famous

Really? My parents owned a cottage while I was growing up and we weren't rich (Mum was a housewife and Dad a plumber/pipe fitter).
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
My parents owned a cottage while I was growing up and we weren't rich
It's quite common for rich people to not think they are rich.

Associate with other rich folk and it seems normal.

"We're not rich, just last month we had to sell one of the Bentleys."
Old Sep 13th 2015, 7:18 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Really? My parents owned a cottage while I was growing up and we weren't rich (Mum was a housewife and Dad a plumber/pipe fitter).
Passed down though? And also depending on area.... Sure you can get a small cottage... But anyhow N2O was pointing as a vacation rental and they are pretty pricey to rent. I've been contemplating buying a small rental cottage ourselves to rent out..
Old Sep 13th 2015, 9:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Why not look at places east of Algonquin Park. Barry's Bay and suchlike. You could head to the Laurentians for skiing and Ottawa for culture
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't mean a plumber family on a single income could afford one today. My parents were not rich either a warehouse worker and paramedic (paramedics are not well compensated in many many regions of the US and my mom was not well paid like paramedics in Canada are.) and could afford a lot of things a couple with 2 kids doing the same jobs today in that area could not do now.

Times changes.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's quite common for rich people to not think they are rich.

Associate with other rich folk and it seems normal.

"We're not rich, just last month we had to sell one of the Bentleys."
So true, spot on.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Passed down though? And also depending on area.... Sure you can get a small cottage... But anyhow N2O was pointing as a vacation rental and they are pretty pricey to rent. I've been contemplating buying a small rental cottage ourselves to rent out..
It's conceivable.

Real estate in certain places in Canada is not expensive and real estate was probably much more affordable in Colchar's parents day.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent a fair amount of time around the Alps I would say here is better, because (a) language; (b) lower cost of living and (c) less people about.

And now everyone is going to chip and whine about how much it costs to live in Vancouver, well who says you have to live in Vancouver, you could live in eastern BC or Alberta.

However the economy is rapidly going down the tubes here because of the drop in the price of oil.

Winters are more severe here, and once again someone is going to chip in and say "not in BC" and if you think non-stop rain somehow makes the Fraser Valley preferable to the Alps, think again.

But obviously asking people who moved to Canada whether it's a good idea to move to Canada is going to get you the answer that yes it is. If you ask people who moved to France you might get a different opinion.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_
Having spent a fair amount of time around the Alps I would say here is better, because (a) language; (b) lower cost of living and (c) less people about.

And now everyone is going to chip and whine about how much it costs to live in Vancouver, well who says you have to live in Vancouver, you could live in eastern BC or Alberta.

However the economy is rapidly going down the tubes here because of the drop in the price of oil.

Winters are more severe here, and once again someone is going to chip in and say "not in BC" and if you think non-stop rain somehow makes the Fraser Valley preferable to the Alps, think again.

But obviously asking people who moved to Canada whether it's a good idea to move to Canada is going to get you the answer that yes it is. If you ask people who moved to France you might get a different opinion.
I wouldn't recommend anyone move to the Fraser Valley, it's okay I suppose but I didn't care for it. Too conservative for my liking.

I'd take cold and sunny Alberta over warmer but grey coastal southern BC, sunshine is the best thing in winter, days are too short to have nothing but clouds...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.