Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Thanks, and I now log on to this thread purely for entertainment value too, it's better than cable
We don't get cable here, perhaps that's why I consider this to be so amusing!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:24 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'm still waiting .... but I live in hope.
But Hope is in BC
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Howard1944
dbd, I take it you live on the edge of TO because you can't afford to live there??

Do you even know where the Annex is, Bloor West Village, the Queensway, Forest Hill, Allenby, Chaplin Estates, Mimico, Long Point, Rosedale, Moore Park, Riverdale, etc.
Bloor W Village, Riverdale, Annex etc., basically areas with some cutesy stores, a few OK restaurants, some ethnic eateries, and numerous chain stores and fast food outlets. all surrounded by Victorian houses.

Now what does that sound like? Like most high streets and town centres in the UK. There are more areas like that in London alone. Sure, those areas you mention are nice places to hang out, and people like them because they are more "european" feeling.

And Rosedale? Lol. So, an area of a few thousand people is representative of Toronto? How many times do most people living in Toronto actually go to Rosedale? There are nice areas in Baghdad too, doesn't mean it is a livable city.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I have not exaggerated once, simply stated facts. Here are several if you really want them (although why you can't manage to look them up on Google yourself is beyond me, there are plenty to choose from) - Mr Chippy Fish & Chips, Club Buena Vista, Marbella. English Fish & Chips Co, Avenida de Espana, Marbella. Peggottys Fish & Chips, Benavista, Marbella. Alberts On the Port, Ctra. de Cádiz, Km 194, Puerto Cabopino, 29600 Marbella. Rubys, Plaza Juan de la Rosa, 29600 Marbella. Tramps, Plaza Juan de la Rosa, 2-A, 29600 Marbella. Tricky Rickys, C.C. Guadalmina Alta, 8, 29670 San Pedro Alcántara, Marbella.
So you had to Google it? And that is all you found?

The way you were talking was as though there were Fish and Chip shops around every corner? There are way ,way more restaurants serving other types of cuisine than fish and chips. In fact almost every corner had a tapas restaurant, not a fish and chip shop.

And you are wrong about my age. Try again.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dunno. Of my four failed marriage/common law relationships weight gain was a major factor in the end of two of them. The problem is that, as one gets older and poorer,
If you are getting poorer as you get older, you are doing something wrong. You should be adding to your assets as you get older, thus making you more desirable.

the ability to acquire younger and thinner women declines. I think eventually one may have to accept as much as a stone in excess weight. How big was the heifer you're most ashamed of?
Never dated a heifer. My longest relationship did end because she stopped taking care of herself and I wasn't attracted to her anymore. And yes, she did put on weight, but not enough for me to say she was a heifer. Many guys were still attracted to her, just not me.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, notax credit qualifications and no income splitting to reduce any tax burden. Plus another point it isnt quite swap one for one. 50,000 GBP has about as much spending power as 70,000 CDN.
So, then in economic terms you were doing quite well in the UK. Very, very few Canadian families have an income close to $140K a year.

Yes but here we are living in NB
Sorry, but to me moving from London, with everything the city has to offer to NB is a HUGE step down. London is such a vibrant city always pulsing with life, full of culture, cuisine, cafes, and myriad pursuits. You name it, you will find it in London. To go from that to NB, I would be seriously depressed. I really don't know how people do it. I would rather live in London in a 900 Sq ft apartment than in the middle of nowhere in a 3000 sq ft house.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
If you are getting poorer as you get older, you are doing something wrong. You should be adding to your assets as you get older, thus making you more desirable.
Living gets in the way. University education, maybe fifty grand a throw, times two. Disabled child requiring support, I dunno, a couple of grand a month. Divorce, total cost probably $750,000 and then two households to support. One can easily accumulate wealth if one choses not to live. I'm reconciled to dying broke.

How many children do you support? How many exes? How many horses and how many boats?

And how come you've never woken up with someone of such girth that you thought "I done that? Oh dear."?

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 18th 2007 at 10:51 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:57 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

So, then in economic terms you were doing quite well in the UK. Very, very few Canadian families have an income close to $140K a year.

Sorry, but to me moving from London, with everything the city has to offer to NB is a HUGE step down. London is such a vibrant city always pulsing with life, full of culture, cuisine, cafes, and myriad pursuits. You name it, you will find it in London. To go from that to NB, I would be seriously depressed. I really don't know how people do it. I would rather live in London in a 900 Sq ft apartment than in the middle of nowhere in a 3000 sq ft house.
In the UK I was in the top 10% of earners according to the government which just goes to show the skewed earnings. Average salary is about 25,000 GBP.

Living in the UK and London is fine if you are not trying to raise a family.

I can tell that after a 50 - 60 hour work week, with another 15 -20 hours commuting on top I didn't have the energy or inclination to get on another train to travel into London to experience the undoubted wonder of its culture, cuisine and myriad pursuits. You still need some serious disposable income to enjoy London in the way you are talking.

Yes we very occassionally went in to see the theatre / show in the west end or covent garden. Do I miss it ??? no not yet and I cannot see myself missing it to be honest.

I think you will find that no one here has moved to Canada looking for Utopia, but we are all different and have different aspirations and desires thats why we live in different places, with different shaped people and at the end of the day count yourself lucky if you are happy. People who move here from the UK are moving for their own individual reasons. The fact that you cannot understand why doesn't change that for them it was something they considered to be the right thing to do.

People do not emigrate lightly it puts your life on hold, and your family on an emotional rollercoaster. Just to make it to your destination is a testimony of their grit and determination.

Where in NB did you live?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I was in the top 10% of earners according to the government which just goes to show the skewed earnings. Average salary is about 25,000 GBP.

Living in the UK and London is fine if you are not trying to raise a family.

I can tell that after a 50 - 60 hour work week, with another 15 -20 hours commuting on top I didn't have the energy or inclination to get on another train to travel into London to experience the undoubted wonder of its culture, cuisine and myriad pursuits. You still need some serious disposable income to enjoy London in the way you are talking.

Yes we very occassionally went in to see the theatre / show in the west end or covent garden. Do I miss it ??? no not yet and I cannot see myself missing it to be honest.

I think you will find that no one here has moved to Canada looking for Utopia, but we are all different and have different aspirations and desires thats why we live in different places, with different shaped people and at the end of the day count yourself lucky if you are happy. People who move here from the UK are moving for their own individual reasons. The fact that you cannot understand why doesn't change that for them it was something they considered to be the right thing to do.

People do not emigrate lightly it puts your life on hold, and your family on an emotional rollercoaster. Just to make it to your destination is a testimony of their grit and determination.

Hear, hear!

If AdrianTO want to see inner city life at its worst, he could watch an episode of Street Crime UK or take a look at Shameless.

Yob and chav culture really have to be experienced first hand to truly understand the apathy and waste of a large percentage of the youth in the UK.

You may think that this is an exaggeration with journalist licence, but my hubby works for the local authority and has to content with this on a daily basis; repair the wonton distruction, over and over again.

They have to work in pairs as on some estates in the City it is unsafe.

The sooner we get out of the UK the better.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Concern1 will become famous soon enoughConcern1 will become famous soon enough

I actually came to this site looking for information about living in Spain or Italy.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, and I am trying to get out of here. But, I see a lot of people wanting to come here.

I spent the last winter around the Costa del Sol. And the lifestyle is so much better. People are more relaxed, they enjoy their leisure. Spend time with family and friends.

Here people live a commuter lifestyle, not much different from the UK. In fact, people have less vacation time here. And even then, a lot of people don't take all their vacation because of work commitments. They spend hours a week commuting. Everybody I know here doesn't have a life.

So, I am amazed that so many people are going through so much trouble to move here.

Why? What am I missing? Why Canada?
Take my word for it. The Brits are the easiest to con and fool. There is a sucker in like everyone of them. They lap in these 'green over there' theory like there us no tomorrow. Who in their right minds, would move to Italy or Spain. Haven't you noticed, the best and brightest of them arriving in droves to London?
What chance do you think you will have to get a job or start a business. And no I don't mean 'teaching english'. None. Whatsoever.
There is NO money in Italy, France or Spain.
Nice life there are introducing to their children. Trust me there is nothing to help these naive fools.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
If AdrianTO want to see inner city life at its worst, he could watch an episode of Street Crime UK or take a look at Shameless.

If he's in Toronto why couldn't he just visit Filmores and then stroll down to Queen? Think of Bob Hoskins looking gobsmacked at Paddington in Mona Lisa and you'll have an idea of my Toronto.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Concern1
Take my word for it. The Brits are the easiest to con and fool. There is a sucker in like everyone of them. They lap in these 'green over there' theory like there us no tomorrow. Who in their right minds, would move to Italy or Spain. Haven't you noticed, the best and brightest of them arriving in droves to London?
What chance do you think you will have to get a job or start a business. And no I don't mean 'teaching english'. None. Whatsoever.
There is NO money in Italy, France or Spain.
Nice life there are introducing to their children. Trust me there is nothing to help these naive fools.
So where do you think a bright Briton keen to see the world, fluent in Italian or French, talented in some skill, carpentry, accounting or computing, for example, should go?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:33 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

What a lively discussion
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Concern1 will become famous soon enoughConcern1 will become famous soon enough

Far from me to advise where to go. Just that Europe does not offer the best balance between quality of life and opportunity that one should strive for.
If it is a toss-up, i'd go for opportunity. Which is why i'm happy in London, thank you. For goodness sake. Come on, France, Italy? I mean do you what life is really like there? A trash dump would be better. Not for the world, thank you.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have never lived in NB. Why would I want to live in NB? Even people that are from NB don't want to live in NB! They are moving to places to Toronto to look for jobs and a better life.

So, when somebody like you actually moves to NB, they must be falling over themselves to welcome you. It is such a rare occurence. Sorry, but your idea of "paradise" is not exactly shared by most people.

New Brunswick aims to boost population
Last Updated: Monday, February 19, 2007 | 1:03 PM AT
CBC News

The Liberal government has set up a group to try to reverse New Brunswick's declining population trend.

"For the first time since the Great Depression, New Brunswick is experiencing a prolonged population decline," Graham said.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...opulation.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.