Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by Howard1944
dbd, I take it you live on the edge of TO because you can't afford to live there??
And have room to keep horses. You may recall that I previously lived in the Beach and, before that, downtown.

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Do you even know where the Annex is, Bloor West Village, the Queensway, Forest Hill, Allenby, Chaplin Estates, Mimico, Long Point, Rosedale, Moore Park, Riverdale, etc.
I know all those places and couldn't afford even five acres in any of them (well maybe Mimico but that's New Toronto, not Toronto proper). Long Point is an odd place to mention, if you mean the park with the nude beach and the Lyme disease it's hardly Toronto.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
7 lbs is not a lot and she could lose it in a couple of weeks if she tried.
Half a stone, not a lot? My, I thought you were a sound judge of the female form, now you're saying that 20% of volume either way doesn't matter? I think you're a great deal more flab tolerant then I am.

My guess, btw, for the age sweepstakes is that you are 17.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Our mortgage was about 1,800 per month.

I think the relevant question is how much did you actually have as disposable income. taxation was similar to here except as I earned the lion share I paid 40% tax + 8% National Insurance (health and EI coverage - which entitles me only 6 months of EI benefits). There is 17.5% sales tax on nearly everything and it will never be reduced because it is all included in the price and hidden.

Other costs off the top of my head without checking, Council Tax of 300 per month, Rail travel 400 per month, petrol 200 per month, food 700 - 800 per month, gas & electricity 150 per month, cable tv 70 per month (inc internet), water 50 per month etc...

We only ran one medium size car, lived in a 900sqft 3 bedroomed house about 25 miles SW London.
Do any of those expenses, example mortgage or interest payments qualify as a tax credit or deduction?

I think if you were to change the dollars for pounds and a compare a family living in Toronto, you would get about the same calculations. i.e earning about $100K a year, living an hour away from toronto, husband and wife both working etc... There would be some variations, example a bigger house and two cars. But, essentially, not too different from what you have layed out.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you're a great deal more flab tolerant then I am.
Not really. You are still with her, aren't you?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not really. You are still with her, aren't you?

Well yes but she hasn't noticeably expanded since yesterday when you thought 7lbs could be lived with. Are you now saying that the 7lbs would certainly be too much for you?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well yes but she hasn't noticeably expanded since yesterday when you thought 7lbs could be lived with. Are you now saying that the 7lbs would certainly be too much for you?
No, what I am saying is that you are a lot more flab tolerant than your post makes you out to be.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:49 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Do any of those expenses, example mortgage or interest payments qualify as a tax credit or deduction?

I think if you were to change the dollars for pounds and a compare a family living in Toronto, you would get about the same calculations. i.e earning about $100K a year, living an hour away from toronto, husband and wife both working etc... There would be some variations, example a bigger house and two cars. But, essentially, not too different from what you have layed out.
Nope, notax credit qualifications and no income splitting to reduce any tax burden. Plus another point it isnt quite swap one for one. 50,000 GBP has about as much spending power as 70,000 CDN.

Yes but here we are living in NB and have a 2500 sqft home, 3 cars (the girls are now 20 and 17) plus a social life which we didnt really have in the UK. We didnt move to feel richer we moved for lifestyle change a few more years commuting 15-20 hours per week on top of my work week would have led to a heart attack, so much more stress. We are more relaxed, happier overall and if the girls argue we/they can move to different rooms and cool down rather than forever being in each others way. Do not under estimate the level of stress when people live / travel in cramped conditions.

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Nov 18th 2007 at 5:51 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, what I am saying is that you are a lot more flab tolerant than your post makes you out to be.
I dunno. Of my four failed marriage/common law relationships weight gain was a major factor in the end of two of them. The problem is that, as one gets older and poorer, the ability to acquire younger and thinner women declines. I think eventually one may have to accept as much as a stone in excess weight. How big was the heifer you're most ashamed of?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You went several times? I thought you hated it there?

The UK isn't that bad after all is it? Your initial stories of woe seem to have been grossly exaggerated, just so you could make a point.

A wise man once said, you are as old as the woman you feel. Right now I am feeling about 22. If you want my chronological age, clues are in the thread. If you really want to punish yourself, you can go through all 500 plus posts and see if you can figure it out!

p.s I am still waiting for you to tell me where you saw all those fish and chips shops. Or is that another one of your exaggerations?
In response to your above daft mumblings, in sequential order:

As I said, we had friends there. We went to visit them, not the horrible place they lived in. Clearly friendship is something lacking in your life and that you don't understand but we missed them like crazy so simply went to see them!

When have I ever said it's horrible? Not once. In fact, I've pointed out that we're very happy here and have no intention of not returning after our two years in North America. I simply pointed out how expensive everything was in answer to your question in your op. I said that might be a reason for people to leave the UK, clarified on why using examples from my life, but never once said that I hated it.

I already think you are middle aged, as I have said. There are numerous clues pointing to that age, you appear to be a walking cliche of a man in the full throes of a mid-life crisis. I just wanted to see if you would be honest enough to admit it but obviously not. 22 - yeah right!!

I have not exaggerated once, simply stated facts. Here are several if you really want them (although why you can't manage to look them up on Google yourself is beyond me, there are plenty to choose from) - Mr Chippy Fish & Chips, Club Buena Vista, Marbella. English Fish & Chips Co, Avenida de Espana, Marbella. Peggottys Fish & Chips, Benavista, Marbella. Alberts On the Port, Ctra. de Cádiz, Km 194, Puerto Cabopino, 29600 Marbella. Rubys, Plaza Juan de la Rosa, 29600 Marbella. Tramps, Plaza Juan de la Rosa, 2-A, 29600 Marbella. Tricky Rickys, C.C. Guadalmina Alta, 8, 29670 San Pedro Alcántara, Marbella.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 18th 2007 at 7:17 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:19 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a winning line of responses to me. Get out of that one without moving.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a winning line of responses to me. Get out of that one without moving.
Why thank you! I also thought that you made your points very well. The trouble with this guy is that he just seems to like arguing for the sake of it. I'm finding it quite amusing, I just log on every couple of days and see what his latest daft response is - he's usually ignoring the parts of peoples posts that are relevant simply to try and argue with them (i.e. asking why I'd been to Marbella several times even though I didn't like it - when I'd clearly said it was to visit friends, doh!!).

I think of it as 'old man baiting'!!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:36 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why thank you! I also thought that you made your points very well. The trouble with this guy is that he just seems to like arguing for the sake of it. I'm finding it quite amusing, I just log on every couple of days and see what his latest daft response is - he's usually ignoring the parts of peoples posts that are relevant simply to try and argue with them (i.e. asking why I'd been to Marbella several times even though I didn't like it - when I'd clearly said it was to visit friends, doh!!).

I think of it as 'old man baiting'!!
Thanks, and I now log on to this thread purely for entertainment value too, it's better than cable
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks, and I now log on to this thread purely for entertainment value too, it's better than cable
I find it profoundly illuminating. I expect to learn something any moment now.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I find it profoundly illuminating. I expect to learn something any moment now.
I'm still waiting .... but I live in hope.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'm still waiting .... but I live in hope.
It's cold here today, never above freezing. The foot of unheated bit at the end of our hose froze so I had to cut it back to the same length as the heating wire. There you go, things you didn't know, things as useful to you as a list of the fish and chip shops in Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.