Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:44 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

London and the UK is, on average, deidely more expensive than Canada, my visits made me think that what cost $1 in Canada cost One Pound in the U.K, twice as much.

The beauty of TO/Canada and the Internet is that we have access and ability to enjoy the pricing of the U.S., and with the current Canadian $ trading above US $ , plus the traditional low prices of the U.S., Cross Border shopping is back.

My Neighbour just bought a car for $40,000CDN that normally costs $76,000 here, he just shuffled off to Buffalo.

Cold, Florida is a days DRIVE away, buy your new car there, your Holiday is free.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would also hate to live in Spain. Generally I don't like the lifestyle or climate there, and it's so touristy (and not in a good way, if I want fish and chips for my supper I'll stay in the UK thanks!).
Sounds like you have been spending too much time in Torremolinos or many of the other British ghettos along the coast.

It is funny that you should mention fish and chips. I had a hankering for some authentic british fish and chips while I was in Spain, but where I was living, I was unable to locate a single place that specialized in british fish and chips. But as it happens, I was able to indulge in some great fried fish or pescatos fritos as the Spanish call it, sitting on the patio of a restaurant on the banks of the River Triana in Seville. Oh, and this was the middle of the february. The sun was shining, the temperature was in the 20s.. and the pescatos fritos? Muy delicioso!

The cost of living in the UK is just ridiculous as has been pointed out to you many times - another example is childcare costs. Still think the quality of life in the UK is so great?
You could be paying upto $1500 a month for childcare costs for two kids in Canada, depending on where you live.

and others have chosen to live in Canada which you may not understand, but it is their choice and decision so just deal with it!
And why is it bothering you so much? You have already said that you are not moving here permanently. Yet you come in here, all angry and aggressive, telling us how bad things are in the UK. They are obviously not that bad if you are not moving permanently.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Firstly, how do you know what my family scenario is i.e. what my husband earns?!? .
But you just used your family scenario to tell us how unbearable things are in the UK. If you can afford to stay at home, while your husband works and still afford to run a house and pay a mortgage, it is not all that bad is it? You can't have it both ways, which is what you seem to be trying to do.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:10 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Sounds like you have been spending too much time in Torremolinos or many of the other British ghettos along the coast.

It is funny that you should mention fish and chips. I had a hankering for some authentic british fish and chips while I was in Spain, but where I was living, I was unable to locate a single place that specialized in british fish and chips. But as it happens, I was able to indulge in some great fried fish or pescatos fritos as the Spanish call it, sitting on the patio of a restaurant on the banks of the River Triana in Seville. Oh, and this was the middle of the february. The sun was shining, the temperature was in the 20s.. and the pescatos fritos? Muy delicioso!
Seville's lovely, but I wouldn't want to live there all year. It's been known to hit 50 ÂșC in the summer.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
My Neighbour just bought a car for $40,000CDN that normally costs $76,000 here, he just shuffled off to Buffalo.
Cars are often mentioned but there's also a huge saving in car insurance costs if you buy the policy in the US. I just looked at getting the Toyota Canadian plates, the insurance would be $750/year, if we leave it on the US plates and buy an expat policy with a US company it's $80. The Honda went from $300 to $2000 when we localised it.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is 2097, Europe is trying to deal with the hordes fleeing the worst drought in African History at the same time they battle the worst storms ever.

London has flooded, the inhabitants have been forced to flee , as has much of the population of the coast as high winds and raising sea levels threaten to engulf the tiny Island.

Australia is being engulfed by raging fires and the water levels are not high enough to deal with them, people are fleeing int the outback and an uncertain future.

The U.S has lost much of its' mid western grain belt due to higher temperatures and are dependent upon imports from Canada, which are reporting record yields due to more available land for farming.

Asia reports record fatalities due to the flooding at the Three Gorges Dam and air quality that is unbreathable.

The US/Canada are threatening to sink any ships trying to enter their ports, all Air Ports are closed, the Mexican border also.

Canada, faced with elevated temperatures are exporting some of the vast resources found under the ice Caps and utilising the now open North West Passage to transport these materials.

Canada continues to enjoy an abundance of fresh Water, the population still under 40 million due to a freeze on Immigration in 2057.

Why Canada, Dooms Day, take your poison???

With due recognition to Gore and An Inconvenient Truth.
What are you smoking? Whatever it is, it must be some good stuff. Did you go and steal some fine BC Bud from Bazzz's stash?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Think I'll stick with Canada

From the Telegraph.

British expats in Spain targeted for crime

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 11/11/2007

Paredon, nestling on the Costa Blanca, is typical of many villages that have succumbed to the British invasion of this part of Spain.

Official figures put the number of Britons on the Costa Blanca at about 100,000, but the real number is thought to be double that, as many chose not to register with the government or only visit their holiday homes for part of the year.

Paredon is not the British mecca that is Torrevieja or Calpe, but there is a rising population of Britons, many retired, who want to pass their final years here in the Spanish sun.

Many expatriate towns have their own enclaves, British bars, fish and chip shops and the British residents often speak little or no Spanish.

Crime here has not been on the scale of the Costa del Sol, otherwise known as the Costa del Crime. But foreign gangs of Kosovans, Albanians and Romanians, have targeted the chalets of Britons and other foreigners, wrongly believing them all to be rich.

Charles Svoboda, deputy president of the campaign group No to Urban Abuses, which fights the notorious 'land-grab law' in the Valencia region, believes Britons and other foreigners are at greater risk of crime as unemployment grows.

"With the building industry and particularly the holiday home industry, going into recession, there will be lots more people on the dole which is always a stimulator to crime," he said.
Yep, I have heard about this. Apparently British pensioners living in the Costas are being slaughtered in mass. The problem is so severe that the Spanish authorities are running out of body bags in which to send the Brits home. They have had to ask the US Army for help in supplying body bags.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Looks like its Nigeria then

France flops in the love league

By Henry Samuel
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 28/06/2007

The French reputation for romance suffered a knock yesterday after a poll found it was one of the most frustrated nations in bed.

Couple at the beach: France finds itself among the flops in the love league
Nigeria came top of the satisfaction league, followed by Mexico and India, in the poll by Durex

A survey held in 26 countries puts France second from bottom of the table in terms of sexual satisfaction, only trailed by Japan. Britain was around mid-table.

The poll of 26,000 people showed that while the French were near the top of the ratings in terms of sexual activity, having intercourse 120 times a year, and the number of orgasms, only a quarter of those questioned said they were "satisfied". Britain, which came near the bottom in terms of frequency of intercourse - at 92 times a year - had a 40 per cent satisfaction rate. This was above Germany and Italy, another country with a passionate reputation.

Nigeria came top of the satisfaction league, followed by Mexico and India. Japan was last on 15 per cent in the poll by the condom maker Durex.

"A myth collapses," lamented Le Parisien. "The French lover's morale - and everything that goes with it - is at half mast."

However, Gallic honour was saved by Jacques Waynberg, director of the French Institute of Sexology, who said the expectations in France were simply higher than elsewhere.

"France and Japan have a long erotic tradition and are thus more demanding," he said. "As they raise the bar very high, it's only normal that they are more dissatisfied."
I would take a sensual French/Spanish/European woman over some sexually repressed, uptight, overweight Canadian woman any day.

What I noticed while I was living there is that the majority of Spanish women in their 20s, 30s and even 40s are slim, well dressed, fashionable and feminine. Sure they have some overweight women, but they are in the minority. Contrast that with the N American fatties.... ughhh...
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a sensual French/Spanish/European woman over some sexually repressed, uptight, overweight Canadian woman any day.

What I noticed while I was living there is that the majority of Spanish women in their 20s, 30s and even 40s are slim, well dressed, fashionable and feminine. Sure they have some overweight women, but they are in the minority. Contrast that with the N American fatties.... ughhh...
If women are all about volume, and I agree that once they pass ten stone one should look at trading them in, why not get an Asian one?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cold, Florida is a days DRIVE away, buy your new car there, your Holiday is free.
Yeah, at least a 24 hour drive from Toronto. In the winter? No thanks. It would cost you $300 per person to fly there. You can fly from the UK to Spain and numerous other warmer climes for a quarter of that.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
If women are all about volume, and I agree that once they pass ten stone one should look at trading them in, why not get an Asian one?
Most of the attractive women in Toronto are recent immigrants, Persians, E Europeans and sure many Asian women as well, as long as they are not "Canadianized".
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Most of the attractive women in Toronto are recent immigrants, Persians, E Europeans and sure many Asian women as well, as long as they are not "Canadianized".
I can't say I've analysed all of the attractive women in Toronto but there's that Belinda Stronach, she's not a recent immigrant and yet phwoar! And then what about that Avril Lavigne? She spits a lot but I bet she's fun if you approach from behind.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:35 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

And why is it bothering you so much? You have already said that you are not moving here permanently. Yet you come in here, all angry and aggressive, telling us how bad things are in the UK. They are obviously not that bad if you are not moving permanently.
You are assuming that they will be returning to the UK, that may not be the case.

Personally I moved because it was as bad as they are telling you in this thread, and I don't have intention of returning to live in the UK. People get angry because you are questioning their reasons for leaving and have they really thought it through. Well I would say that emigrating is never being done lightly so many people have gone through heart wrenching decisions to leave their country of birth. Emigration because of the Weather seems an extremely trivial factor to me.

For what it is worth in my impression (living in NB for 2 years after leaving London commuter belt).
  • The sum total of cost of living in Canada is about the same as the UK. ie Food is expensive here in relation to salary, housing is cheaper, gas is cheaper, income taxes are about the same.
  • Tax on the whole are probably slightly lower.
  • Schools in NB are less disruptive than Schools in Surrey UK (both daughters vouch for this and we lived in a reasonably affluent area of Surrey).
  • Crime is unbelievably lower in NB than Surrey UK.
After two years I am earning nearly the same salary (in respect to spending power) and I can honestly say we have a much better quality of life and standard of living than we had in the UK.

I don't care on iota if you question our motives, or if you think we are crazy, because we are happy living and contributing to a society that values it's people more than in the UK.

Good luck living in Spain when it is touching 40-50c throughout the summer.
Good luck when buying a house / property, be very careful about buying land to build on.
Good luck getting things done quickly (if you live in NB with its laid back attitude you will get some idea of the speed of service in Spain).
Watch out for the unashamed, visible racism that will take your breathe away. I was stunned when two middle aged Spaniards made ape like movements and noises at a racially mixed couple on the beach. This may have been a one off, but I have never seen it in the UK or Canada.

End of my contribution on this thread, hope it helps clarify things for you.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
This may have been a one off, but I have never seen it in the UK or Canada.
Perhaps because you're in NB, open racism is common enough in Toronto and more so in rural Ontario. It's also common in the UK, does the name Nick
Griffin ring a bell?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:50 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps because you're in NB, open racism is common enough in Toronto and more so in rural Ontario. It's also common in the UK, does the name Nick
Griffin ring a bell?
Damn now I am breaking my "end of my contribution to this thread" statement.

I know racism is around and I have heard lots of ill educated people being abusive about other races when they are in a group discussing issues that they attribute to those races. However I have only seen really overt, in your face, shouting across the street, insulting racism in three places.

Germany
France
and Spain

All by middle class, seemly educated people, not the thugs or skinheads that you know are too dim to string thoughts about real reasons for community problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.