British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Confused.. Why Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/confused-why-canada-491493/)

Lychee Nov 6th 2007 8:30 pm

Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 5520052)
As I mentioned earlier, Toronto is one of the safer Canadian cities. Places like Edmonton and Regina are more crime ridden. And Vancouver, well, just today CBC was reporting that there appears to be a gang war developing in the city and it is going to get worse.

Have you ever lived in any other part of Canada, other than Toronto?

AdrianTO Nov 6th 2007 8:33 pm

I have met others here from Europe, not specifically the UK, but other countries, and there primary reason for moving here was economic. Not one of them said that they moved here because of the better lifestyle. Each one of them hates the N American lifestyle with a passion. Why are they here? Because they can't make the same kind of money back home.

I dated a Czech girl for a while and she had a completely negative view of Canada. The people were rude, everything was so far away, you couldn't just walk everywhere, she felt isolated with out a car, people didn't enjoy life and kept to themselves, the food sucked, people were fat.. etc... etc. These were her observations, not mine. Now, I didn't necessarily agree on all those points. But, all she wanted to do was make enough money to have her house built in the Czech Republic and go back.

AdrianTO Nov 6th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5520124)

What is the point of this thread? To discourage people from coming to canada on the off chance they are caught up in a drive by shooting? .

No, my point was to find out why people wanted to move to Canada. But, the reasons I got appeared to be quite removed from reality. I think Canada and even Toronto are not bad places to live. Many people love living here. But, there are problems. The same ones people say they are running away from.

iaink Nov 6th 2007 8:40 pm

I can make the same sort of money in absolute terms back in the UK, but it doesnt buy shit there.

However, I am categorically here for the more relaxed lifestyle. I dont need the UKs drinking culture, I dont need the class system, I dont need the net curtain twitching, i dont need to keep up with the Jonses, I dont need the casual violence and tollerated petty crime.

The czech girl makes many valid points about canada/ US life, but they are not secrets (not sure about rudeness, although in Toronto she probably has a point), most people make the move with their eyes open. Frankly I see little point in moving from say London to the GTA, many of the same social problems and overcrowding and expense issues are present in both, but moving from small town UK to small town Canada will almost certainly result in a step up in terms of housing affordability and exposure to petty crime and loutishness for starters.

AdrianTO Nov 6th 2007 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5520133)
What's lost is intangible, what's gained is a bigger house with white neighbours.

I think maybe you have just said what many people have avoided saying for fear of being politically incorrect.

But, even that is a fallacy. Unless you really move out to the boonies, the dream of being surrounded by only white people will be one that will not be fulfilled.

lauder99 Nov 6th 2007 8:40 pm

I can't argue with that but emigrants from the UK have their equity to keep them safe. The whole merit of moving to Canada is that relatively low property values mean a step up in social class. What's lost is intangible, what's gained is a bigger house with white neighbours.
On some levels I'm ashamed to admit it but that's probably an extremely accurate summation of my feelings on the matter.

Cheers

Tom

Steve_P Nov 6th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 5520093)

Toronto is by no means a crime ridden city.

But according to your vast knowledge of Canada as a whole Edmonton, Regina and Vancouver are?

Danny B Nov 6th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 5520219)
I think maybe you have just said what many people have avoided saying for fear of being politically incorrect.

But, even that is a fallacy. Unless you really move out to the boonies, the dream of being surrounded by only white people will be one that will not be fulfilled.

You don't have to move to the boonies, I have been living in Kamloops since July and have not yet seen a black person! :ohmy:

bazzz Nov 6th 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 5520482)
You don't have to move to the boonies, I have been living in Kamloops since July and have not yet seen a black person! :ohmy:

I've only seen a handful in Vancouver.

Whilst being in a "white" neighbourhood might seem more desirable in England, it's probably less of an issue in Canada as there seems, to me at least, to be less resentment of immigrants. And in turn the immigrants seem to feel less antipathy towards the unhyphenated Canadians.

Having said that, the lower cost of accommodation means I spend most of my time in the "nice" parts of town (downtown, West End, Kits) and I do work at a University. So I could be well insulated against "reality". Suits me. I had plenty of reality living in Walthamstow and Tooting.

AdrianTO Nov 6th 2007 9:37 pm

I have been living in Kamloops since July and have not yet seen a black person! :ohmy:

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 5520513)
I've only seen a handful in Vancouver.

OK, what about Chinese, E Indian, Tamils??

Are you looking for "white neighbours"? Or "non-black" neighbours?

AdrianTO Nov 6th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 5520387)
But according to your vast knowledge of Canada as a whole Edmonton, Regina and Vancouver are?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto.../to-crime.html

Greater Toronto had 5,020 criminal code offences in 2006 for every 100,000 people. Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton recorded more than twice as many.

"Toronto is actually one of the safest communities in Canada," University of Ottawa criminologist Ron Melchers told CBC News.

Contrary to popular belief, smaller cities in Western Canada have more crimes per capita, with Regina claiming the dubious distinction as Canada's crime capital.

lauder99 Nov 6th 2007 9:42 pm

I can only speak for myself but neither, its just happens to be a by product of the improvement of my social standing provided by the equity of my UK property.

R I C H Nov 6th 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 5520573)
OK, what about Chinese, E Indian, Tamils??

Kamloops has a handful of the above, but I can't say that the colour of my neighbour's skin had any bearing whatsoever on where I chose to live. That was just purely incidental.

Without racial diversity I'd miss out on all sorts of cultural elements, whether that means less choice of food in the local grocery store, a lack of 'foreign' restaurants or whatever. I'd agree with bazzz that racial integration here (IME) is far better and less conflicting than in the UK.

dbd33 Nov 6th 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianTO (Post 5520219)

It was really just in reference to gangs. Gang members tend not to be white.

dbd33 Nov 6th 2007 10:13 pm

Ahem. I think we're out there but Kamloops? I had to fetch an atlas.