Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by Danny B
Maybe that's the problem with Britain at the moment. If you are a second generation East Indian ie- your parents moved from India to the UK and you were born in the UK then you are classed as being Indian until the day you die.
The same scenario in Canada and you would be Canadian..
Indian-Canadian.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indian-Canadian.
Indo-Canadian.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Ah yes. Hyphenated, anyway.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

AdrianTO

In post #74 I told you about my history in London and the way it had changed for me.

I also mentioned that my tiny 2 bed flat (appartment over here) is worth 250K GBP, or just over.

In post #100 I gave an example of average salaries and how that effects what you can buy. Not much in London.

In post #198 I stated 'What good is it to live in a place that is full of life, when you cannot join in.'

So you think I have made some bad decisions, well yes, in my case your right, in 1988 I threw everything I had into the most expensive property I could afford. Then Maggie helped me lose everything and much much more.

This means I have the thrill of paying a mortgage right up to my retirement. If I sold my tiny flat most of it would go to the bank.

West Ealing is one of the run down areas of Ealing, 250K will not buy a house, it will buy a flat, a pretty small one at that.

To get a decent property you would have to be earning 150K GBP ($300K) a year and then probably need a nice lump sum to put down.

To get a small 2 bed flat you would need to earn 80K GBP ($160K) a year.

A good office job could see you earn 25K, engineering 35K, thats 20K short combined to get the above for a small 2 bed flat.

The mortgage payment on that would then be approx 1200 GBP a month plus about 300 GBP in insurances, thats about $3000 a month.

If you can afford that and still be able to go out and take advantage of the great nightlife then you are a top earner and very lucky. The average joe does not earn that. Teachers and nurses etc will not get that.

Yes, some people who bought 20 odd years ago and seen their property price rise, yes they are lucky indeed.

I'm just looking forward to being able to buy and survive in one wage.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:23 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
Tell you what Adrian, if we just say "Ok, you're right", will you just shut up?
Hey, great idea.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Earlier posters claim that I know "rich people", very few people can afford those lifestyles and these people are the exception, now you are telling me the opposite, that they live in horrible, seedy areas where nobody would want to live.

Which one is it?

And if your house is 500,000 pounds, you could sell it and afford a pretty nice place somewhere away from London, even a nice villa somewhere in Europe. Why do you have to come to Canada for a change in your lifestyle?
Dear Adrian,

When are you leaving? And could you possibly choose a place in Spain that only has very slow internet access, or preferably none at all?. Please.

Leb' wohl.

Novo.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:42 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has got more views and replies than the one for remembrance - something wrong here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492619
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
This thread has got more views and replies than the one for remembrance - something wrong here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492619
Yeah but this thread had a 5 day head start.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what Adrian, if we just say "Ok, you're right", will you just shut up?
Bazz - I agree with your comment to Adrian.

However could you please explain why it is acceptable for you to suggest that Adrian "shuts up" ? I made the same suggestion to you in the "Please Remember" thread and you accused me of being abusive

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:31 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Bazz - I agree with your comment to Adrian.

However could you please explain why it is acceptable for you to suggest that Adrian "shuts up" ? I made the same suggestion to you in the "Please Remember" thread and you accused me of being abusive

Jo
I'm had a number of sensible and valid points. He's just being a dick.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm had a number of sensible and valid points. He's just being a dick.
I don't understand your first sentence but agree with the second!

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Nov 11th 2007 at 5:45 am.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Here, I still commute to the city centre to work, the journey time being broadly equivalent to my Chiswick commute. But rather than dealing with South West Trains, standing 90% of the time in both directions, I take the GO - a guaranteed seat in the morning as my train starts from my station, and a 90%+ hit-rate for a seat on the way home.
You live the lifestyle of the typical Toronto commuter. If you are happy with that and it works for you that is great.

BTW, have they increased the frequency of the GO trains somewhat? I remember when I used to work downtown, my co-workers used to be running frantically to catch the "last train" or whatever which was at something like 7PM. If they missed it, they were well and truly stuck.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
Bazz didn't specify which of your friends are 'rich', but your post suggests your cousin is comfortably well off (single income household large enough to support a relatively pricey house and family). Doesn't change the fact his expensive home's in a grotty area.
Honestly, I have not been to my cousin's house. But, before he moved there he owned a house in Windsor. I visited him there and it was not exactly a "grotty area" by any stretch of the imagination. He got on the house marketing in 2000. I doubt he decided to take a step down where ever he decided to move in Datchet.

My point in bringing up his example is that he moved there with no ties, started working there and has settled himself down in a house with some pretty nice equity. Something that many posters here are claiming is impossible in the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, great idea.
So, you have taken to quoting your own posts and talking to yourself now? You must be getting desperate for some attention.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skiboy10
I don't understand your first sentence but agree with the second!

Why don't you two love birds get a room?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.