Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
OK, what about Chinese, E Indian, Tamils??

Are you looking for "white neighbours"? Or "non-black" neighbours?
I'm not looking for any type of neighbour, we are probably the odd ones out in my street because we my Wife is non white and we have mixed race children.

I've seen a few Chinese & Indians, but only ever in their restaurants!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:34 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ahem. I think we're out there but Kamloops? I had to fetch an atlas.
Yeah, we are number 37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:54 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

It was really just in reference to gangs. Gang members tend not to be white.
So the Hell's Angels are just motorcycle enthusiasts?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
So the Hell's Angels are just motorcycle enthusiasts?

They're a gang, and a gang that's very active in Toronto and area. Still that's one gang, the major ones here are associates of the Crips and Bloods, the Tamil Tigers and Asian (Asian in the American sense) ones. Proportionally gang members tend to be non-white.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Less people than Guelph? Come on, I daresay Kamloops is a lovely place and world famous in BC but it's hardly a major metropolis. I happen to know that a frequent poster who lives there drives a John Deere.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:20 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to know that a frequent poster who lives there drives a John Deere.
The bucket takes 2 slabs of beer (plus a bottle of sweet sherry for her indoors), a hammock and 2 cool boxes before it's anywhere near full. Three point hitch provides adequate power to haul a moose carcass home. Gun rack on the roll-over bar and we're all set for a romantic weekend away.

Green is the new bling, innit.

Don't lower your rims, calcium chloride them.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I thought you were in a Vancouver suburb or something, but a town with around 90,000, come on, you are in the boonies..
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not looking for any type of neighbour, we are probably the odd ones out in my street because we my Wife is non white and we have mixed race children.

I've seen a few Chinese & Indians, but only ever in their restaurants!

I personally dont think that the colour of skin is the issue.
We live within a large Metropolitan Council - Bradford; apparently the fourth largest in the UK. Social unease, racial tension and yob culture are the issues forcing us to emigrate.

We are taking with us 5 sons; 20,17,16,5,3.
I leave behind my eldest of 24, who is still at Uni. Even after he has finished his degree and got a job, he jointly with his girlfriend will be unable to buy a house even in the more deprived areas of Bradford.
YOB culture is on our doorstep, battling to keep teenage boys away from chav influences.

As to racial tension, I would imagine most people are aware of the Bradford Riots; though no longer at that boiling, Bradford and Keighley face many issues that are not resolved by so called multi-culturalism, as this only works where there is integration.
I have withheld my 5 yr old from school, where the intake of immigrants (Asian and Eastern European) is over 87%; putting my son in a minority group, English being the second language for the majority.

Two weeks ago on a night out with two other couples, average age 39, in an over 21 wine bar. My husband was jostled to the ground and repeatedly kick by THREE lads, early twenties. Apparently they are know for this type of behavior and have just come off Pub Watch.
Worse than that, we actually know their parents and them when they were younger!
My husband is a bricklayer, so by no means an easy target, one of the other men was a firefighter. In no way did we do anything to elicit this attention and I quite honestly was terrified.
The yobs in question ran off when bouncers arrived!
This was to be our last night out with our friends prior to leaving for Canada!!

What is exceptionally unsettling is that we live in what is considered to be one of the better outlying villages!
The change for us cannot come too soon and I have absolutely no intension of returning to the UK to live.
As a matter of note, we also considered, Scotland, Cornwall, France,
Spain,Tenerife and Australia before choosing Canada!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

That last post made me chuckle. Has there ever been a time when living in Bradford was more attractive than trying one's luck in the colonies?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
No, my point was to find out why people wanted to move to Canada. But, the reasons I got appeared to be quite removed from reality. I think Canada and even Toronto are not bad places to live. Many people love living here. But, there are problems. The same ones people say they are running away from.
If I'm being referenced in that, I've lived 2 of the last 4 years in the life I want in Toronto, how many have you lived of my experience here recently?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

That last post made me chuckle. Has there ever been a time when living in Bradford was more attractive than trying one's luck in the colonies?

No I guess Bradford has never been a brillian option; but the outlying villages have had some aspects - but these now are so small we just have to get out!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

One of our teachers at college was rambling on about her Yorkshire mother and how she never understood her until they walked together on the moors. "The isolation, the need to be alone" .. How very Wuthering Heights I thought , and asked which part of Yorkshire she was from. . Bradford. I doubt she would have been up on the moors much!
Hey ho
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:03 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

$CDN heading towards $1.90 to the pound, U.K Real Estate is tottering on the edge, about to follow U.S example as all the highly leveraged loans come due.

PERFECT is a subjective term, but generations to come will appreciate living in Canada much more than other areas.

Global warming, London could be under 6 feet of water, half the U.K could be submerged, floods of people fleeing the Dust bowls of Africa.

I LOVE LONDON, but only because I can stay in the nice areas, don't have to commute to work, don't have to try to make a living, don't get looked down on because I have the wrong accent, and so on.

Obstacles are the things you see when you take your eyes off the opportunities.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:20 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manghams
issues that are not resolved by so called multi-culturalism, as this only works where there is integration.
You probably realise this as it's been mentioned a number of times before, but Canada has an official policy of multiculturalism and immigrants are not expected to "integrate" with anyone.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bazzz
You probably realise this as it's been mentioned a number of times before, but Canada has an official policy of multiculturalism and immigrants are not expected to "integrate" with anyone.

Thats the appeal of Canada; the acceptance of differnce without prejudice.
Bradfords idea of multiculturalism is bussing kids accross the city to even out numbers.
I will be an immigrant in Canada, and expect to fully embrace all that Canada has to offer, especially for my boys.
As I understand it, the tension within Canada apply to attitudes towards the First Nations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.