Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by YYZlover

Drug use is up. Weed is a class C drug and it's widely spread in the youth. 15 y/o kids and younger are using drugs of all sorts. Ketamine, weed, cocain, speed and so on. I've never encountered as many drug users as I did while living in UK and I'm in the music business.
Yep. no one uses weed in Canada. Or grows it in the basement, or in the woods behind my house
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Yep. no one uses weed in Canada. Or grows it in the basement, or in the woods behind my house
I didn't say that. Drugs are everywhere but as I said , never seen so much of it as when living in UK.

Love your signature
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Much of what you say I agree with, but these two comments stretch the truth somewhat.

'Appalling' is way too strong a term to apply to the general standard of living in the UK - perhaps in the major cities if you're not loaded then life's not likely to be a bed of roses, but I don't think you need to be particularly wealthy to have a comfortable existance in many parts of the UK.

The second comment is silly - somewhere like Ludlow (pop. 10,000) has 7 entries in the Michelin Guide, and there are countless good places to eat outside of the capital.
Well, maybe I was exaggerating that issue somewhat but The New Mayflower on Shaftesbury is greatly missed.

Thing is - I like pub food.

YYZ
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Every one of this things is becoming an issue here. You talk longingly about Scarborough and Etobicoke, yet those two areas are the biggest dumps and worst areas of town to live in and send children to school.

Yes, it could be that YOUR town is having particular troubles. There are many reasons why a particular town or region of a country could be in decline. It could be because the primary employer has shut down or because of a shifting economy. This does not mean that the country as a whole is in decline. Further, while there are many families in the UK that might be feeling "recessionary", it appear that the UK as a whole is prospering like never before.

Not ALL of the UK is a crime infested, rat hole which is what you seem to be implying. I am sure you can find a better standard of living and quality of life in other parts of the country.
Odd, I don't recall talking longingly of those places, merely that they'e not as bad as they're made out to be and that a lot of the issues are self-contained. I certainly won't be living in them as I have my heart set on being downtown, take that any way you like, whether it be me saying those areas are too bad to live in or that I just want to live downtown as has been my ambition since I left.

I'm well aware that different areas have different reasons for the way they are, that's just common sense but I'm not in my hometown, I'm in Hampshire and it's getting as bad everywhere over here, be it my experiences here, contact with friends elsewhere or the news.

You can say what you like but the fact is in the past 4 years I've lived in Toronto twice and in a few different places in the UK due to work permit issues and so on and it's a lot better in Toronto. Unlike what appears to be your situation, I can't just move to the nicer parts. The class barrier and trying to get on the housing ladder are almost insurmountable as everyone has told you and the salaries aren't rising in the same manner to compensate for this. I'll arrive in Canada at 26 with just over enough to cover the settlement funds but it'll take me a lot further there than it ever could here because I've managed to live better on less over there, even as recently as January this year
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:36 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Confused.. Why Canada?
To get away from this type of person, and his future children..
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8f4_1184449943
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:36 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Good heavens. Aren't the lower orders appalling!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
To get away from this type of person, and his future children..
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8f4_1184449943
You might find these guys more to your liking:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_v1Py1czppg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8PoyZimbfZY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i6bfu5PAs1g

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...0bb925af&k=182
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Every city everywhere in the word has bad areas. Even the little town of 18k inhabitants I'm in now. The only way to get away from them is to be rich enough to live in a gated community.

Chavs/thugs are everywhere.

However, in North America the chavs/thugs tend to stay in their own area, wereas in UK they are everywhere.

And the only reason they exist is due to bad parenting.

YYZ
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Hampshire rose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I warn you my friend, this is not a good day to mention Newcastle United to me.

< Toon 1 - 4 bleeding Portsmouth>
YEAH!

Pompey rock!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hampshire rose

Pompey rock!
You're as confused as the OP. It's Edinburgh Rock and Pompey Suck.

(Although they're doing damn well this year, I'll give you that )
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
However, in North America the chavs/thugs tend to stay in their own area, wereas in UK they are everywhere.
Even inside your gated community? Do they scale the walls? Catapult rotting sheep over? That's the sort of rich history one misses over here.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hampshire rose
YEAH!

Pompey rock!
Hey, there's another one! I thought I was all alone... Not that I'm a very loyal supporter - I think I last visited Fratton Park almost 20 years ago - but still, the Chimes ring in my ears if only to annoy Novo
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Hey, there's another one! I thought I was all alone... Not that I'm a very loyal supporter - I think I last visited Fratton Park almost 20 years ago - but still, the Chimes ring in my ears if only to annoy Novo
What's this? Pick on the Geordies Week? I'll be off to the UN Human Rights Commission with all your names if this doesn't stop.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I actually came to this site looking for information about living in Spain or Italy.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, and I am trying to get out of here. But, I see a lot of people wanting to come here.

I spent the last winter around the Costa del Sol. And the lifestyle is so much better. People are more relaxed, they enjoy their leisure. Spend time with family and friends.

Here people live a commuter lifestyle, not much different from the UK. In fact, people have less vacation time here. And even then, a lot of people don't take all their vacation because of work commitments. They spend hours a week commuting. Everybody I know here doesn't have a life.

So, I am amazed that so many people are going through so much trouble to move here.

Why? What am I missing? Why Canada?
I think the question should by Why T.O?
But i think i would choose the Costa del Sol over most places. Hardly a fair comparison...also what are you gonna do for work?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What's this? Pick on the Geordies Week? I'll be off to the UN Human Rights Commission with all your names if this doesn't stop.

Ah canny lad, divvent fret.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.