Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by bazzz
I can see you're new around here. Telling everyone how to behave on a forum the day you signed up is tantamount to walking into a pub and telling everyone they're a bunch of cnuts.
Not everyone, just one disruptive member. He doesn't seem to have been around here for too long himself. His comments added nothing to the discussion, in fact it appeared as though he was making an active effort to disrupt it.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:48 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Lest we upset Adrian anymore, I am in the chat room if anyone wants some idle chit chat.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
I don't know don't watch it sat in chat room with no one to talk to. Sad git.

Watch out your going to get in trouble for for hihacking this thread.
I'm such a wee Sh*t stirrer!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:50 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I'm such a wee Sh*t stirrer!
I know, you're gonna get in ta trouble for that.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Not everyone, just one disruptive member. He doesn't seem to have been around here for too long himself. His comments added nothing to the discussion, in fact it appeared as though he was making an active effort to disrupt it.
You are killing me....
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

True enough, but the daily grind of living in London nowadays unless you've got a lot of money behind you is pretty depressing.
Yes, but then that brings me back to my original question. If it is all the same, why move to Canada?

A lot of people are suggesting B.C etc is better, Toronto is not Canada etc. ok, accepted.

But, then why not apply the same thing to the UK. Why not move out somewhere to the coast? Cornwall? Kent? There are some stunning areas and beautiful historic towns. The likes of which you will never find here. I am sure you can find less crowded towns, lower crime, etc. in many of the smaller towns and cities in the UK. Or for that matter the Continent.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:57 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

But, then why not apply the same thing to the UK. Why not move out somewhere to the coast? Cornwall? Kent? There are some stunning areas and beautiful historic towns. The likes of which you will never find here. I am sure you can find less crowded towns, lower crime, etc. in many of the smaller towns and cities in the UK. Or for that matter the Continent.
Personally, I was just glad to get away from English people as a lot of them seem to be small-minded bigots. Read something like this:

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

it's a collection of vents from people from the "Have Your Say" section of the BBC web site. It's depressing. While I'm sure there are similar people in Canada, in general, in my experience, people are a lot more open minded and civilised here.

Cornwall - widespread poverty, no jobs, and largely populated by white, backward hicks. The only non-white person you'll see runs the local Indian/Chinese restaurant and they'll be subjected to plenty of racist abuse. I lived there for nine years.

Kent - just part of greater London really. House prices are out of the league of anyone who didn't buy in the past 15 years.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

But, then why not apply the same thing to the UK. Why not move out somewhere to the coast? Cornwall? Kent? There are some stunning areas and beautiful historic towns.
And no jobs that will pay for a huge mortgage on a house that would have cost 20% of the price a few years ago.

As someone pointed out, London has vastly deteriorated since you lived there, and the rot has spread out across the rest of the country; both through the spread of crime, and the spread of rich Londoners buying up 'second homes' in the country and pricing out the local people. Fifteen years ago my sister and her husband could buy a three-bed house on one retail salary in their rural town, today you'd need a couple both working in very good jobs for that area to do the same, because so many houses are being bought up by 'investors' from outside the area. Similarly, at that time I'd walk almost anywhere in the town at any time of night; now I wouldn't go near the center late after dark.

I can't vouch for Canada in general, but right now I have a better standard of living with my girlfriend on one salary than we'd have had with two where I lived in Britain.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Personally, I was just glad to get away from English people as a lot of them seem to be small-minded bigots.
Well, if that is your intent, then sure I guess you don't have a choice but to leave! I lived in London, so I didn't necessarily see the level of bigotry you mention.

How mainstream are these views?

Kent - just part of greater London really. House prices are out of the league of anyone who didn't buy in the past 15 years.
Well, to be honest, if you are coming over from the UK with your pounds, then the housing in Canada seems like a bargain. But, for many, many people here they feel the same way about housing prices in the big cities.

You are in Vancouver, the most expensive housing market in Canada. Even if I wanted to move to Vancouver, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to get on the property market there with anything half decent.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:15 am

Well, if that is your intent, then sure I guess you don't have a choice but to leave! I lived in London, so I didn't necessarily see the level of bigotry you mention.

How mainstream are these views?
Oh, it's there alright. Depressingly even second generation immigrants jump on the "bloody Poles, coming over here stealing our jobs" bandwagon.

Well, to be honest, if you are coming over from the UK with your pounds, then the housing in Canada seems like a bargain.
This is a prime motivation for a lot of people. You can sell your small house in England and elevate yourself to an entirely different social class in Canada.

You are in Vancouver, the most expensive housing market in Canada. Even if I wanted to move to Vancouver, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to get on the property market there with anything half decent.
You don't have to buy a property to enjoy living somewhere. We're renting a condo in an infinitely nicer part of town then we could ever have hoped to in London - and that's despite earning 30-40% less (depending on the exchange rate you choose to use).

Last edited by bazzz; Nov 4th 2007 at 1:20 am.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to be honest, if you are coming over from the UK with your pounds, then the housing in Canada seems like a bargain. But, for many, many people here they feel the same way about housing prices in the big cities.
Sure. The difference is that there's essentially _nowhere_ in Britain anymore that you can find a decently-priced house that you would want to live in, whereas there are still plenty of places outside of big cities in Canada where you can do so.

You talked about paying $300,000 for an apartment in Toronto, but I've seen _public toilets_ advertised for almost that price in the UK... obviously someone is desperate enough to buy them and turn them into a place to live.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
I can't vouch for Canada in general, but right now I have a better standard of living with my girlfriend on one salary than we'd have had with two where I lived in Britain.
What criteria do you use to judge your standard of living? Do you have a bigger house? Bigger car? Do you eat out more?

I can tell you that in Toronto, you are talking about two salaries to make ends meet. And I am quite sure that in Vancouver it is the same.

Do people have bigger houses here? Sure. But, how much time do they spend in them? From what I have seen of my friends, not much at all. They are either at work or going to or coming from work. I never see them, except for weekends. Nobody just goes out for a beer to the corner pub. They barely take any vacation time. I just think people coming here are exchanging one rat race for another. It is not better, it is just different.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:25 am

What criteria do you use to judge your standard of living? Do you have a bigger house? Bigger car? Do you eat out more?

I can tell you that in Toronto, you are talking about two salaries to make ends meet. And I am quite sure that in Vancouver it is the same.

Do people have bigger houses here? Sure. But, how much time do they spend in them? From what I have seen of my friends, not much at all. They are either at work or going to or coming from work. I never see them, except for weekends. Nobody just goes out for a beer to the corner pub. They barely take any vacation time. I just think people coming here are exchanging one rat race for another. It is not better, it is just different.
Once again, your comparisons aren't relevant to most people here. Most people aren't leaving the UK to go to a high-pressure job in Toronto.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Once again, your comparisons aren't relevant to most people here. Most people aren't leaving the UK to go to a high-pressure job in Toronto.
OK. so then let us get back to my original question. Why Canada, versus some of the many places in Europe. Portugal, Spain, Italy, France etc.. etc..

Better weather, closer to the UK to visit family, no visa complications..
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess if you look at a lot of recent surveys , many of the best cities in the world to live in our in Canada. vancouver has repeatdly been in the top 3 cities of the world to live in for many years.
In my opinion as a rule of thumb , the standard of living in canada is quite a lot more higher than in London for the average person.
One thing I have defenitely notices if you ask the common English person what they think of England they will stay shithole, if you ask an avergae canadian they will say awesome here in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.