Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

:confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

:confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:12 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all
Red face Re: :confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

Well, even if you might think so, Harry is not me. I will agree with some of the points you made and I think this has spun into a rather interesting thread. I am in a simialr situation, I have a partner in Canada and I have been offered a job at much less than I am makig here in the UK, but I also already accept it

To me it was more important to end a three year long, long distance relationship than it was to keep the same amount of money I have made here in the UK. I have moved countries four times in my short life and I always bounced back from the pay cut you take. Money is not that important after all.

I like wine, just like Harry does, but wine is something my family can bring me now and then when they visit. I like opera and theater as well, but as mentioned if something is really that special I would simply fly to New York for the experience once in a while.

For me this change is about starting a life together in a country that has so much growth opportunity and for me this is also about realising new potential and reinventing myself.

Harry is taking a very rational view and in a way relationships have a rational component as well. I am taking a more romantic poit of view.

I would think that every country has its own culture and I am sure that Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Ottowa, Calgary and so on have their very own local hot spots. Museums and Art sessions, I am sure they can be found.

Once more, Thank you and do share your ideas.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:16 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: :confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

Originally Posted by retsujou
For me this change is about starting a life together in a country that has so much growth opportunity and for me this is also about realising new potential and reinventing myself.
Now that, my friend, is very cool. and the path to true happyness and self discovery.

R.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:17 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh I'm not so sure. The President of a company we do business with (who is from Ontario) expresses a fondness for Chianti which initself is lamentable but not impossible to live with. His philosophy of 'only drinking wine from vinyards I've visited in Italy' seemed to take pretentiousness to a whole new level in my eyes.
Pukes at the thought of the dull urbanite noveau riche brigade.

R.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm not so sure. The President of a company we do business with (who is from Ontario) expresses a fondness for Chianti which initself is lamentable but not impossible to live with. His philosophy of 'only drinking wine from vinyards I've visited in Italy' seemed to take pretentiousness to a whole new level in my eyes.

I've met pretentious winesnobs on the Rock too. To reference the discussion on 'class' in Canada, they seem to be the noveau riche or the old merchant money here. Naturally the latter look down on the former!
ah yes, but my point was that nobody else will care. dbd made the same point about parking your Bentley in Mississauga, or whatever it was. It won't provoke the same sort of envy or covetousness that it would in London, I don't think.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
or even a Glyndebourne.
The simple act of you spelling that correctly condemns you to sit beside Harry.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 28th 2008 at 10:51 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Any way I cant remember of any opera on the radio when I was last in Alberta.
CBC Radio 2, every saturday afternoon.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I still cant remember of any opera on the radio - at no time did I say there was none!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:24 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I often read Rich's posts and shake my head.
It's Master Bates

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Now that, my friend, is very cool. and the path to true happiness and self discovery. R.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:29 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retsujou
Very good point, however Harry does love his Sally and that will means a Canadian needs to immigrate to the UK (well EU whatever).

I would guess you are all raising a very good point, it seems 120K (well 132K) is enough money live easily in the GTA (taking into account that Sally would bring home around 70K as well).

Harry just needs to hear some more encouraging words
Davey suggests Harry packs up now and flies over to the Big T to get in with Sally and enjoy the $120+ perks Dont forget to buy Ganong Chocolate.

Words of encouragement enough ?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:58 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Consider this.

In the UK the minimum wage is £5.73 an hour (currently C$11.69 at todays exchange rate.

In Ontario, the current minimum wage is C$8.75, which is about 75% of the UK minimum. Using this theory, I'd guess on accepting a pay rate in Ontario anything above 75% of the Canadian Dollar value of your UK wage.

£85,000.00 = C$173,357.53 CAD, x 0.75 = C$130,018.15

The starting salary you've been offered I'd consider very reasonable using my calculations.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:55 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

retsujou,

From reading many of the other posts you've made on here, it seems very clear that material possessions are extremely important to you. And not any old possessions, but the finest, the most luxurious, the most famous brands.

I think that a large part of your enjoyment of these things comes not simply from your possession of them, but from the fact that you know that other people know what they are. You like to see other people 'being impressed' by your things.

Most people would probably agree that Canada is not the ideal place to impress the locals with a bit of bling, or what car you're driving. I suggest you look at Dubai, that's probably right up your street. They've got money but no culture, so when they want it they just fly it in.

Dr. Jings.
Scout Badge - Psychology
Character Assassination by the hour.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:19 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
From reading many of the other posts you've made on here, it seems very clear that material possessions are extremely important to you. And not any old possessions, but the finest, the most luxurious, the most famous brands.
Possibly another ignorant sort. The type that come on here spewing out their so called "imaginary" earnings are a little tasteless, right.

Probably ever even swilled back a good mouthful of Lagavulin and tasted the sea and the spirit of peaty musty things, the fire and water and the tickle of aged alcohol on the throat. Brutes !!!

R.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Probably ever even swilled back a good mouthful of Lagavulin and tasted the sea and the spirit of peaty musty things, the fire and water and the tickle of aged alcohol on the throat. Brutes !!!
My other half drinks that stuff. Lagavulin if it's what there is. Peatier, boggier glasses of obscure stuff when possible. It's lost on me, we have Jameson, we have acres of mud, can we not just stir them together?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:21 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The simple act of you spelling that correctly condemns you to sit beside Harry.
Ha! So to what does the fact you know it's spelt correctly condemn you?

I never went to Glyndebourne, nor to the Royal Opera House. Couldn't be doing with all the peacocking that (I imagine) went on... if I go to an opera, it's the performance I want to see, not the audience. While living in London I went to the Coliseum a few times for the ENO, and to Dorset Opera, a pro-am getup that used to recruit members of the chorus from a choral society I belonged to. I've also sung in choral societies and concert choirs since I were a lad, performing all the usual oratorios and requiems, and some more unconventional repertoire, including a couple of premieres of new works.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:31 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ha! So to what does the fact you know it's spelt correctly condemn you?

I never went to Glyndebourne, nor to the Royal Opera House. Couldn't be doing with all the peacocking that (I imagine) went on... if I go to an opera, it's the performance I want to see, not the audience. While living in London I went to the Coliseum a few times for the ENO, and to Dorset Opera, a pro-am getup that used to recruit members of the chorus from a choral society I belonged to. I've also sung in choral societies and concert choirs since I were a lad, performing all the usual oratorios and requiems, and some more unconventional repertoire, including a couple of premieres of new works.
I did much the same thing, my school took me to Glyndebourne Opera house as it turned out i would be there myself singing around a year after in a 'new work' opera "Zoe" was it's name if i remember correctly just an attempt to get the youth of the world listening to opera.

Didn't really work for me although i do like the freddie mercury and monserrat cabielle album...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.