Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Conflicting minds with moving to Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Conflicting minds with moving to Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Old Mar 31st 2021, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conflicting minds with moving to Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Tumbling Dice tumbled the dice !! It's sound advice for the OP, but out of curiosity, why did you as a couple not do that ?
Aside from my love of the Rolling Stones, there is a reason my profile name is Tumbling Dice.

There is a long story behind it, with which I will bore nobody. All I will say is that it came out of the Retail Distribution Review in financial services. At this point, all UK banks got rid of their financial planners as they couldn't make their model work in the new fee based environment. I was fortunate to find a job with a local IFA firm, but it turned out I was hired by a nutter, and that only lasted a year. With IFA firms requiring large books of business, I couldn't see any future in my line of work. It was then that the wife suggested we could start again in Canada. and we just did it because, for no good reason, we thought it would represent a fresh start that would work out. It was a kneejerk, emotional reaction to fairly bleak immediate circumstances and it just snowballed from there. Eventually the reason became that the wife wanted to be closer to her ageing parents etc.

An utterly foolish idea, in summary, and I guess we got overtaken by emotion - she was excited to be near her parents and I was, I guess, worried about puncturing that particular balloon.

I have made peace with a lot of it and am fauirly convinced, with the current job I am doing, if I can get it rolling, I will be able to be relatively happy here. But the last few years have not been worth it, and I would encourage the OP, if they have any interest in making things successful, to take the advice of all posters on this thread very seriously.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 4:40 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice View Post
Aside from my love of the Rolling Stones, there is a reason my profile name is Tumbling Dice.

There is a long story behind it, with which I will bore nobody. All I will say is that it came out of the Retail Distribution Review in financial services. At this point, all UK banks got rid of their financial planners as they couldn't make their model work in the new fee based environment. I was fortunate to find a job with a local IFA firm, but it turned out I was hired by a nutter, and that only lasted a year. With IFA firms requiring large books of business, I couldn't see any future in my line of work. It was then that the wife suggested we could start again in Canada. and we just did it because, for no good reason, we thought it would represent a fresh start that would work out. It was a kneejerk, emotional reaction to fairly bleak immediate circumstances and it just snowballed from there. Eventually the reason became that the wife wanted to be closer to her ageing parents etc.

An utterly foolish idea, in summary, and I guess we got overtaken by emotion - she was excited to be near her parents and I was, I guess, worried about puncturing that particular balloon.

I have made peace with a lot of it and am fauirly convinced, with the current job I am doing, if I can get it rolling, I will be able to be relatively happy here. But the last few years have not been worth it, and I would encourage the OP, if they have any interest in making things successful, to take the advice of all posters on this thread very seriously.
Ah, well if there was already family in Canada that does change the calculus quite a bit. Good that things are on the up for you.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:37 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamieC92 View Post
Hi BE,

Just a post about how people (if anyone has) deal with other half in two minds about going and moving to Canada.

I am definitely 100% set on wanting to live in Canada as I feel it would be good for our family in the long run and enjoy a different culture out there.

My partner on the other likes the idea, but the thought of leaving family which she is close to and scared of just being alone out there is holding her back from agreeing.

It’s very hard as we have to small children.

Have anyone dealt with clashing issues and disagreements?
Originally Posted by DMajor View Post
From experience I would say that unless you are both 100% for the move then don't come.
A two year transition period has been suggested, that might work but it'll be a costly exercise if you have to return.
Originally Posted by bc2015 View Post
There's a few posters in this forum who had hesitant spouses before moving to Canada and, sadly, it never seems to work out.
As others have said don't do it unless you are both fully committed.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 12:31 am
Just Joined

XNAVY1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would respectfully suggest not to have a two year escape plan before you even get here.
This gives you the mind set every time it gets hard (and it will ) that you will just return.
It doesn’t give you a safety net as you may think - it just creates an escape plan.

Many motivational speakers in industry and sport will advise that you have to enter into life’s challenges with a positive mind
set. You can’t do that if you are constantly thinking if I fail I can just go back.

We have been here 11 years and even now occasionally look at wether we did the right thing as we left all our family behind.
But we only got through the tough times as we both wanted it - please do not do it if you are both not 100% behind it, and
of a mind to stay. It simply is setting you both up for stress and heart ache.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 12:41 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XNAVY1 View Post
I would respectfully suggest not to have a two year escape plan before you even get here.
This gives you the mind set every time it gets hard (and it will ) that you will just return.
It doesn’t give you a safety net as you may think - it just creates an escape plan.

Many motivational speakers in industry and sport will advise that you have to enter into life’s challenges with a positive mind
set. You can’t do that if you are constantly thinking if I fail I can just go back.

We have been here 11 years and even now occasionally look at wether we did the right thing as we left all our family behind.
But we only got through the tough times as we both wanted it - please do not do it if you are both not 100% behind it, and
of a mind to stay. It simply is setting you both up for stress and heart ache.