Conflicted

Old Jan 20th 2022, 2:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conflicted

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you're rather optimistic in regards to the political climate in Canada (even more so with regard to LA (Jon Voight, Clint Eastwood, Devin Nunes' Cow, the LAPD!) . Immigrants are accepted in Canada but not quite welcomed with the open arms the government would have you believe. Much of small town Canada is like Mississippi Burning on Ice.

The media is a different issue. The Toronto Star is where all those immigrants who haven't quite grasped the language work. It's unreadable, but only slightly worse than the Globe. The National Post is the paper of the frothing loons, like the Telegraph but without the wit and the football coverage. As far as I know, there's no quality source of news based in Canada though there are very good Canadian journalists such as Lise Doucette, Daniel Dale, and Emily Maitlis. One reads "papers" which have the major Canadian stories, if any, Guardian, NYT, Washington Post, Atlantic, New Yorker and so on. Local facebook groups are a good source for knowing which roads are open today and who still has a catalytic convertor attached their car.

I think people who want to hike or ski can do that wherever they live, it's a matter of budget priority. I have, for example, hiked in and around Bryce and the Grand Canyon many times. I didn't have to move to the four corners. I accept that one might find a mountain outside to be inspiring, probably not to your grandchildren though, if you live in such a place you'll be alone, they'll have moved to the city for their parents' work.
Er, Lise Doucette works for the BBC.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. so having read the initial post (Hi to ndonald1987) and and reading everyone else's posts, it seems everyone has just painted the "its not worth it, you will probably regret it, you can find all you want staying in the UK" well that may be true.... but we are all different, we all have very different circumstances and and no one looks for same thing from life. So.... maybe the poster is willing to take the leap of faith and try it.... an adventure, as long as they plan for the worst scenario, in that it didn't work or they didn't like it and being able to live with that decision, no one really knows if it is for them until they have done it. You may take a heavy finacial hit, depending on your level of commitment, but if you are young, its possible to make that back. I always like the phrase "regret what you have done, not what you haven't" However only the poster knows what's at stake and what they are risking.

Firstly I would say to the poster, like I have said to many others, the pull from Canada has to be bigger than the push from the UK. With me thats what it was, My life in the UK wasn't going as I had hoped, but I didnt hate it, but I knew there was more of life to be had, I chose Canada, (particulary Ontario for me) because of its extremes but also annual balanced climate, I love the outdoors and wanted to see what Canada had to offer in that way. I vacationed here in the non touristy places, tried to do the same things the locals did to get a real feel of what it was I was looking for. I have been here 13 years now, and don't have one ounce of regret.

Now... personal sitiuations differ, and mine was very different to that of the poster, I was single and only had myself to worry about, financially and emotionally with adjusting to the move, and I think this does make a difference with intergrating into a new culture as you put yourself out there more, which is so important in adapting, you will never do it locked away in your own world.

Some one made a post that Canada is all about material possessions and toys... yes it can be, but if that brings you happiness then whats wrong with that? I have the toys, it took a while but I was patient on my road to get them. I love the outdoors, my toys give me the opportunity to really appreciate what I love about Canada in that way, in every season. I have the boat and spend every weekend on it in the summer, when its 30deg its the best place to be! and I have never seen such beautiful scenary, and being anchored on the lake with the the sun setting, the call of the loon, and followed by a still summers night under the stars is divine, mosquitos are a pain, but you find ways of dealing with it, just like the locals do, I learnt my lesson the first summer! Its hot and sticky, but I find I am in air conditioning (work, car, stores, restaurants, or on the boat with a lake to cool off in, so I love the summers, I like to be able to plan events and have gauranteed weather. Winter... I go snowshoeing, down hill skiing and I have a snowmobile - some of the stunningly beautiful outdoor scenes I see whilst on the trails still take my breath away, and stopping off for a break you often see deer or even a moose! My toys make all this possible. There is so much to do here if your an outdoorsy person and a lifestyle I could never dream of living in the UK.

Now, mentioning the UK... do I miss it, oh yes, every now and then, something will trigger a little bit of homesickness, its a very different lifestyle here, and you have to be prepared to remember your old lifestyle fondly but leave that behind, and embrace what Canada will offer you. I miss a lot from the UK, the social scene is very different, the very way of life, even music, you have to get used to a whole new catalogue of music and usually your personal tastes will stay that way, as no one here will ever of heard of or enjoy your taste in music like you did with friends in the UK. that in itself can be a lonely feeling that has made me homesick form time to time. Being British I have never referred to myself as European before, but after living in Canada for 13 years I do now, I can see what chasm of difference between being European and North American, however I do feel that Canada is somewhere half way between the states and the UK, as both countries influence Canada and both have strong ties, another reason why I chose Canada.

As for politics, I have my staunch views, but never let it get in the way of a friendship, I have friends on both sides of the political spectrum, we agree to disagree, as there so much more to a friendship and a place to live than that. Thats what democracy is for, we vote a PM is elected and we accept it whether its what we wanted or not, of not, vote again next time. Just stick to the golden rule when in a pub....don't discuss politics religion Id also say music.... lol it such a different musical culture here.

So there we go, thats my view on moving from the UK to Canada and a life here of almost 13 years. its not perfect, but in the big picture, its as perfect as what I can expect. I try to think now what it would be like if I moved back to the UK, there would be a lot things I would welcome, but I know I would suffer reverse culture shock, and get homesick for Canada, which is something else to consider, many expats that chose to make the move for themselves not for a job or a partner, often end up feeling divided, you have to accept you will forever have two homes, you feel at home in both the UK and Canada, and get homesick for both.

Thats my experience anyway. I'd like to wish the best of luck to the poster in their research and what ever they decide to do.

Old Jan 20th 2022, 6:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Er, Lise Doucette works for the BBC.

As does Emily Maitlis. Daniel Dale is with CNN.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

The National Post is the paper of the frothing loons, like the Telegraph...
Opinion popular among frothing loons.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 5:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Opinion popular among frothing loons.

Yes, that's the market for their opinion pieces. The Telegraph is better written, both in the sense of using grammar and expressing an argument fully. However, if one wants the crazed rightist stance, the Spectator is better than either in that it has wit.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

GHinAB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I have lived in Alberta for 15 yrs now and my work takes me all over both AB and BC. My opinion is that the Okanagan would best tick all of your boxes you describe. Provided you are OK with property prices there, (which are not Vancouver crazy), I would recommend taking a look at a place called Summerland.