Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive reforms to the Citizenship Act

Comprehensive reforms to the Citizenship Act

Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comprehensive reforms to the Citizenship Act

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Who applies for citizenship? Why! PRs do. You said that the increase of 30% reported by CIC (link please?) was due to increased numbers of immigrants over the last years.

Not true. And those aren't my figures, they're CIC's.
But as PR's become citizens they fall off the list of PR's. So a small percentage increase in PR's does not tell us how many existing PR's convert to citizens and how many new PR's arrive.

For example, let's say we have 100,000 PR's one year. The next year let's say 30,000 of them become citizens and 32,000 new PR's arrive. Now we have 102,000 PR's. So it looks like we have only a 2% increase in PR's.

Let's say that the next year 40,000 become citizens and 42,000 new PR's arrive. Now we have a 33% increase in citizenship applications (from 30000 to 40000) but only a tiny increase in the number of PR's.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
But as PR's become citizens they fall off the list of PR's. So a small percentage increase in PR's does not tell us how many existing PR's convert to citizens and how many new PR's arrive.

For example, let's say we have 100,000 PR's one year. The next year let's say 30,000 of them become citizens and 32,000 new PR's arrive. Now we have 102,000 PR's. So it looks like we have only a 2% increase in PR's.

Let's say that the next year 40,000 become citizens and 42,000 new PR's arrive. Now we have a 33% increase in citizenship applications (from 30000 to 40000) but only a tiny increase in the number of PR's.
The CIC statistics, as I understand them, were not cumulative or net population figures, but rather the annual numbers of people being granted PR status.

Of course, as the people on here who know these things often mention, there are many ways of becoming a PR.

Unless you were born here, there's only one way of becoming a citizen.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The CIC statistics, as I understand them, were not cumulative or net population figures, but rather the annual numbers of people being granted PR status.
Even so, that wouldn't preclude the pool of existing PR's from pushing up the number of citizenship applications by a large amount from one year to the next. There is not necessarily a direct correlation between the number of new PR's and the number of citizenship applications over a short enough time span.

Of course, as the people on here who know these things often mention, there are many ways of becoming a PR.

Unless you were born here, there's only one way of becoming a citizen.
True for an adult who isn't already a Canadian citizen but I believe there are at least 3 ways of becoming a Canadian citizen without being born in Canada:

- By naturalization
- By descent
- By adoption
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think the point he's making is that the child would be Algerian by descent, but you would need documentation from the Algerian embassy to prove it, which you're not going to get, so the Australian govt. could say the child is Algerian under Algerian law but you can't prove it, ergo the child is stateless.
If you can show, based on reasonable evidence from a respected source, that the child isn't Algerian, then it is unlikely that this would be contested by the Australian authorities.

That's the whole problem with jus sanguis, proving the ancestry can be very difficult.
Not usually a problem when it only has to go back to a parent and is documented at an early stage. That's already the case for Canadian citizens by descent.

Many thousands of "Haitians" born in the Dominican Republic right now in that situation.
Apparently the situation in the DR is that they have retroactively annulled the DR citizenship of those born in the country. That's different to what has occurred in Australia, and may occur in Canada.

But it's Australia's fault they don't recognize birthright citizenship, which contradicts their stated intent and thus obligation under international law, namely the UN Convention on the reduction of statelessness. Although from the sounds of it they do give citizenship if the person is stateless, but you've got to prove that to Australian authorities, that's the rub.
The United Nations convention does not oblige Australia to grant Australian citizenship to everyone born on its territory. The intention is that everyone should have at least a citizenship, but not necessarily Australian citizenship. As for "proving" someone is stateless, the term "proof" is often used on forums when "reasonable evidence" more accurately reflects the expectation of the statute.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
The people who applied for citizenship in 2006 certainly didn't become PRs in 2006 though did they? As I already pointed out, they wouldn't have met the residence requirement. As such, you need to look at the number of Permanent Residents admitted in prior years, and your chart demonstrates the strong upward trend over the relevant time period.

The CBC news article is linked below. It also mentions some other factors which have increased wait times, which further refute the initial claim that wait times have grown due to political interference by Jason Kenney. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...list-1.1351005
Sorry, but the fact that the backlog has increased is solely due to Kenney et al.'s interference with the process, introducing more and more bureaucratic paper work for the applicants while decreasing the number of bureaucrats available to do their jobs.

They do this because of xenophobia among their political base.

The little quote in that article about the CIC is just a teensiest bit of flimflam.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Sorry, but the fact that the backlog has increased is solely due to Kenney et al.'s interference with the process, introducing more and more bureaucratic paper work for the applicants while decreasing the number of bureaucrats available to do their jobs.

They do this because of xenophobia among their political base.

The little quote in that article about the CIC is just a teensiest bit of flimflam.
You're not sorry at all. You'd just rather believe in conspiracy theories than facts.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

You're not sorry at all. You'd just rather believe in conspiracy theories than facts.
No, not true, but since I don't have the facts. Since this is your theory it's incumbent upon you to provide them. Good luck.

BTW I never mentioned conspiracy theory. Just reactionary politics. Must do better.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

No, not true, but since I don't have the facts. Since this is your theory it's incumbent upon you to provide them. Good luck.

BTW I never mentioned conspiracy theory. Just reactionary politics. Must do better.
I haven't espoused any theories - I simply reported information provided by CIC. A source, incidentally that you considered reliable enough to quote when you thought it supported your own prejudices, but then deemed unreliable when I provided further information quoted from the same source. As such, I see no point in wasting further time discussing the matter with you.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

I haven't espoused any theories - I simply reported information provided by CIC. A source, incidentally that you considered reliable enough to quote when you thought it supported your own prejudices, but then deemed unreliable when I provided further information quoted from the same source. As such, I see no point in wasting further time discussing the matter with you.
You cited a CBC article which (intentionally or otherwise) misinterpreted some figures stated (without a reference) to originate from CIC.

Let's look at those figures: it said that in 2007 there were 189,000 PR applications for citizenship pending and that the waiting time was 12-15 month. This implies that there were in the period an average of 15,750 applications per month (using 12 months, fewer if using 15).

Now there are 350,000 applications pending and the processing time is quote as 23 months: that's 15,200 new applicants per month.

i.e. the size of the backlog has nothing to do with the rate of applications.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 26th 2013 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You cited a CBC article which (intentionally or otherwise) misinterpreted some figures stated (without a reference) to originate from CIC.

Let's look at those figures: it said that in 2007 there were 189,000 PR applications for citizenship pending and that the waiting time was 12-15 month. This implies that there were in the period an average of 15,750 applications per month (using 12 months, fewer if using 15).

Now there are 350,000 applications pending and the processing time is quote as 23 months: that's 15,200 new applicants per month.

i.e. the size of the backlog has nothing to do with the rate of applications.
Based on the above it would appear that the size of the backlog has not changed either (adjusting for processing time)? Am I missing something here?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:06 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Shard
Based on the above it would appear that the size of the backlog has not changed either (adjusting for processing time)? Am I missing something here?
I don't think so. What one can conclude is that CIC is roughly half as efficient today as it was about 8 years ago.

I leave you to speculate how and why that has happened.