Comparing wages to cost of living

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

[QUOTE=carolyn_vdv;9636937]
Thanks Carolyn, good reply.
The real shame for me has been hearing from extended family for years how cheap Canada is, and how much better my life would be, only to actually go through the figures and find out we would be worse off! Makes you appreciate what you've got I guess. That was the whole point of starting this thread in the first place, to get to the truth (or as near as possible) before making costly mistakes. strange, had years of being told this and that, but spent about 1 month on here and found out all is definitely not what it seems. Really comes down to opportunites available to each and every individual, but also emmigrating is a costly business, life becomes relatively cheaper the longer you stay in one place as u get credit history etc. Guess its called putting down roots etc.

As I have kept telling family to no avail, that a huge factor in your lifestyle is your financial situation. I've been to California on holiday, absolutely loved it, but trying a homeless guy there how lucky he is to live in such a nice place!!

I ran these figures again factoring in $1000/month rent (wouldn't have to pay all this, but did it not including income from rent from my current house as a comparison), and on $71k I would be left with no disposable income after bills!!!

MMMmmmmm, I need a little chat with over excited relatives I guess....
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Marc, I think you are going about this in the right way. Anyone trying to sell you something will always give you the positive side of the story. Your situation will be unique to that of your relatives and making comparisons will not be comparing apples with apples. Whether they have always lived here or emigrated a number of years ago, the variables would have been different for them. For example, 10 years ago when we first started thinking about immigration the fx rate was $2.3:1 and the comparative cost of living relatively cheaper than it is now. Someone who moved at that time would have seen their money go a lot further than it might do now.

Try getting your relatives to consider the opposite i.e move to Wales and see what the reaction is to the cost of living etc and use the same arguement they are...