Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparative Education Assessments

Comparative Education Assessments

Old Sep 14th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Comparative Education Assessments

Hi,

I'm looking to apply for Government jobs in Canada (i'm a PR over here). However it's required, in order to apply, that you have your foreign credentials assessed by a specific body for Canadian equivalence to prove you have completed secondary education (GCSE and A-Level). These authorities are listed on CICIC.

If you have a degree it's straightforward, you get the paperwork submitted and you inherit everything lower than that (secondary education), however, I don't have a degree, I have 5 A-Levels. Each of the assessment boards will not accept original documents in your possession, they require certified copies sent directly to them from the UK exam boards plus transcripts. Now most of my A-levels are with different exam boards so this would seem to require me to order yet more copies of documents i already have from each one. That's a certificate and transcript from 4 different exam boards all to be sent to Canada plus the assessment fees, they specifically state UK requirements are certificates and transcripts although the bodies I look at don't send anything called a transcript, just a certificate of results which is what I already have. Either way it seems i'm looking at $600 or so to prove I completed secondary school. Has anyone had to do this and can clarify what was required exactly or the easiest way to do it and ideally anyone who accepts copies I already have. I'm going to miss the jobs closing dates anyway because this process will take months. I have wondered if I could just send results from one exam board, but then it would look like I only did one class in secondary school when I apply for the job.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparative Education Assessments

If I understand it correctly from other threads, it is a requirement that the Boards (or university/college) send the transcript/certificate directly to the assessment authority. Not that it is YOU who submits them ........ you have to ask the board or whoever, and give them the address and information required.

BTW, have you checked whether the government jobs require French??
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So this is purely for employment purposes - which is different to what is required for immigration purposes.

When you check the websites, look under 'general' rather than immigration. The requirements appear to be lower.
https://learn.utoronto.ca/internatio...-ces/apply-now
https://www.wes.org/ca/required-documents/
Transcripts only required for GCSE's/ALEVELs if less than 3 passes

I don't think any of them will assess just on the certificates that you hold I'm afraid.
Alternatively, could you attend the local college for assessment perhaps or find a GED certification program online..
Here's one I found https://www.ilc.org/en-ca/GED/about

Sorry not to be of more help I wish you well and hope you are successful in getting the job you want.

https://settlement.org/ontario/educa...or-employment/

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 15th 2018 at 1:37 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, they specifically ask for equivalency assessment but a GED may be sufficient so i'm going to look into that and try to find out the cost and if it's acceptable as it'd probably be cheaper and quicker.

French is not a requirement for all government jobs, there are 3 levels of requirement depending on the job, not required, required or willing to learn. As my french equivalency is "seriously rusty GCSE level that hasn't be used for 18 yearsl" i'm only looking at the jobs that don't require it.