Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Old May 23rd 2018, 6:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Calgary is a nice city, clean,lots to do now the snow has gone!
Until August when it comes back that is!
Old May 27th 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Care to share any examples? You can barely get a 40 year old 3bd townhouse for that money in the NW.
Happy to be of help.
https://alberta.brookfieldresidentia...ntation-centre
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

What does your husband do that he is going to earn 20-30k a year for 2 days a week? that would be 24 to 36 $ per hour...
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Frank Cullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samb29
We were looking NW but the prices were $400-500k for a 4 bed decent sizes house
Mist ex-pats move to either Cochrane Airdrie or Okotoks where housing is more affordable .... all 3 have great communities within Easy to commute downtown 👍 Id look to consider adapting your skills to the Oil & Gas Industry, where you may find more opportunities and better $$$ Good luck 👍
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank Cullen

Mist ex-pats move to either Cochrane Airdrie or Okotoks where housing is more affordable .... all 3 have great communities within Easy to commute downtown 👍 Id look to consider adapting your skills to the Oil & Gas Industry, where you may find more opportunities and better $$$ Good luck 👍
I would dispute that houses in Cochrane are more affordable than in Calgary, nor would I agree that all 3 have easy commutes to downtown. At the wrong time of day, I can't think of a worse commute than from Cochrane to downtown, or from downtown to Cochrane!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Frank Cullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would dispute that houses in Cochrane are more affordable than in Calgary, nor would I agree that all 3 have easy commutes to downtown. At the wrong time of day, I can't think of a worse commute than from Cochrane to downtown, or from downtown to Cochrane!
I’d disputed your comments, I live in Cochrane and both my wife and I commute Mon thru Fri to SE and NW houses cheaper than Calgary ... I have many friends who also live here Airdrie & Okotoks for same reasons 👍
Old Jun 12th 2018, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank Cullen

I’d disputed your comments, I live in Cochrane and both my wife and I commute Mon thru Fri to SE and NW houses cheaper than Calgary ... I have many friends who also live here Airdrie & Okotoks for same reasons 👍
I don't dispute that some houses in Cochrane are cheaper than some houses in Calgary and I accept that, generally speaking, houses are cheaper in Okotoks and Airdrie than in Calgary.

I also accept that travel to the NW of Calgary from Cochrane is relatively easy, but that is not what you previously said, and I have no idea how you can suggest that travelling from Cochrane to the SE of Calgary is "easy." I accept that making that trip when others are not is doable on a day to day basis, but it is not a trip that I would ever describe as "easy", even if it could be done via Stoney Trail.

Each to their own though.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 7:14 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

You couldn't pay me to do that commute. For a project I was managing, I had to commute to Cochrane from Downtown for a couple of months a while back. Even going the opposite way to traffic, it was a 1 hour drive each way.

We live 8 minutes drive from downtown... no way in hell could I trade that in for a 90 minute drive each way during rush hour.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly it's just personal preference. My parents lived in Cochrane and commuted to Calgary for 10 years or more and they loved it. They only moved back to Ontario because of my elderly Grandmother. My aunt and uncle live in Airdrie and commute to Calgary. They've done that for their whole lives and they love it too. It's just down to personal preference whether you prefer to live in a city with no commute or in a village and commute in. If the latter, I agree Cochrane and Airdrie are both lovely places.

Back to the original question though, Samb29, I would think you'd be okay on $70,000 with your husband topping that up with part-time. I don't live in Canada at the moment, but my parents and sister live there and they've been advising me on salary expectations. I make similar to what you said here in the UK and the target they told me to look for there is $70,000-80,000. I would say this: consider that it's your starting wage so would go up. If, once you got settled, you found it wasn't enough compared to what you are used to, you could always push for a raise once they know you better, or look around for something else using the networks that you'll have made. Or if it's an option, your husband could potentially take on more hours when the kids get older maybe? From what I understand, it's a good wage, not super high like some IT jobs, but also not low, ($50,000-$60,000 is a normal wage for many jobs so $70,000 is good - on the upper end of normal, if I understand it correctly), and you would have room to increase it in other ways in the future, so it seems a decent starting point. The reason I'm posting here is because when I saw your post about having a decent offer and not knowing whether to take it, it reminded me of what happened to me recently. I interviewed for a really interesting job that I would have loved, in a really beautiful place that I would have loved, and I turned it down because they wouldn't come up to the amount I wanted. And it was that magic $70,000 that they wouldn't come up to. Ever since then I've been kicking myself because I realise now that I gave up my dream because of a small amount of money per month, that money isn't everything and that if I had the wonderful job that I loved in a place I loved, I could always push for more money later or else move on, or whatever. But instead I am still sitting here wishing I was there. In retrospect, with all things considered, I wish I had taken it and continued to work my way up from that point. But you might not want to move to Canada as much as I do, so it may be that the wage is a more important deciding factor for you - that's something only you can know. For me, I wish I had seen it as part of the whole package, not the deciding factor. Anyway, I've learned my lesson and I hope it is useful for you as you try to decide what's right for you. Very best of luck with the big decision.

Last edited by Anya121; Jun 13th 2018 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Anya121
Clearly it's just personal preference. My parents lived in Cochrane and commuted to Calgary for 10 years or more and they loved it. They only moved back to Ontario because of my elderly Grandmother. My aunt and uncle live in Airdrie and commute to Calgary. They've done that for their whole lives and they love it too. It's just down to personal preference whether you prefer to live in a city with no commute or in a village and commute in. If the latter, I agree Cochrane and Airdrie are both lovely places.

Back to the original question though, Samb29, I would think you'd be okay on $70,000 with your husband topping that up with part-time. I don't live in Canada at the moment, but my parents and sister live there and they've been advising me on salary expectations. I make similar to what you said here in the UK and the target they told me to look for there is $70,000-80,000. I would say this: consider that it's your starting wage so would go up. If, once you got settled, you found it wasn't enough compared to what you are used to, you could always push for a raise once they know you better, or look around for something else using the networks that you'll have made. Or if it's an option, your husband could potentially take on more hours when the kids get older maybe? From what I understand, it's a good wage, not super high like some IT jobs, but also not low, ($50,000-$60,000 is a normal wage for many jobs so $70,000 is good - on the upper end of normal, if I understand it correctly), and you would have room to increase it in other ways in the future, so it seems a decent starting point. The reason I'm posting here is because when I saw your post about having a decent offer and not knowing whether to take it, it reminded me of what happened to me recently. I interviewed for a really interesting job that I would have loved, in a really beautiful place that I would have loved, and I turned it down because they wouldn't come up to the amount I wanted. And it was that magic $70,000 that they wouldn't come up to. Ever since then I've been kicking myself because I realise now that I gave up my dream because of a small amount of money per month, that money isn't everything and that if I had the wonderful job that I loved in a place I loved, I could always push for more money later or else move on, or whatever. But instead I am still sitting here wishing I was there. In retrospect, with all things considered, I wish I had taken it and continued to work my way up from that point. But you might not want to move to Canada as much as I do, so it may be that the wage is a more important deciding factor for you - that's something only you can know. For me, I wish I had seen it as part of the whole package, not the deciding factor. Anyway, I've learned my lesson and I hope it is useful for you as you try to decide what's right for you. Very best of luck with the big decision.
Thanks for your post some good advice in there.

I have a job offer on the target salary of $70k, 3 weeks leave plus hols, annual allowance $1k for medical, problem is this week my husband has also been offer 2 new jobs in the UK that will benefit his experience more.

Alot of thinking this weekend for us.

I know the offer is great and all that I could have hoped for but its still going to require my husband to top the income up buy $20-30K a year part time.

The other reservations I have about Calgary is the 8 months of winter and the isolation of Calgary.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a great job offer. As you say, it's just deciding where you'd rather be really, if your husband has 2 good offers in the UK and you have a good offer there. Best of luck with the decision making.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samb29
Thanks for your post some good advice in there.

I have a job offer on the target salary of $70k, 3 weeks leave plus hols, annual allowance $1k for medical, problem is this week my husband has also been offer 2 new jobs in the UK that will benefit his experience more.

Alot of thinking this weekend for us.

I know the offer is great and all that I could have hoped for but its still going to require my husband to top the income up buy $20-30K a year part time.

The other reservations I have about Calgary is the 8 months of winter and the isolation of Calgary.
You really should consider everything very carefully then.

Are you really going to be happy with 7-8 months winter?

Are the positives about Calgary (eg winter sports, easy access to the Rockies) enough to outweigh the isolation for you and/or family members.

Lots of people live there happily. Are you going to be one of them?

I couldn't take those long winters and the bone freezing cold of some days, nor could I take being so far from the ocean!