Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Company Transfer? (EDS)

Company Transfer? (EDS)

Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:52 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Company Transfer? (EDS)

I have a job offer from EDS at the moment here in the UK, I notice they have offices all over Canada (including Edmonton, where we would like to go!).

Has anyone ever done an internal company transfer to Canada from the UK? How successfull was it? How does the Canadian goverment view this, can you apply for PR while you are there etc?

Thoughts anyone?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company Transfer? (EDS)

Originally Posted by port7
I have a job offer from EDS at the moment here in the UK, I notice they have offices all over Canada (including Edmonton, where we would like to go!).

Has anyone ever done an internal company transfer to Canada from the UK? How successfull was it? How does the Canadian goverment view this, can you apply for PR while you are there etc?

Thoughts anyone?

Maybe better to ask on the immigration forum. But some points to note are:

- You will need a work permit, http://www.cic.gc.ca
- There is no "employer nomination" scheme to get PR in Canada. You need to apply as a regular skilled worker offshore and waiting times are very long, however:
a. There is anecdotal evidence that some visa posts prioritise applications from those on work permits in Canada; and
b. the Alberta PNP may give a quicker, non-points tested option.

Have a think about what would happen if you get fired or decide to resign before you get PR.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Thoughts anyone?
Hi
That is basically what we have done. Very spur of the moment and within 3 months of first hearing about the job were packed up, shipped out and living here! For the first 2 years we had temoporary visas (each lasting one year) and then because the company didn't want to keep paying for the visas applied to be PR.

The move was made very easy beacuse we had a relocation company and lawyers paid for by the company.
The one snag is we don't have a job to go back to...........

Good Luck!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts anyone?
I haven't done a transfer but I deal with EDS in Edmonton most days. I only know lowly technicians but they're all from places other than Edmonton so they may have transferred. If you think it would be useful to chat with them send me a PM and I'll ask if anyone there is up for it.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough

I've worked for EDS in the UK for over 10 years. I've enquired about a transfer to Canada as away of getting round the three year PR wait. (Though I do want to stick with EDS!!)
To put it simply there isn't a process within EDS to transfer between countries. Each country is treated as a separate entity, assuming you can find a job, and there aren't that many going in EDS Canada, you have to resign from one and start again in the other. And there is no relocation expenses at all.

I’ve been talking to people in EDS Canada for over 9 months, and even with 10 years loyalty to the company not got very far. If you haven't even started with EDS UK then I don't think you'll get far trying to transfer to Canada immediately. They'll see through you pretty quick and there is a policy that you must stay for at least a year in a position before you can try and move.

According to Canada immigration web site (don't ask me where), to apply for a work permit based on a company transfer you have to have worked for the company for over a year.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough

I should have added that EDS is a good company to work for, their new flexible benefits scheme is excellent, they've looked after me pretty well over the years. Which is why I'd like to stay with them when I move to Canada.

And there is plenty of work and opportunuties within the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Ian in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, IT jobs are few and far between in Canada. Unless you are near Toronto or Ottawa (need to be bilingual)
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Henneth will become famous soon enoughHenneth will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread! I've also recently received a job offer from EDS here in the UK, and one of the attractive things from my point of view was the possibility of a role transfer to Canada at some point in the future.

It's a shame to hear that there is no company support in place as far as relocation, but where there's a will there's a way right? From what I understand it's currently extremely difficult to find IT jobs as an immigrant to Canada, so the benefit of working for someone such as EDS isn't so much with immigration assistance as much as just getting a job out there in the first place!

IIRC don't EDS have a big office on Yonge Street in the centre of downtown Toronto?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Henneth
IIRC don't EDS have a big office on Yonge Street in the centre of downtown Toronto?
They have their logo on the old A.E.LePage building at Yonge and Wellington but I don't know if they have an office in there. One colleague went to work for them somewhere east, Oshawa, Whitby, something like that, but it may have been in a GM data centre. He didn't last long there and once he left them he promptly grew a beard.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

Thoughts anyone?
Try the website Vault.com, EDS will have a messageboard where you can speak to employees worldwide under a pseudonym, ask any questions you like about Canadian transfers, you might find it useful.

Point to note

I work for a big consultancy firm but not on the tech side:-

The site tends to be overly populated with the 'disaffetcted', hence, in my opinion, the viewpoint is not especially balanced.

Good luck anyway!