Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school"

Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school"

Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:19 pm
Flying Scotsman

Slippy will become famous soon enoughSlippy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school"

Thanks, but I think I'll just stay here in Britain...! This is far too head wrecking for me...
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They do however, have a lot more knowledge than you do about the UK schooling system, which is very evident from your post. Many people on the forum have been fine with just a letter and no exam results (as exam results aren't necessary to finish school in the UK).

It will be down to the individual company as to what they'll accept, but the OP has already been told that a letter will be fine, so I don't quite know why you think that your answer is the definitive one.

Because Yahoo answers is known to be so reliable eh? If it really says that GCSE's and A levels are required, then it's a load of rubbish. A levels aren't even required to go to university in the UK, never mind finishing secondary school!
I agree with Dulci, I have been through the UK education system and had kids go though the Canadian one.

The only definitive answer is for the OP to get what they can and see what happens. Pretty much everyone in the western world has likely been to high school and reached grade 10, it is the law. Completion in North American terms, is graduation, which is more relevant, as this is where the OP wants to come to.

Leaving UK school at 16 with no GCE = Dropping out at grade 10 in NA.
GCE O levels will pass for graduation equivalent.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slippy
Thanks, but I think I'll just stay here in Britain...! This is far too head wrecking for me...
Don't let a forum spoil your dreams, do your own research, approach employers, maybe do the GED if needs be. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen. If you give up, maybe it was not something you really wanted to do badly enough.

Get a letter to prove you went to school, send it in and see what happens. This is an open forum with a variety of opinions, some more right than others, some completely wrong. I would not let a few posts on here stop you.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:31 pm
Flying Scotsman

Slippy will become famous soon enoughSlippy will become famous soon enough

Thanks mate...
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The only definitive answer is for the OP to get what they can and see what happens.
Exactly. The OP has been asked for a letter, so all he can do is get that and then see what happens. He may well need further proof or a GED for a PR app though, but that's a different matter and something to worry about further down the line.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks, I'm in the process of trying to arrange interviews for my visit next month and some companies are asking for proof of completion of secondary education!!!! What the hell, I don't ever remember leaving school with a letter stating that I have served my time and able to leave school, I just left when I turned 16 lol...! Can anyone enlighten me pleased cos it's kinda stressing me out, it's time consuming enough getting all the appropriate paperwork together without this hanging over me

In Canada one graduates from high school and you receive a diploma attesting to this fact. You can also get your transcripts from the school or school board from which you graduated. If you just left (ie. did not graduate) then they may not consider you as having completed secondary education.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
I have an English friend who was offered a position at the town council, over here in Ontario, only for the lady who offered it to then say she had made a dreadful mistake, she couldn't offer it now as my friend didn't have a grade 12 high school diploma. She finished comp in England, went onto college and Uni, but they still required that little piece of paper. She now has the union fighting it for her, so we shall see.

That person was wrong - if one completes college or university the high school requirement goes out the window.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:49 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Christmasoompa, where in this thread have you read that the OP was asked by the potential employer to 'get a letter'? It has been suggested that he do that by other posters but no where has the OP indicated that the employer has said, 'get a letter'. The only thing Slippy has said the employers have asked for is 'proof of completion of secondary education'.

Again, in Canada that means proof you graduated from High School.

"Thanks, but I think I'll just stay here in Britain...! This is far too head wrecking for me..."

That kinda sums up why they ask. Weeds out the wheat from the chaff. If you give up that easily Slippy, what does it say about you?

As Aviator wrote, "If you want it bad enough you can make it happen. If you give up, maybe it was not something you really wanted to do badly enough."
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeeeze!!! I'm not the only truck driver in Britain that has no qualifications surely...? The only thing I've read so far is they require proof of "completion" of secondary school, that to me means a letter from secondary stating that I completed school at the legal age required by law and nothing is mentioned about exam grades achieved...! If that's the case I'm snookered :-( will have to check this out somehow.....

They are using the term 'completed' (or 'completion' or whatever other variation thereof) as being synonymous with 'graduated'.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis

If someone doesn't have their High School Diploma but has a College or University Diploma, they're fine.

College diploma or university degree. Sorry to be pedantic, but it has always irked me when people refer to a college diploma as a degree (the college diploma is nowhere near as hard) or to a university degree as a diploma (the university degree is much harder to obtain).
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ive been reading this thread with interest ,and as someone who had a letter from school saying i attended from age 5---16. as required . iirc the company i started with asked for proof of education and this was accepted.
This was all that was needed for my nomination and PR . I have noticed that in AB that the qualifications for nomination are stricter than other provinces and this firm in particular wants proof of education.
I for one can not belive that everyone in Canada in a non skilled grade job has proof of education.
I know the company in question is Westcan so can anyone that works for them help answer this?
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:56 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Colchar, you're right. Provided the person has a College or University Diploma, showing either would normally make the High School Diploma irrrelevant.

But we don't know if the person has such a diploma. You can take some college or university courses without ever graduating in anything. Canbritdenise has not provided enough information for anyone to give any kind of definitive response to what her friend encountered.

It's very easy to present what seems to be a simple scenario and leave out one or more pieces of relevant information knowingly or unknowingly. Canbritdenise has not said that her friend presented a College or University Diploma.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:00 pm
Banned

Be as pedantic as you like colchar. No problem. However, Universities award both degrees and diplomas and so do Colleges actually.
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/a-di...-not-a-degree/
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
Christmasoompa, where in this thread have you read that the OP was asked by the potential employer to 'get a letter'? It has been suggested that he do that by other posters but no where has the OP indicated that the employer has said, 'get a letter'.
Yeh JAJ just a letter stating I completed secondary education, that's all it asks for
HTH.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:09 pm
Banned

Jamesmc, any employer can ask for any educational requirement they wish to ask for. They could ask for a University Degree for the job if they wanted.

When dealing with an employer, each employer will have their own requirements. But if they say 'proof of secondary education' what they MEAN by that will be the same. A High School Diploma.

Now, if you come from somewhere outside of Canada then the fact is the the individual person in that company who looks at your job application will determine if what you show them is acceptable to them or not.

I've already suggested that Slippy phone or e-mail the employer and ask for clarification. If he e-mails, ' I do not have a High School Diploma as such since they do not have such a Diploma in the UK. I left high school in good standing and since then have 8 years of fuel truck driving experience here in the UK and a letter or reccommendation from my last employer indicating their satisfaction with me as an employee. Will you accept my application on that basis?'

He may get a 'yes that's fine' reply. Or he may not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.