British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/company-asking-proof-completion-secondary-school-828261/)

Slippy Mar 11th 2014 10:47 pm

Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school"

Hi folks, I'm in the process of trying to arrange interviews for my visit next month and some companies are asking for proof of completion of secondary education!!!! What the hell, I don't ever remember leaving school with a letter stating that I have served my time and able to leave school, I just left when I turned 16 lol...! Can anyone enlighten me pleased cos it's kinda stressing me out, it's time consuming enough getting all the appropriate paperwork together without this hanging over me:confused:

Tangram Mar 11th 2014 11:04 pm

Re: Company asking for "proof of completion of secondary school"

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11168670)
Hi folks, I'm in the process of trying to arrange interviews for my visit next month and some companies are asking for proof of completion of secondary education!!!! What the hell, I don't ever remember leaving school with a letter stating that I have served my time and able to leave school, I just left when I turned 16 lol...! Can anyone enlighten me pleased cos it's kinda stressing me out, it's time consuming enough getting all the appropriate paperwork together without this hanging over me:confused:

Exam certificates from a Joint Matriculation Board would do.

Slippy Mar 11th 2014 11:20 pm

Paul thanks for your prompt reply BUT "exam cert for joint matriculation board" is what exactly??? Jeeeeze mate the only cert I got was beating Usain Bolts 100 mtr sprint out the school gates lol!!!! I take it if I don't have exam reports or passed grades am snookered...!

Dashie Mar 12th 2014 12:04 am

Did you sit any GCSEs or O Levels? Anything after that? Those certificates would help. Does your school still exist? Maybe call them and see if they can write you a letter? If not, maybe the Local Education Authority can do something.

Jericho79 Mar 12th 2014 1:54 pm

It's proabably quicker to demonstrate to them that all kids finish high school in the UK- it's not like the North American system where you have to graduate.

Slippy Mar 12th 2014 2:16 pm

It's doing my head in Jericho!!! Can't contact anyone that can help me, I'm so close to coming over as well and have spent last 3 weeks gathering everything that's been asked of me ie police check, drivers abstract, last ten years proof of employment (written letters on company headed paper from all previous jobs) etc only to be kicked back down all because of a crazy thing like "proof of completed secondary education" wtf!!! Sorry I'm just abit peaved cos I don't want to pay flights and everything if this is gonna stop me getting residency.

Aviator Mar 12th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jericho79 (Post 11169479)
It's proabably quicker to demonstrate to them that all kids finish high school in the UK- it's not like the North American system where you have to graduate.

Not quite so though. Kids can leave school, or they used to be able to at 16, without taking any exams, pretty much like dropping out here at grade 10. Some took GCE some went to A level which is more like graduating.

If one has higher education, it is less of an issue proving finishing high school.

AlliF Mar 12th 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11169503)
Not quite so though. Kids can leave school, or they used to be able to at 16, without taking any exams, pretty much like dropping out here at grade 10. Some took GCE some went to A level which is more like graduating.

But then it is a question of how do they define completing isn't it? If they haven't asked specifically for proof of 'graduating' then you could argue that attending til the specified age was completing as that is all you are required to do in the UK.

We have just had to provide proof of secondary education for the PNP process - we didn't have our certificates here (haven't had to show them since we started college/university!) so we went onto the examination boards website (in our case the Scottish Qualifications Authority) and ordered replacement certificates. Took a couple of weeks for them to arrive.:)

canbritdenise Mar 12th 2014 5:33 pm

I have an English friend who was offered a position at the town council, over here in Ontario, only for the lady who offered it to then say she had made a dreadful mistake, she couldn't offer it now as my friend didn't have a grade 12 high school diploma. She finished comp in England, went onto college and Uni, but they still required that little piece of paper. She now has the union fighting it for her, so we shall see.

Dulciusexasperis Mar 12th 2014 5:48 pm

Umm, I'm not up on all things UK school related like GCSEs and A levels, etc.

What I do know though is that you cannot have 'completed' your secondary school (High School) education in Canada by age 16 generally speaking. You would have had to 'skip' several grades to do so.

In Canada High School goes to year 12 or 13, not counting Kindergarten. So Grade 12 or grade 13. To 'complete' high school means you passed the exams in your last year, not just attended. If you failed the year you did not 'complete' it. Usually, you are 18 or 19 when you complete High School.

So that being said, if you left school at 16 Slippy, you are not going to be able to show 'completion of secondary education' unless you went back to school or took night school courses to get your GCSE or A levels as they are called in the UK.

That's the bottom line and from what you have written it sounds like you ae what would be called a 'high school dropout' here in Canada. If a High School Diploma is a requirement you can't meet it.

So that leads to the next question. What are you trying to interview for? If for example you left school but are a qualifed Electrician and applying for jobs in that field then you could ignore the 'secondary education' and just put N/A in the box and rely on your Electrician's qualification certificate ( or whatever it is called) to get you the interview.

Slippy Mar 12th 2014 5:51 pm

Cheers Scot :-) soooo it's the scottish qualifications authority I should contact then...? PHEW!!! Hard work this getting a job in another country malarkey, you'd think cos of the so called shortage of drivers they'd be screaming for us to come over....!

Slippy Mar 12th 2014 6:05 pm

Over in Britain you are able to leave school @ the age of 16 like I did with no grades whatsoever but what I have got is 8 years experience in fuel tanker driving and going on what I've heard about the mass shortage of truck drivers the country is supposedly struggling with ( ie 37000+ )you would've thought that experience alone would've been enough, obviously not...! Don't get me wrong I'm not thick I just had a hard time at school and unregrettably left as soon as I could.... If truck driving was to be made skilled then myself and other drivers in my predicament would have a better chance of getting over to Canada to help out so said shortages!!!!

geo4 Mar 12th 2014 6:20 pm

Contact your school and they will provide a letter. Its pretty standard stuff.

Slippy Mar 12th 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 11169878)
Contact your school and they will provide a letter. Its pretty standard stuff.

Thanks geo4 :-) that's exactly what I will do tomorrow, cheers dude.

geo4 Mar 12th 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11169882)
Thanks geo4 :-) that's exactly what I will do tomorrow, cheers dude.

Its why they have all those old dears in the school office. ;)