Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comox Valley, Vancouver Island

Comox Valley, Vancouver Island

Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comox Valley, Vancouver Island

I am currently in the process of deciding whether we might move to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen (with dual Canadian/UK nationality), married to a Brit, and we have a 9 year old son. We live in Scotland at the moment.

We love the look of Vancouver Island (it ticks several boxes for us) and in particular, Courtenay/Comox Valley. I know this might seem like the back of beyond to lots of people, but please bear in mind that we currently live in a small rural village in Scotland, and like it that way - we rarely bother venturing into the bigger cities. Oh, and I was born in Eastend, SK, which really IS the back of beyond.... Courtenay looks like a thriving metropolis by comparison.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of the Comox Valley that they can share? What's it like to live there, schools, doctors, etc etc?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Comox Valley, Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
I am currently in the process of deciding whether we might move to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen (with dual Canadian/UK nationality), married to a Brit, and we have a 9 year old son. We live in Scotland at the moment.

We love the look of Vancouver Island (it ticks several boxes for us) and in particular, Courtenay/Comox Valley. I know this might seem like the back of beyond to lots of people, but please bear in mind that we currently live in a small rural village in Scotland, and like it that way - we rarely bother venturing into the bigger cities. Oh, and I was born in Eastend, SK, which really IS the back of beyond.... Courtenay looks like a thriving metropolis by comparison.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of the Comox Valley that they can share? What's it like to live there, schools, doctors, etc etc?

Thanks in advance
We live further down Island in Parksville and previously in Nanoose Bay. We have a friend in Courtenay who is from there. It kinda has the best of both worlds....The up and coming area of Cumberland is a bit more rural and Courtenay has more land in the outskirts. The city is as big as Nanaimo and has big stores like Costco. There is also an airport in Comox with flights to Vancouver. If you have queries about things in particular places, give me a shout and I can ask my friend.........I am also Scottish although from outside Glasgow so these are not big Cities to me!!!! And I have a Canadian hubby. My oldest son is 10!!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks that's great!

I had looked at Cumberland too, and couldn't decide about it. It looks small, and some of it looks nice, other bits a bit tired. If it is up and coming, I guess that's why. Does that mean it's cheap right now and will get more expensive?

Courtenay certainly looked like it had all we might need in terms of day to day stuff. Sounds like I was right there.

How does cost of living (in particular groceries, my hubby is worried about this) compare with Scotland, do you know?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, Courtenay will cover just about everything!!

Regarding food, we are a family of 5 and I feel it is slightly more expensive here but we dont tend to go for supermarket own brands and have actually shopped more organic here. Generally, cheese is very expensive, chicken tends to be about the same or slightly more and minced beef is cheaper. Everything in between is a hit and miss. We are not huge frozen food shoppers so that may be my problem hahaha! Its hard getting used to new supermarkets and Canadian stuff. BUT if you get homesick, Quality Foods (there are huge ones in Comox and Courtenay) stock a selection of imported British foods like Scott's Porridge, Branston pickle, cadbury's chocolate etc. Oh and Scottish teabags!!!!! That is one thing I cant trade for Canadian!!! The 'Orange Pekoe' Tetley is disgusting!!! On the whole it isnt too bad!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Comox Valley. The valley is a thriving community with lots to do if you are into the outdoors and get excellent jobs so you can afford those past-times. You have not mentioned what your professions are. Finding a job here can be a challenge and when we first came here we were told we should work for ourselves. We opened a B&B but it was not enough income to enjoy the skiing and fishing etc. My OH then went to work eventually part time at one of the box stores. None of these jobs was what we did back in UK. My OH was going to retire but it did not work out. I would say that your priority is to find work first somewhere on Vancouver Island and not necessary find a commnity first. The towns of Courtenay and Cumberland have more younger families. There are also a lot of retirees here, either ex military (large airforce base here) or ex Albertans since West Jet flies directly into Comox from both Calgary and Edmonton. We have decided to sell up and go back to UK and retire in two years time. I think if we were much younger with children here we probably would have stayed. You can pm me if you want any personal info.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

You asked about doctors, you may have to use a walk in clinic for a while until you find a practice that can take you. They are going (have been talking about this for years) to build a new hospital, I believe finally break ground next year. Don't hold your breath though as nothing moves fast here

Personally I would do a recce first and check out job prospects.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you that is so helpful.

We are all into the outdoors, hubby and son love fishing especially. My husband works for a company based in LA, and all his work is done virtually so that would stay exactly the same; he can literally work from anywhere. Short of company disaster his income, whilst not enormous, will stay the same as now.

I currently own and run a bridal store, but I doubt very much I would want to open one there. Unless things to do with wedding gowns are very different in Canada, which I sincerely doubt, it's an incredibly tough business to be in. But having run one business, I am very confident I could run another, it would just be a case of choosing what, and deciding if that was really what I wanted, instead of being employed by someone else. My experience prior to having my own business was pretty diverse, so I guess the plan for me would be to find a job, any job, to start with, and take it from there. I am 34, so in some ways I feel I have plenty of time to sort myself out.

Recce is in the pipeline for next summer, all being well. We are planning a 2 week vacation on the island to check stuff out, so hopefully we will be able to check out job prospects etc while we are there.

Really appreciate your help and I will pm if I need to
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really nice

Our doctor is wonderful (he's British!) and we have found the medical services wonderful. Schools on the other hand are not so good - you need to pick very carefully and keep your fingers crossed. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have moved to the Island and definitely not this part.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lucky Bird
Our doctor is wonderful (he's British!) and we have found the medical services wonderful. Schools on the other hand are not so good - you need to pick very carefully and keep your fingers crossed. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have moved to the Island and definitely not this part.
Thanks Lucky Bird. I would appreciate any more info you can let me have on this.... if you'd rather pm then please do. Which schools do you have experience of and what problems have you encountered?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really nice

Thanks Lucky Bird. I would appreciate any more info you can let me have on this.... if you'd rather pm then please do. Which schools do you have experience of and what problems have you encountered?
Schooling here is not the same as in the UK - it is our biggest regret about coming here.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

But not the same in what way? It's different everywhere I guess, and it being different doesn't bother me.... but if there are specific problems with particular schools in the area, or particular things that have been big problems for you or your kids, it would be good to know about them
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

I'll pm you
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But not the same in what way? It's different everywhere I guess, and it being different doesn't bother me.... but if there are specific problems with particular schools in the area, or particular things that have been big problems for you or your kids, it would be good to know about them
Given the structure of their resource based economy, Canadian schools coast rather than excel.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Given the structure of their resource based economy, Canadian schools coast rather than excel.
With respect and duly noting that the OP specifically wants info about the Comox Valley, not everywhere in Canada has a resource based economy.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With respect and duly noting that the OP specifically wants info about the Comox Valley, not everywhere in Canada has a resource based economy.
Yes I agree, but unfortunately the ethos of that economy and the corresponding educational philosophy pervades those areas. Not saying there aren't extremely proficient and dedicated teachers it's just my observation that their practice and subsequent achievements tend to get a little squished under the weight of 'the system'. School districts like Comox Valley are particularly susceptible to laissez faire drift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.