Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Commuting costs to downtown Toronto (from Oakville)

Commuting costs to downtown Toronto (from Oakville)

Old May 27th 2018, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commuting costs to downtown Toronto (from Oakville)

hi all,
Please can anyone show me where I can find monthly pass rates for GO trains? Is that $400 a month?? If we live in Oakville, I was told that we need 2 cars (that’s for both of us travel to downtown for work - leaving and coming home at different times to manage school drop offs and pickups). That’s another $500 each for insurance?

Are my numbers right? Am I looking at nearly $2000 in commute??
Old May 27th 2018, 9:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting costs to downtown Toronto (from Oakville)

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...fare/your-fare
Old May 27th 2018, 9:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterdiva
hi all,
Please can anyone show me where I can find monthly pass rates for GO trains? Is that $400 a month?? If we live in Oakville, I was told that we need 2 cars (that’s for both of us travel to downtown for work - leaving and coming home at different times to manage school drop offs and pickups). That’s another $500 each for insurance?

Are my numbers right? Am I looking at nearly $2000 in commute??
Car insurance shouldn't be more than $500/month for two cars and two drivers, not $500 per driver.

https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...fare/your-fare says the one-way far is $8.90 so that'd be $400 if you didn't buy a season ticket/pass but you would buy a pass.

Well that's a baffling website. It looks as if a monthly pass saves a buck a trip (for the likely volume of use) so a pass would make sense for convenience but isn't much help with the cost. If you can time your trips to match each other then driving might be better (miserable, slow, dispiriting but potentially cheaper).

Last edited by dbd33; May 27th 2018 at 9:53 pm.
Old May 27th 2018, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Car insurance shouldn't be more than $500/month for two cars and two drivers, not $500 per driver.
Thanks dbd33. Is that the same for people who just moved to Canada? We have UK driving histories. Will that help in any way ?

Old May 27th 2018, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

You would get a Presto card which gives a discount on all trips, the size of the discount depends on the number of one way trips. The first 35 are 11% cheaper, 36 to 40 are 87% cheaper and if you travel over 40 trips in the month they are free. So if you travel to work 20 days in a month then total cost would be $282.25. Taken from the Presto page on Go transit site. I think $500 per month should cover both of you for two cars for insurance.
Old May 27th 2018, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. I really did look up there before posting here. It wasn’t there then - I only found a page showing single trip fare
Old May 27th 2018, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dbd33. Is that the same for people who just moved to Canada? We have UK driving histories. Will that help in any way ?

Your UK driving history, if presented in the manner expected (see wiki) will help. Policies are rated according to myriad factors, it's rare to have premium over $500/month in Oakville.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

As much as I hate commuting, I’m struggling to find courage to land in Kitchner or Guelph. One of the reasons being my current employer in the UK might agree to transfer me to their Toronto office (one of the Big4 consulting firms). Their clients in my line of work are all in Toronto.

General opinion seems to be (on forums) that it’s hard to find a job without Canada experience. So leaving a job to move to Kitchner/Waterloo/Guelph seems too risky. But with a Toronto job, my life won’t be any easier than what it is here in the UK. It might actually become harder if we take 2 week holidays and weather into consideration. We are extremely tempted by what our money can get us there for housing (Compared to UK)
Old May 27th 2018, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Its rare to have premium over $500/month in Oakville.
That’s in total for 2 cars and 2 drivers ??
Old May 27th 2018, 10:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

That’s in total for 2 cars and 2 drivers ??
Two adult drivers, yes.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I commuted for 6 years from Oakville via the GO train and found it a reasonably pleasant experience. Took me an hour door to door, I got to know quite a few people that took the same train, it was quite sociable. Have you actually visited Oakville? Looking at property on line is very different to the real thing. Many of the houses look fantastic, but the more modern ones often have very tiny lots which doesn't always show over the Internet.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I commuted for 6 years from Oakville via the GO train and found it a reasonably pleasant experience. Took me an hour door to door, I got to know quite a few people that took the same train, it was quite sociable. Have you actually visited Oakville? Looking at property on line is very different to the real thing. Many of the houses look fantastic, but the more modern ones often have very tiny lots which doesn't always show over the Internet.
An hour door to door is quite reasonable. We haven’t been to Canada yet. We might visit later this year. It might be a short 10day trip though. That’s why I’m trying to gather as much info as I can to make best use of our time there.

Thanks a a lot for helping me
Old May 27th 2018, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definitely visit and see the areas you are considering. The Internet is great but can be misleading particularly with property listings. Oakville may well meet your requirements, it has great schools is relatively safe and has a range of properties. We lived in an older home (1950 build) on a large lot close to the lake in the Oakville Trafalgar school district. It was a wonderful place to raise kids. I am less enthusiastic about some of the more recent Oakville neighbourhoods. Fabulous houses but if you sneeze you could infect the occupants of 6 other homes as they are so close together, this doesn't bother many people as they like the low maintenance yard, but it's hard to appreciate what the areas are like without actually seeing it for yourself.
Old May 28th 2018, 12:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I am less enthusiastic about some of the more recent Oakville neighbourhoods. Fabulous houses but if you sneeze you could infect the occupants of 6 other homes as they are so close together.
If you don't mind that, and for a long time I didn't, then you can live in Toronto, not have the commute, be near places of interest and give your children the freedom that comes with access to public transport.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew and his wife commuted from Guelph to Toronto for a few years before they became professors at Guelph Uni. There's a Go train now which takes about 1 to 1.5 hours each way - but it may be an option when you consider house prices and the nicer area that Guelph is compared to Oakville.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.