Common law sponsorship in Quebec

Wikiposts

Common law sponsorship in Quebec

Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:12 am
Just Joined

denmancentral is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law sponsorship in Quebec

Hi there!

I'm looking for clarification on the specific process for applying for PR in Quebec via the common law route. I'm living with my Canadian partner in Montreal on a BUNAC visa, so that sorts out the 1 year living together requirement, and I'm planning on taking the outland route as recommended in the wiki.

First step is clearly my partner's application to be a sponsor, to Mississauga. For non-Quebec applications, all the fees and documents, including my PR application, would be included in this submission and forwarded to London as appropriate.

For Quebec, however, it seems we only submit the sponsorship part, then a second stage of 'Undertaking' occurs. Is this still the 'outland' process, or did I read the wrong information?

Can anyone correct me, or elucidate? The Federal and Provincial immigration websites have sent me round in circles!

Thanks

Dan
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Common law sponsorship in Quebec

Originally Posted by denmancentral
Hi there!

I'm looking for clarification on the specific process for applying for PR in Quebec via the common law route. I'm living with my Canadian partner in Montreal on a BUNAC visa, so that sorts out the 1 year living together requirement, and I'm planning on taking the outland route as recommended in the wiki.

First step is clearly my partner's application to be a sponsor, to Mississauga. For non-Quebec applications, all the fees and documents, including my PR application, would be included in this submission and forwarded to London as appropriate.

For Quebec, however, it seems we only submit the sponsorship part, then a second stage of 'Undertaking' occurs. Is this still the 'outland' process, or did I read the wrong information?

Can anyone correct me, or elucidate? The Federal and Provincial immigration websites have sent me round in circles!

Thanks

Dan
Not sure about this question - can you rephrase? I don't think your
situation is any different than if you were married though.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

That's right, the same process as if married. I just want to know which documents to submit at which time, because the process is slightly trickier for Quebec.

Specifically do I send my PR application with the sponsorship application to Mississauga, or wait until we get sponsorship approval and then apply for the CSQ and PR together.

I'd appreciate any advice from people who have done this already.

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:38 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

Thanks

Dan
I didn't think you were allowed a BUNAC visa if you had a Canadian spouse or fiance? How did you manage that?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

I don't have a Canadian spouse or fiance. Common law partner/girlfriend, yes.

I'll be applying through common law towards the end of the BUNAC visa, once we have spent 12 continuous months living together.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:13 am
Account Closed

I don't have a Canadian spouse or fiance. Common law partner/girlfriend, yes.

I'll be applying through common law towards the end of the BUNAC visa, once we have spent 12 continuous months living together.
Common law is the same as spouse

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/forms/appForm.pdf
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

In that respect, common law is treated the same as spouse, yes.

As above, I have not yet lived for 12 months with my partner, so when applying last year my eligibility was not in question. Technically I should have written above Common law partner (as of January 2011)/girlfriend/.

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:43 am
Account Closed

In that respect, common law is treated the same as spouse, yes.

As above, I have not yet lived for 12 months with my partner, so when applying last year my eligibility was not in question. Technically I should have written above Common law partner (as of January 2011)/girlfriend/.

Thanks
No probs, just wondering how you did it.