Wikiposts

Common-Law: Break from living together

Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:59 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Common-Law: Break from living together

Hello all,

Just got back from Vancouver & Victoria and loved it there, had a chance to talk to several Physics profs at the local Universities and the opportunity to become a summer research student a year from now was mentioned. Given I want to apply to the universities this would obviously be an excellent opportunity!

I will be living solely with my partner in our flat from September 2010 until Summer 2012 when we move to Canada (we have been living together for the previous 2 years as well, but with other flatmates too). During Summer 2011 she will need to move away for her university work placement, and obviously I'd like to take up the offer from the Universities to engage is some research in Canada. This likely means we'd be apart for roughly 3 months (probably June - August 2011). During this time we would hopefully remain tenants of the flat and take advantage of the Edinburgh Festivals in order to sublet the property.

So my question is, when it comes to applying for the study permit for 2012, will we qualify as a common-law partnership, or do I need to think about popping the question? :P

Last edited by BTJ; Jun 20th 2010 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Improved readability, I hope.