Reload this Page >

Commercial construction companies in Calgary/Edmonton

Commercial construction companies in Calgary/Edmonton

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Soon2bCanadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commercial construction companies in Calgary/Edmonton

Hello,

I am a newbie, please be gentle with me! My husband and I are hoping to move to Alberta shortly. We have PR visas and will fly to Calgary in September for a recce.

I am trying to help my husband to identify commercial construction companies that are active in Calgary or Edmonton. My husband is a Project Manager with experience in building and refurbishing schools, shopping centres and medical facilities.

Can anyone suggest names of companies that undertake similar construction work in or around either city?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial construction companies in Calgary/Edmonton

PCL is the first big company name that comes to mind. That's my starter, others will have more soon I am sure.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth contacting one of the construction associations: http://albertaconstruction.net/?page_id=141

This website gives details of all planned construction, some with details of the company who have been awarded the tender. Might be useful for finding companies: http://www.albertacanada.com/busines...-projects.aspx

You can use the search function on this website to find construction companies: http://www.jobsite123.ca/profile-sea...q=Construction

Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Thank your for your replies. The links have been very helpful, we now have a much bigger list of companies to contact!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Maple Reinders www.maple.ca

I am joining them in November this year, although on their civil/environmental side.

They are recruiting.

Let me know if you want some contacts!

Last edited by withabix; Aug 25th 2013 at 12:54 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

I came to Calgary on a TWP 5 years ago with Cana Services Ltd. I am a carpenter. They have scaled things down quite a bit in the last few years, on the construction side of things, but are more into the management side of things.
They have cut the labour force right down, so they aren't doing the construction side so much, they are managing the jobs and contracting the work out now, so it may be more what your husband is looking for.
They have built hospitals, strip malls, schools, the court building in downtown Calgary, the C-train extension, the hockey rinks and hall of fame at the Canada Olympic Park. I was on the new library at the U of C for 2 years when I first came here.
I am no longer with them, I left and started my own contracting company once I got my PR, but I found them to be a decent company to work for.
They were once the biggest company in Calgary, and have been going since 1942, so are well established.
PCL are probably the biggest construction company in Calgary at present, other big companies are Ellis Don, and Stuart Olsen, also Graham. ( the big 4) There are loads of smaller companies in Calgary, but they are the main ones, and the best bet to try first.
They love the British workers, as our attitude and work ethic is much higher than the Canadian workers. ( Not a slight on Canadians, just a fact. No offence intended)

Hope this helps, and good luck with it all.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the undutchables
I came to Calgary on a TWP 5 years ago with Cana Services Ltd. I am a carpenter. They have scaled things down quite a bit in the last few years, on the construction side of things, but are more into the management side of things.
They have cut the labour force right down, so they aren't doing the construction side so much, they are managing the jobs and contracting the work out now, so it may be more what your husband is looking for.
They have built hospitals, strip malls, schools, the court building in downtown Calgary, the C-train extension, the hockey rinks and hall of fame at the Canada Olympic Park. I was on the new library at the U of C for 2 years when I first came here.
I am no longer with them, I left and started my own contracting company once I got my PR, but I found them to be a decent company to work for.
They were once the biggest company in Calgary, and have been going since 1942, so are well established.
PCL are probably the biggest construction company in Calgary at present, other big companies are Ellis Don, and Stuart Olsen, also Graham. ( the big 4) There are loads of smaller companies in Calgary, but they are the main ones, and the best bet to try first.
They love the British workers, as our attitude and work ethic is much higher than the Canadian workers. ( Not a slight on Canadians, just a fact. No offence intended)

Hope this helps, and good luck with it all.
Thank you that is really helpful.