Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to VI in May..Best place 2 stay????

Coming to VI in May..Best place 2 stay????

Old May 1st 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Crazycat74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to VI in May..Best place 2 stay????

Hi
My Hubby and 2 Boys 12 & 15 are hoping to come out at the end of May-early June, but we are not sure if we should book a hotel in Victoria close to amenities or B & B further out.
Any recommendations? Is it cheaper for B & B ? We don't want anything too flashy as we will hopefully be out and about. So far we have looked at Best Western Plaza, Quality Inn downtown or the several Travellers Inn's.
Any info on where to stay or steer clear of, and what not to miss, suiting families with teenagers to do in Victoria would also help. I have checked out the many tourist sites and info on here, and have a list of all the obvious sights like Butchart, Butterfly and Pacific Undersea gardens, IMAX theatre, Malls etc. but if any one knows of any other places of interest for teenagers, that would be great.
Also my hubby would like to know if there is any way he can find out if there are any tourist/travel agents hiring or anyone looking for Sales Managers...Have looked on web extensively, but with no luck.

Last edited by Crazycat74; May 1st 2007 at 2:39 pm. Reason: B & B question
Old May 1st 2007, 4:03 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coming to VI in May..Best place 2 stay????

Originally Posted by Crazycat74
Hi
My Hubby and 2 Boys 12 & 15 are hoping to come out at the end of May-early June, but we are not sure if we should book a hotel in Victoria close to amenities or B & B further out.
Any recommendations? Is it cheaper for B & B ? We don't want anything too flashy as we will hopefully be out and about. So far we have looked at Best Western Plaza, Quality Inn downtown or the several Travellers Inn's.
Any info on where to stay or steer clear of, and what not to miss, suiting families with teenagers to do in Victoria would also help. I have checked out the many tourist sites and info on here, and have a list of all the obvious sights like Butchart, Butterfly and Pacific Undersea gardens, IMAX theatre, Malls etc. but if any one knows of any other places of interest for teenagers, that would be great.
Also my hubby would like to know if there is any way he can find out if there are any tourist/travel agents hiring or anyone looking for Sales Managers...Have looked on web extensively, but with no luck.
We always use Sandman, they're pretty good. www.sandmanhotels.com
The best place for teenagers is North Island Battlefield in Black Creek up the island - oh wait a minute, that's us so I might be biased!

bad.andy
Old May 1st 2007, 4:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you read the BE Wiki article on Careers in Canada, with special attention to networking and informational interviews.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:14 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO Butchart Garden's is an overpriced snore-fest and I like gardening. There are far more interesting, cheaper/free gardens around the city - Beacon Hill Park, The Gardens at the University of Victoria (Finnerty Garden?), Hatley Castle/Park, the gardens at the Government House, The Abkhazi Garden, etc... Being a local (or was), I have never been to Butterfly World or Undersea Garden.

I'm 39 but very immature and I'm from Victoria - this is how I amused my nephews and myself when they visited:

Although geared more towards children, than teens or adults, I like the Bug Zoo... if your kids like insects, it's cool.

Rent some bicycles or rollerblades or skateboards and ride the Galloping Goose Trail http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/

If your kids like skateboarding - Vic West Skateboard Park is cool
http://www.coastalbc.com/skate/victoria.htm

All Fun Rec Park - http://www.allfun.bc.ca/

The Observatory at night to star gaze:
http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/dao/index_e.html
(now, 'The Centre of the Universe', or something)

mini golf at Mattick's Farm
http://www.matticksfarm.com/merchant.../mini_golf.htm

Paintball out in the woods in Metchosin - can't remember which company but it was great! I got intouch with my inner-Terminator.

IMAX is always good.

Go canoeing - I guess you can rent a canoe or kayak in the Inner Harbour or out at Elk Lake (I have my own, it came with my CND birth certificate).

Just 'hangout' along the Inner Harbour - people watch, watch street entertainers and eat junk food.

Petting Zoo in Beacon Hill Park... a little zoo filled with baby goats, sheeps, donkeys, piggies, peacocks etc... I swear more adults like it than children.
http://www.beaconhillpark.ca/childrenspark/index.html

Tennis - all the City's Tennis courts are excellent and free.

Have fun!
Old May 1st 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
IMO Butchart Garden's is an overpriced snore-fest and I like gardening. There are far more interesting, cheaper/free gardens around the city - Beacon Hill Park, The Gardens at the University of Victoria (Finnerty Garden?), Hatley Castle/Park, the gardens at the Government House, The Abkhazi Garden, etc... Being a local (or was), I have never been to Butterfly World or Undersea Garden.

I'm 39 but very immature and I'm from Victoria - this is how I amused my nephews and myself when they visited:

Although geared more towards children, than teens or adults, I like the Bug Zoo... if your kids like insects, it's cool.

Rent some bicycles or rollerblades or skateboards and ride the Galloping Goose Trail http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/

Paintball out in the woods in Metchosin - can't remember which company but it was great! I got intouch with my inner-Terminator.

IMAX is always good.

Go canoeing - I guess you can rent a canoe or kayak in the Inner Harbour or out at Elk Lake (I have my own, it came with my CND birth certificate).

Just 'hangout' along the Inner Harbour - people watch, watch street entertainers and eat junk food.

Petting Zoo in Beacon Hill Park... a little zoo filled with baby goats, sheeps, donkeys, piggies, peacocks etc... I swear more adults like it than children.

Have fun!
Thanks for all that info, I will be looking at those suggestions...
Crazycat74
Old May 1st 2007, 5:44 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all that info, I will be looking at those suggestions...
Crazycat74
Hi Crazycat74,

Last time we were there we stayed at the Embassy, it's really close to the harbour so really easy to get around

www.embassyinn.ca
Old May 1st 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Coming to VI in May..Best place 2 stay????

Hi
Hi
I found that a motel with a kitchen is a great idea helps to save on eating out here which if your having three meals a day can work out expensive If your staying for more than a couple of weeks they usually give you a better rate if your not fixed up by the time you come check out the visitors centre on Government and Humboldt street they usually recommend places that have vacancies best of luck
Also try and check out the titanic exhibition at the Victoria Museum also on government street the kids will love it
Old May 1st 2007, 6:17 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you are paying a visit - you will love it. Victoria is wonderful - are you planning on venturing further up the Island? Angela
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

IMAX is always good.

Have fun!
Thankyou these links were really helpful, especially the fun rec park, my youngest will love that, I hadn't even heard of that, so thanks.
Crazycat74
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gloveman
Glad to hear you are paying a visit - you will love it. Victoria is wonderful - are you planning on venturing further up the Island? Angela
We have booked the flights, still trying to sort out accommodation...tricky, so many places which are being booked up pretty fast.
Not sure if we will go too far, will probably hire a car after a few days of looking around Victoria,to check out other areas...After all this is supposed to be a reccie as well as fun (with the kids in tow, it wouldn't be fair to just look at job prospects and residential areas all the time)
My OH and kids have never been to Canada, this will be my fourth time so I sort of know what to expect, and hope that they all love it and would like to pick up sticks and leave the UK.
Crazycat74 (Michelle)

Last edited by Crazycat74; May 2nd 2007 at 12:29 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:52 pm

We have booked the flights, still trying to sort out accommodation...tricky, so many places which are being booked up pretty fast.
Not sure if we will go too far, will probably hire a car after a few days of looking around Victoria,to check out other areas...After all this is supposed to be a reccie as well as fun (with the kids in tow, it wouldn't be fair to just look at job prospects and residential areas all the time)
My OH and kids have never been to Canada, this will be my fourth time so I sort of know what to expect, and hope that they all love it and would like to pick up sticks and leave the UK.
Crazycat74 (Michelle)
Have a great holiday - if you get as far as Comox/Mount Washington let me know and we can meet up, if not, see you next time!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gloveman
Have a great holiday - if you get as far as Comox/Mount Washington let me know and we can meet up, if not, see you next time!
Thanks Angela
Who knows we might get brave and venture out a lot further.
Did you do a reccie trip before you moved out?
Just wondering, what made you decide on Comox, or even Vancouver Island itself.
Until recently we didn't even give the Island a second thought and were originally looking at other areas of Canada ie Alberta and Calgary, I have family in Ontario and Toronto, but wanted somewhere a little less vast and the milder weather seemed less of a shock, but within easy reach of good snowy weather if you wanted it, VI seems to have everything that we need to enjoy a more relaxed family lifestyle, but finding a safe, family geared area is something that worries me.
When we eventually move (job permitting) we really want to get it right.
Michelle (Crazycat74)
Old May 4th 2007, 7:53 am

Michelle - I've pm'ed you - Angela
Old May 5th 2007, 3:06 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Bug Zoo was cool for all my kids! I have pm'd also
Old May 5th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi Crazycat74,

Last time we were there we stayed at the Embassy, it's really close to the harbour so really easy to get around

www.embassyinn.ca

Yes, the Embassy is good.

Don't go to the Red Lion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.