Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Certainly the future of my kid was not being best served where we were living, we would have had to move area to find a better secondary school, so we just moved country at the same time too, yes, it was easier for me, as I was a spousal application - I often think you need true grit and determination of a type I probably don't possess otherwise.

My husband wanted to return to Canada, he is Canadian, and that played the larger part in our move.

If my son stays in Canada, he will do well, he is doing well in school here. I live in the centre of a very small "City", it's weeny. Being a Government City we have lots of opportunities that I didn't have living in a rural district before. My son can go to the cinema, walk to meet his friends, take part in after school activities without huge logistical planning. I am uneasy about the standard of education here, I am sure I am growing a 'well rounded' Canadian, but I also fear he may be thick as bricks if measured against the average European. I hope that I'm wrong. He's happy, so I'm not knocking it.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Saving this to show my kids. I'm pretty sure these are grievances they hadn't even considered (yet). Well perhaps except the swimming pool. Always nice to be able to help them be aware of exactly how unlucky they are.
Personally, I feel my children have greatly benefitted from being able to gaze upon a succession of convertible cars and bottles of various red wines. It was to refine their appreciation of such objects that I felt compelled to acquire them. In hindsight I feel that my emigration was justified in that, in the UK, my children might never have been in a building equipped with a central vacuum; they would have grown up as ignorant of the technology as I was.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Personally, I feel my children have greatly benefitted from being able to gaze upon a succession of convertible cars and bottles of various red wines. It was to refine their appreciation of such objects that I felt compelled to acquire them. In hindsight I feel that my emigration was justified in that, in the UK, my children might never have been in a building equipped with a central vacuum; they would have grown up as ignorant of the technology as I was.
You know, I've never seen central vacuuming in action. I suppose I've been in houses where it was installed but not knowingly. That's because I wasn't brought up here you see.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I very much dislike central vac....too bulky...no one ever wants to put it away, I'm considering buying a stand up anyway.

I think the children could do without this North American knowledge without any significant harm....
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure a central vac is a particularly Canadian thing tbh. My parents had one installed in the UK over 20 years ago, and they're by no means good with the latest technology or trendsetters! I know a lot who have them.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure a central vac is a particularly Canadian thing tbh. My parents had one installed in the UK over 20 years ago, and they're by no means good with the latest technology or trendsetters! I know a lot who have them.
Neighbours had one in Scotland, and we have had one here. Could take it or leave it personally. I'd much rather have dbd's red wine and convertible beetle. Although I'll probably just buy my own, well the wine at least.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Oct 18th 2014 at 4:46 pm. Reason: First post autocorrected dbd to dad!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Neighbours had one in Scotland, and we have had one here. Could take it or leave it personally. I'd much rather have dbd's red wine and convertible beetle. Although I'll probably just buy my own, well the wine at least.
I've never really seen the appeal either. When we gutted our house my mother couldn't understand why we didn't put one in, but I just don't see the point! Ditto for the conservatory she was insistent we should have. I think I was nearly disowned when I said we didn't like them either.

We do however, have a wine cellar. So plenty of space for the red wine. Priorities!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Or anyone not moving to the Okanagan. If one moves there one can have a pontoon boat, you know, and a caravan, and a swimming pool, and a mock-mock-Tudor house, for the children. The only downside is that one's children will be burdened by the envy of all those children with less caring parents.
You forgot one thing - the trampoline in the back garden or jumpoline as they used to call it before your mother gave it a try
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
You forgot one thing - the trampoline in the back garden or jumpoline as they used to call it before your mother gave it a try
I'll leave it to dbd33 to explain why that was a particularly unfortunate remark.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'll leave it to dbd33 to explain why that was a particularly unfortunate remark.
Poor DBD, he gets all the fun jobs.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I let it go. If someone is willing to spend a month coming up with a line they think is witty I think we can afford them a slight indulgence.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I let it go. If someone is willing to spend a month coming up with a line they think is witty I think we can afford them a slight indulgence.
I don't even understand the line.

I know that you had a trampoline, and why, but is there some subtle joke that I'm missing?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kind sir
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 2:42 am
Banned

Jack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to all

My wife qualified as a teacher in BC she was working in the UK when I met here, we've since moved to Vancouver.
Having had professional experience of both countries, we'll be moving back to the UK simply coz the education system is so much better.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 2:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge
My wife qualified as a teacher in BC she was working in the UK when I met here, we've since moved to Vancouver.
Having had professional experience of both countries, we'll be moving back to the UK simply coz the education system is so much better.
Sounds like a plan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.