Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
I am afraid I don't know this user account and can't answer you the question why it has been deleted, nor do I have the rights to delete accounts.
Sorry. It is (or was) lookingtogo. Ring any bells now?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

@ JonboyE

Thanks for the answer. I am and was not aware what "a few years ago" some posters in this forum, would be immigrants and landed immigrants may have written here in this forum and what their motivation would have been.

I live in Canada now, however travel to the London UK quite frequently, and oddly, many of my friends in London are Canadian and work as teachers in various public schools. They all seem to agree that the education system in Canada is better than in the UK, or at least compared to London and their only motivation for coming to the UK is simply lack of jobs in Canada.

In that context I often wondered if the education system might be one motive for somebody coming to Canada. On the other side my Canadian friends are teaches in London, sometimes in the worst areas of the cities, and the education system in bigger cities is always a bit different than in rural communities or medium size towns.

That motivated me for starting this thread.
Were your friends educated in the same place as you?

There is a search engine called Google on the internet.

Basically a blank screen with a block in the middle similar to writing a post on here.

If you type in the key words of what you'd like to know in the space in the block it pulls up a wealth of information.

You will find comprehensive studies on international education systems by credible organisations.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The elite education is far better in the UK. The rest of the dross is about as drossy. But tbh, the main factor in academic achievement is usually based on familial socio-economic level. The one thing you may find liberating is that as a foreigner you'll be almost class neutral here.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 16th 2014 at 10:47 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Site Rule #16 covers multiple user names. I am not clear why this rule can be applied, since I only used the same user name as always.
Yeah.

How odd then that the other usernames shared IP addresses, and other similarities including the same pertinent dates/location in Canada, registration email addresses etc. Including one called 'cabbage123' - which if it's really not you is one heck of a coincidence.

Just for the record though Novo, lookingtogo closed their own account, they weren't banned - if it's says 'account closed' that means they've chosen to leave the forum, if the karma button is missing, it means one of the mods have shown them the door.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just for the record though Novo, lookingtogo closed their own account, they weren't banned - if it's says 'account closed' that means they've chosen to leave the forum, if the karma button is missing, it means one of the mods have shown them the door.
Oh, well, I'll leave this stuff to Sherlock and your good self then.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A few years ago we had a number of immigrants or potential immigrants who claimed they were moving "for the children" or "to give the children a better future." Other posters accused them of lying and that they were just using the children as an excuse.

Since then, "for the children" has been a (rather unfunny I think) running joke used by some to suggest a poster is not being as honest as they could be.
This is news to me. I did think the children were often an excuse but would have chosen self-deluding rather than lying to describe the attitude of those posters. Hence I've never caught the inference that "for the children" used in the running joke implied dishonesty, just a rose tinted view.

I am, of course, something of a naif among a band of cynics.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:36 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is news to me. I did think the children were often an excuse but would have chosen self-deluding rather than lying to describe the attitude of those posters. Hence I've never caught the inference that "for the children" used in the running joke implied dishonesty, just a rose tinted view.

Agreed. On the other hand, I would be happy to describe you as clinically sane, rather than cynical. Naive is a descriptor that would reluctantly come to my mind.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is probably more accurate.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We moved partly for our kids. We didn't actually have any yet, these were just the ones we hoped to have one day. Reality was we couldn't admit, even to ourselves, that we were actually running away from things that followed us. The truth was too uncomfortable to admit back then.

I'd say it can definitely be a consideration, but not likely the primary reason, but that's just coming from my own perspective.

As for the quality of education, I don't think there's a huge amount in it academically, but the styles of delivery are different, and there are different options for that depending which area of which country you're in, and whether you're willing to pay for it. So there's that I suppose.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry. It is (or was) lookingtogo. Ring any bells now?
Again, I am afraid, no. I don't really recall all the names here.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dashie
We moved partly for our kids. We didn't actually have any yet, these were just the ones we hoped to have one day. Reality was we couldn't admit, even to ourselves, that we were actually running away from things that followed us. The truth was too uncomfortable to admit back then.

I'd say it can definitely be a consideration, but not likely the primary reason, but that's just coming from my own perspective.

As for the quality of education, I don't think there's a huge amount in it academically, but the styles of delivery are different, and there are different options for that depending which area of which country you're in, and whether you're willing to pay for it. So there's that I suppose.
Thanks for sharing this insight.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It always seems rather smug and superior to me, as if anyone not emigrating is participating in child abuse.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie

I hear you.

You can't run from alcoholism.

At least here you don't have to elbow your way to the bar here. Perhaps in that sense they are better educated in Canada.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It always seems rather smug and superior to me, as if anyone not emigrating ...
Or anyone not moving to the Okanagan. If one moves there one can have a pontoon boat, you know, and a caravan, and a swimming pool, and a mock-mock-Tudor house, for the children. The only downside is that one's children will be burdened by the envy of all those children with less caring parents.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Or anyone not moving to the Okanagan. If one moves there one can have a pontoon boat, you know, and a caravan, and a swimming pool, and a mock-mock-Tudor house, for the children. The only downside is that one's children will be burdened by the envy of all those children with less caring parents.
Saving this to show my kids. I'm pretty sure these are grievances they hadn't even considered (yet). Well perhaps except the swimming pool. Always nice to be able to help them be aware of exactly how unlucky they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.